Forza Motorsport 4 and GT5 - A comparative review

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fogerty_Jr
  • 5 comments
  • 2,194 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
273
Italy
Italy
I've had the chance to try Forza 4 on a friend's xbox (I'm a PS user since PS1 and a GT user since GT1, and I've never had any other console from then on).

Well, the GAME itself is absolutely amazing. They have improved lighting, shadows, polygons on cars and tracks, and pushed the hardware to unexpected limits. What I like the most in Forza is it being sort of "plug and play" game: it has a simpler interface than GT5, and in that reminds me the glorious GT3, in which "fun" was the key word and which has been -in my opinion- the most entertaining GT so far.
Forza is a strange case. This series begun as a copy of Gran Turismo, so that people on xbox can have a comparable racing game too. It never reached the spirit and the enchantment of GT, because, amongst other things, it is rather about driving than about "loving cars". But Forza 4 is TECHNICALLY a better game than GT5 is, and that's mainly because it looks like a finished and well polished product, where GT5 seems to have been released before it was completed: a lot of great ideas, whose development has been suddenly ended before it was finished because the game had to be released. It is hard to say that for me, having played and loved all the 5 GTs, but this time PD has been bested. Not by turn ten, but by themselves. The errors have been mainly logistic: they should have released GT5 at PS3 launch just by adapting, upscaling and improving GT4, a work that could have been done in a couple of months, and then they could have worked on the masterpiece (GT6) they intended to develop, being more relaxed: without fans, sony and competitors forcing them to hurry up all the time. Instead, what we've got is an improved version of GT4 (which should've been released 5 years before) along with some parts of the masterpiece which should have been released later and called GT6. Also, they have probably overestimated the PS3 potential, and on that field I'm pretty much sure that the x86 based xbox 360 is way more "programmer friendly" than the cell based PS3 architecture is. As an example, any graphic programmer could render a car for Forza using any 3d program, and it would be a piece of cake to include it in the game. Conversely, on the ps3, each single car, and every single 3d element has to be SPECIFICALLY designed for the ps3 structure, which takes an enormous amount of time to the developers.
That being said, Gran Turismo is still the milestone for what concerns car physics and driving pleasure. It's Gran Turismo, no doubt about that, and I wouldn't change it for any other driving game, that including the amazing forza 4, which I would enjoy playing, for sure, but AS WELL, not INSTEAD.

Hope this thread of mine does not generate anger, flaming or bashing. Hopefully, it will produce a pacific exchange of opinions from those who have tried both the games, instead. I am a PS3 user, and a huge fan of the gran turismo series, and I've tried to be the most objective that I could.
 
The errors have been mainly logistic: they should have released GT5 at PS3 launch just by adapting, upscaling and improving GT4, a work that could have been done in a couple of months, and then they could have worked on the masterpiece (GT6) they intended to develop

I I I.... no. I know what you're trying to say with that, I really do, but NOOOOO!!!! I'm not angry at all, I'm just surprised.

Instead, what we've got is an improved version of GT4 (which should've been released 5 years before) along with some parts of the masterpiece which should have been released later and called GT6
That's not even remotely true. This part angers me. RAWRRRR
 
That's not even remotely true. This part angers me. RAWRRRR

Don't we have 800 upscaled cars from GT4? Don't we have upscaled tracks from GT4?
Objectiveness, please. We could have had GT5 with 800 standards and almost the same tracks of GT4 in 2006. This would have allowed them to work with less pressure on GT6 which would have been a masterpiece and we could ALREADY have it as we speak!
 
what's good about a game if it's polished but still not as fun ? ;)
 
. Also, they have probably overestimated the PS3 potential, and on that field I'm pretty much sure that the x86 based xbox 360 is way more "programmer friendly" than the cell based PS3 architecture is.

Just as a very minor point, the Xbox 360 is not X86 based, it has a PowerPC chip, similar to what used to power high end Apple Computers before the switch to intel chips, as well as some IBM servers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back