Forza Motorsport 7's Dynamic Weather System Offers a More Visceral Experience

As far as i can tell, this is no true dynamic weather. What we saw at E3 was scripted for sure. Basically, a rainy race still remains a rainy race, like in Forza 6. The only difference is that now, the rain will change during the race. It will even stop at some point. But the road will remain wet. Its great to look at, but i'm affraid it will be predictable. With true dynamic weather, the conditions should be different any time you start a race, with the rain coming and going as it pleases. However, it seems you wont be able to switch to intermediates, full wet tyres or normal tyres so i bet it will always rain tyres under pretty much scripted conditions. Maybe i'm wrong, we will see.
I can't tell if It was entirely scripted or not, but I asked myself one question: what could happen next if that wasn't a 2 laps race? The weather is cloudy, at the very beginning, then the rain kicks in, more heavily as the time goes by and the end we see the sun through the clouds. Is that the "limit", so to speak, for weather ribbons? Or can the weather get better? Or are the clouds supposed to roll in once again, hiding the sun light and starting the loop one more time?
I think we'll have to wait for the full game to be released to know how this system works.

I can't tell if It was entirely scripted or not, but I asked myself one question: what could happen next if that wasn't a 2 laps race? The weather is cloudy, at the very beginning, then the rain kicks in, more heavily as the time goes by and the end we see the sun through the clouds. Is that the "limit", so to speak, for weather ribbons? Or can the weather get better? Or are the clouds supposed to roll in once again, hiding the sun light and starting the loop one more time?
I think we'll have to wait for the full game to be released to know how this system works.
Or was that just a small demonstration that would be used to show the differences between weather systems/TOD within the track? I imagine that being the most likely scenario. I doubt a race is going to just loop that endlessly with the same scenario running over and over again for 5 minutes at a time.

There's all too little information right now to make a final call on a game that was just announced last weekend.

As far as i can tell, this is no true dynamic weather. What we saw at E3 was scripted for sure. Basically, a rainy race still remains a rainy race, like in Forza 6. The only difference is that now, the rain will change during the race. It will even stop at some point. But the road will remain wet. Its great to look at, but i'm affraid it will be predictable. With true dynamic weather, the conditions should be different any time you start a race, with the rain coming and going as it pleases. However, it seems you wont be able to switch to intermediates, full wet tyres or normal tyres so i bet it will always rain tyres under pretty much scripted conditions. Maybe i'm wrong, we will see.

Not sure if you understand what dynamic means, if it isn't raining and then starts raining and stops again... that's dynamic.

In interviews they said that there will be options for messing with the weather during a race.

A lot of you guys can't seem to make the difference between dynamic and randomized.

It does not matter if it is preset or not, if the weather changes while you're racing, it's dynamic. That we can all agree on.

What most of you want is randomized weather, which is something entirely different. While yes, it is still dynamic, it's a completely different algorythm, one that is much more complex, and something very, very few game studios have accomplished properly. (looking at you SMS and PD just to name those two, with your horrible "it MUST rain at least once every race" dynamic setup.) In fact, the last game I played absolutely that nailed the randomized/dynamic weather was ISI/EA's F1 Challenge 99-02 Championship for PC, in 2003... The regions of the world where rain is a strong possibility during a race weekend (Malaysia, UK, Monaco, Belgium and such) had a much bigger chance to see rain than the places rarely affected by it (Spain, Italy, Australia, etc...) and thus made it much more believable.

Or was that just a small demonstration that would be used to show the differences between weather systems/TOD within the track?
That's very likely. I was merely thinking out loud, curious to read others' posts on the matter. Most around the web seem more interested in comparing rain drops on the windshield, something I don't really care about.

Back