Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 17,848 comments
  • 2,810,280 views
What a crying shame this game was abandoned. Yes it is massively flawed but the potential is enormous. The "career" mode is barebones, the UI less intuitive than previous entries but the actual on track driving has never been better. With Asha now in charge of Xbox is there hope the series can be rekindled? Every time I hop in the game for a hotlap around the Nurburgring I fall in love with the games fundamentals because they are just so right. It is the best playing racing simulator ever made for a gamepad, nothing comes close. I love my wheel and playing Assetto Corsa, Rfactor 2 etc but now many of us are older, with a wife and kids it's much less practical to set the wheel up and nerd out. Being able to just boot up the game and pull out your trusty Xbox pad and have a secret nerd out session, flying your favourite cars around your favourite tracks WITHOUT having to pull the rig out is fantastic. I have played GT7, the gamepad gameplay is mediocre, they haven't got gamepad gameplay right since...GT4? Lose the rear end in a car and you're dead. In Forza? You can realistically manage and caress the car back to where you want it. Why can no other dev come close in this area?

I am convinced if Asha gave the greenlight to revamp this game, give it a proper Forza Motorsport 4 career mode with world tour + event list, spruce up the AI and added all the new car models and remodels from Horizon 6 this game could have a massive resurgence.

Graphically they don't need to do much, the game already looks stunning with RTAO enabled, and I also tweaked the colour pallet to be a bit more muted, more Forza Motorsport 4 or GT7 like I guess


View attachment 1566231

Come on Xbox, don't let this series die! Yes Horizon is fun but it's so SO much more shallow than a proper focused track racing simulator, and one that's plays so well on the pad needs to thrive for us old ****s.
I have always been fully supportive of this game getting more support. To be honest I have not touched FM23 in at least 6 months because there isn't really a point to me to keep playing much. While lately I have been getting the itch again seeing all this good racing in IMSA and WEC has got me wanting to race some more. Plus im not fully convinced yet to go all in on PMR. I agree with everything you said about FM, it's the best racing game on game pad, nothing else comes close. The wording from Phil Spencer almost 2 years back still sticks in my head when he said along the lines of sometimes you have to press pause to focus on a newer game but FM isn't necessarily dead. Idk what he truly meant but as we see it's currently in the dead status for this game. Can it get revived? Yes I do think it can be but sooner than later, since we are already hearing buzz about the next system which could be out before the decade is over. A few more tracks, a few dozen more cars spread out over current divisions, some more AI tweaks and additions to career mode can't hurt. Online was/is already solid for the most part.
 
Last edited:
I've been messing with the files in FM and trying to get the cockpit view more like Gran Turismo 7s. I find you sit way too high in Forza games

FM

1.webp


GT7

gt7.webp


Modded FM

2.webp


As you can see its much closer to GT7, only issue is the body is clipping with the camera at the bottom of the screen which I'm trying to remedy atm
 
What did you do to achieve this, and is it something just anyone can do? It bugs me that FM's camera seems to be pointed downward towards the ground. I felt that I had to look towards the top of my screens when I play Forza.

Also, I discovered FM looks pretty good with the resolution scale turned all the way up. I went back to single screen for now, and I am able to jack the graphic settings up. For a while I was running full RTGI, but now I am not running RT but I have the resolution scale set to 200%, and it almost negates the need for a post processing sharpening filter VIA reshade.
 
Last edited:
The official funeral of Turn 10


  • Playground and Turn 10 will come together as one studio focused on the Forza and Fable franchises. These two studios have been creative and franchise partners for over a decade, and today’s changes will formally move their work into one team.
Pretty much just a support team now to Playground's work on the Horizon games.
 
Chris Esaki didn’t just kill FM(8). He didn’t just kill the Motorsport franchise. He killed the entire studio.
 
Chris Esaki didn’t just kill FM(8). He didn’t just kill the Motorsport franchise. He killed the entire studio.
I would argue the most prolific source of blame, as is the case with many costly decisions in Xbox, is with Microsoft itself. This "reset" would not have needed to happen in the first place if they didn't make one costly judgement after another.
 
Last edited:
Update: 9/22/26, 11:45 a.m. ET: When asked about how the merger between Turn 10 and Playground will work, Xbox told Kotaku that there is no new studio name. Instead, Xbox confirmed that Playground co-founder and studio head Trevor Williams will continue to lead Playground Games. That seems to imply Turn 10 is no longer a studio and has been fully absorbed by Playground Games.

RIP Turn 10. It may have ended badly but we had some great fun over the years.
 
This is a stretch for sure but do you think that maybe Playground games could pick up the pieces from T10 and maybe continue the FM franchise?
 
This is a stretch for sure but do you think that maybe Playground games could pick up the pieces from T10 and maybe continue the FM franchise?
Chances are virtually non-existent. They may want to but the bosses at Microsoft are cutting all underperforming games and concentrating on the most popular & succesaful franchises (as you’d do before selling off the entire gaming business, but that’s a different discussion).
 
This is a stretch for sure but do you think that maybe Playground games could pick up the pieces from T10 and maybe continue the FM franchise?
Best case scenario: probably if they finish Fable.

But FM2023 can no longer be updated or salvaged, which means the most logical option would be a potential Forza Motorsport 9.
 
Phil Spencer is not exempt of blame, IMO. And Covid, and Xbox's hiring practices.
I would argue the most prolific source of blame, as is the case with many costly decisions in Xbox, is with Microsoft itself. This "reset" would not have needed to happen in the first place if they didn't make one costly judgement after another.
Yeah, that was probably a bit harsh on my part. Let me try this again, without assigning blame to any one person: Imagine you’re Chris Esaki. The game you spent years shepherding to completion, a game you were so proud of, was so harshly rejected by gamers, it killed not just the game and the franchise, but also, it would appear, the studio as well. That’s got to hurt.
 
The official funeral of Turn 10



Pretty much just a support team now to Playground's work on the Horizon games.
This is so sad. So no more Motorsport in the future apparently.
 
Last edited:
This is a stretch for sure but do you think that maybe Playground games could pick up the pieces from T10 and maybe continue the FM franchise?
Not a chance. Microsoft sees Motorsport as a series that's no longer worth supporting, and so they've decided to give it the axe. Typical cost-cutting measures including the mass layoffs and the consolidation of all resources going towards Horizon made it abundantly clear this was going to be the fate of Turn 10 and Motorsport itself.

Forza will only be Horizon now.
 
This is a stretch for sure but do you think that maybe Playground games could pick up the pieces from T10 and maybe continue the FM franchise?

But FM2023 can no longer be updated or salvaged, which means the most logical option would be a potential Forza Motorsport 9.
Gentleman, I've being saying this before and I'll say it again:

toy-story-dont-count-on-it.gif


Horizon is the future of Forza moving forward and Microsoft will not approve another game for a franchise they themselves basically killed all because it didn't make the sales they wanted.
 
It hurts to say it, but we have to face the music: It's over for Motorsport. It's been over for a while, and the writing had been on the wall that Horizon was going to be the sole focus going forward.

Talking about whatever could be hypothetically next is moot. It's the end of an era. The next step is when MS eventually decides to shut down the servers.
 
Best case scenario: probably if they finish Fable.

But FM2023 can no longer be updated or salvaged, which means the most logical option would be a potential Forza Motorsport 9.
This is a stretch for sure but do you think that maybe Playground games could pick up the pieces from T10 and maybe continue the FM franchise?
Not anytime soon IMO.

I think any available resource Playground's Forza team has should be dedicated to improving FH6's live service, which is copping a fair amount of stick at the moment.

There's also two expansions to complete, and probably pre-production to begin on FH7.

This isn't even accounting for them trying to finally ship Fable after 8+ years of dev time (and being over budget)

Why would PG dedicate any resources to FM, with all this on their plate? Especially with projects in the pipeline that are guaranteed to sell better/get more players (FH7/FH6 Expansions/Fable) than any hypothetical FM2023 revival/FM9 would.
 
This series has such huge potential. Remember how big of a deal Forza 3 and 4 were at release? Genuine system sellers. Look at how incredibly well Gran Turismo sells. All it needs is a passionate team behind it and it'll thrive once more. I hope one day they have another to at it and it doesn't fade into oblivion like PGR did
 
Last edited:
Jumped ship to PMR while waiting on AC Evo and LMU, and all these new rally options...

Jumping ship to PC or PS6 if Xbox don't sort this with the money they make from FH6, which I've happily avoided.

Enjoying life after GamePass, multiplayer would be nice but there's a free with ads version, and they've no valid option but to make it free if going PC.
 
What did you do to achieve this, and is it something just anyone can do? It bugs me that FM's camera seems to be pointed downward towards the ground. I felt that I had to look towards the top of my screens when I play Forza.

Also, I discovered FM looks pretty good with the resolution scale turned all the way up. I went back to single screen for now, and I am able to jack the graphic settings up. For a while I was running full RTGI, but now I am not running RT but I have the resolution scale set to 200%, and it almost negates the need for a post processing sharpening filter VIA reshade.
its editing the camerasttings.ini and cameraphysics.xml in the camera.zip, located in Forza Motorsport>media>base

the issue is it's a universal adjustment so for supercars and racecars where the seating position is already low, the camera is much too low, such as this XJ220
3eea1d0e-84ac-4c01-abc4-6de019679f06.webp


i have a folder saved with different heights, so if i go for a long phase of driving hatchbacks, where T10 put the camera way too high, I'll paste in my low seat position, when I go back to sports cars I revert easily back to vanilla
 
Last edited:
Nothing lasts forever. I hope the Turn 10 developers land somewhere better.

FM4 and FM6 were the last FM games I played. FM6 was actually quite fun- I enjoyed what T10 did with it over time, but realized they were not at all the same studio from the FM2 to FM4 days.

What a shame to see how it all panned out.

I think it’s time for me to play the FM4 soundtrack - I’ll never forget waking up at 5 am before classes to get a race in, just enjoying the music.

 
This whole situation is so disappointing, even depressing to be honest. I grew up with this franchise, and it's what introduced me to cars, racing, and everything related to those two. It was to be expected that something like this would happen ( taking into account the TERRIBLE launch and most likely the lack of incentive from Microsoft to continue funding the game ), But I always kept telling myself that things would get better, I still had hope. But in the end it was all in vain, Forza Motorsport was destined to die from the start and lying to myself that they would fix this only prolonged the inevitable. I honestly don't know what to do anymore. Although I like the Forza Horizon franchise, it's really not the same, and I don't have the time, patience AND money to try simulators. I guess I could save some money or whatever to buy a PS5, but buying a whole console just to play one game that isn't even good with controllers definitely WON'T be a pleasant experience.

Sorry for that overly emotional yapping, but this is just SO disappointing...FM was one of the main exclusives that sold countless consoles back in the day; I'm sure it was important to the company in the long run. XBOX/Microsoft can't simply ignore their entire history with this and just kill it and leave the whole franchise in a ditch to rot, right? RIGHT?

Alright, enough crying... I'll also include one of the BAZILLION FM soundtracks that I really like as a way to reminisce about the "good 'ol days" (even if it they weren't THAT old to be completely honest, i don't even know why I said that :dunce:)

 
Last edited:
Can someone with a 5080 (or higher) also with enough performance to spare, turn the game's details up to 200% and run full RTGI? Is this possible at 1440, and or 4k?
 
Hello i didn't see anyone mention this...so more tour has been added back but still time gated:

Mid engine Tour who start next thursday
American Thunder Tour in 39 days
Porsche Tour in 67 days
and Velocity Tour in 102 days as of im writing right now.

Thats it.
 
Can someone with a 5080 (or higher) also with enough performance to spare, turn the game's details up to 200% and run full RTGI? Is this possible at 1440, and or 4k?
Thanks for giving me a Saturday morning assignment, here's my report. You can pull full RTGI on Ultra (4K) or High (1400p) graphics settings even on a 4070 super, provided your upscaler is set at performance and you use Preset L from the Nvidia app.

I also tested presets K and M, but with K you lose considerable detail in the distance, and with M you get a lot of shimmering in dense vegetation which is very noticeable if you run in Fujimi Kaido or Nordschleife.

Since my monitor is 1440p with a maximum refresh rate of 165Hz, I use the High graphics set and full RTGI at high and I get nearly constant 83 fps. I can imagine that upper cards like the 4070 ti, 4080, 5070 ti and 5080 will get more performance and visual quality.

Now, this shows that FM on PC is a very different animal from it's console version and I dare say, it handicapped the game's full potential.
 
Last edited:
The writing was on the wall when Microsoft laid off half of the staff and consolidated whatever remained of the team into Playground Games to work on Horizon. That was the moment you knew where this was headed.

Horizon will be the only Forza game going forward, I'm afraid. The sad reality is companies like Microsoft value profit margins over the little things that matter most. Games nowadays cost millions/billions of dollars to make, and you know companies like Microsoft want to recoup those losses. They want to see to it that their projects can grow & be profitable. If it doesn't meet those expectations....well, it gets canned. We've seen it with Anthem, I'm sure it's happened to other games, and now we're seeing it with Motorsport.
Gentleman, I've being saying this before and I'll say it again:

View attachment 1566649

Horizon is the future of Forza moving forward and Microsoft will not approve another game for a franchise they themselves basically killed all because it didn't make the sales they wanted.
Also, I feel they might as well stop acknowledging Motorsport in the future at all, since in addition to what has been mentioned, public (not just Xbox) perception is that Forza and Horizon are synonymous. This will mean the birth year of Forza could as well be retconned from 2005 to 2012.
 
Last edited:
Back