Forza Motorsport needs to step up.

• Thread starter Tensai-san
  • 7 comments
In the first ever Forza Motorsport game for the XBox, you had Forza Motorsport Branded Aerodynamic kits for the front, rear, AND THREE different rear wings to choose from. In simulation mode, you were able to wear your engine out from bouncing off the rev-limiter.

Then Forza Motorsport 2 for the XBox 360 came out. The amount of pre-tuned racing cars in that game were too many to count! The car sounds and aspiration sounds were very raw! Not correct, but raw! Like a racing simulator should be! Forza Motorsport was on track with making a proper racing simulator. But, the damage to the engine was no longer for rev bouncing. The three different rear wings from Forza Motorsport branded Aero was no longer, only one. The collision damage was very realistic as well. A bump on the car barely damages the vehicle just like in real life. The feel of the car was highly realistic in that game too. The horsepower and speed factor was highly realistic in that game. You can feel the tyres in that game as well. Tons of grip.

Then, out came Forza Motorsport 3 for the XBox 360. The game featured cockpit view, which was a 1st-person view from the inside of your car. But, in cockpit, the driver only moves the wheel at 90 degrees lock-to-lock, the shifter and the handbrake doesn't move when activated, and the driver's hand moves in the exact same place for the handbrake and shifter, just moves the hand differently based on what was activated. This carried on to the next Forza's. They had also feature a new clutch function, which was one of the most realistic clutch models in any simulator. There were alot of new tracks and cars, but alot of pre-tuned racing cars were gone, and there were more factory driving cars than racing cars. The damage in that game then became dumbed down. Small collisions in that game nearly wrecked your car, and barely took damage mechanically. The tyre grip was dumbed down, but the all around physics of the car was still as good as the previous game, not making it an issue.

Then came Forza Motorsport 4. The cars were completely re rendered, the sounds were practically re-done. Now, the car sounds somewhat sound more "correct", but no longer sound raw. The physics were updated, the feel is somewhat decent, but then came the simulation problem. The tyres feel like plastic, the fuel takes HOURS to run out, and the same with tyre wear, and you can't burn out your clutch or engine. Many people that uses wheels like Fanatec at 900 degrees usually complain about the force feedback support and the linearity for Forza Motorsport 4. It's not a real problem. Many people also don't use simulation steering, which was made for the wheel. On normal steering, the game fully locks at 540 degrees, with the wheel set to 900. On simulation steering, the problem as to why people (mainly drifters) do not use simulation steering is because they are not used to the countersteering aid that normal steering offers. If you were to observe a person drifting on 900 degrees with normal steering, they don't use much countersteer that would normally be needed in real life. Simulation steering utilizes full 900 degrees and makes the car a bit "snappy" and "twitchy" like a real car. The body roll and weight transfer is also almost correct.

Forza Horizon is completely out of the question considering it's not a simulator, but even in that arcade racing game you can feel the tyre grip better than in Forza Motorsport 4. This is not a rant, review, or a complaint.

This is simply an observation. With this observation that I share, I must know: Does anybody else notice what I do? All of my friends do, but what about the community? If more people were to come out to notice this, maybe in the next Forza Motorsport that I have high anticipation for would not just be the same Forza they put out for two games. Keep in mind this is all that I've witnessed for years and I'm not stating anything untrue. I do not want to argue with anyone about my observation, just simply let me know if you people too notice what I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Use paragraphs, please.

It's unlikely anyone will read that until you do.

Yes, Forza could do with a few changes. Tuning needs to be expanded and racing needs to be appreciated as a sport rather than a 5 minute game.

I think I recall Dan saying something like Forza is a balance between realism and fun at some point. I dread words like that. That's why we have 3 lap online races with no damage and the only rule in motorsports according to turn 10 is a somewhat silly class system.

Realism, depth, and fun are not mutually exclusive. They practically go hand in hand. Console devs need to learn that and at least provide more options for the more serious players.

That said I don't agree with everything in your post (and it was hard to read). One example being the tires which to me feel pretty good.

I agree with Exorcet, they could do more to offer "advanced" options for hardcore players. On the other hand, these games have always been more "driving games" than motorsports games. Anyone who wants pre-tuned racecars with an authentic motorsports experience should really be playing PC sims.
Then came Forza Motorsport 4...The tyres feel like plastic, the fuel takes HOURS to run out, and the same with tyre wear, and you can't burn out your clutch or engine.
I agree on the fuel and tire/clutch/engine wear, but the tire model in FM4 is far-and-away the best in the series so far. FM2/FM3 are quite "arcade" by comparison. Tires only have so much grip to give.
Forza Horizon is completely out of the question considering it's not a simulator, but even in that arcade racing game you can feel the tyre grip better than in Forza Motorsport 4.
I'll defend Horizon's simulation chops any day (it's underpinned by the same engine as FM4), but ultimately its tire model is not more realistic than FM4's. It's too grippy. If there's one thing on which I agree with you here, it's that Horizon's altered tire model manages to mask some of the problems plaguing the Forza physics engine, such as excess understeer due to a lack of proper handling balance. The sharper turn-in compensates for the rear end refusing to rotate like it should on corner entry; it's part of why I absolutely prefer Horizon over FM4. That and the upgraded suspension modelling (rebound particularly) and aerodynamic modelling (lift at high speeds).

Horizon is more dynamic and realistic than FM3, which is why it confuses me when its handling gets such a bad rap. Do people not remember how Forza was just a few years ago?

Then came Forza Motorsport 4. The cars were completely re rendered, the sounds were practically re-done. Now, the car sounds somewhat sound more "correct", but no longer sound raw. The physics were updated, the feel is somewhat decent, but then came the simulation problem. The tyres feel like plastic, the fuel takes HOURS to run out, and the same with tyre wear, and you can't burn out your clutch or engine.

I've broken your post down into paragraphs and as such its now actually readable.

On the physics points I have to agree with Wolfe on this, and re-iterate that you are simply wrong in regard to FM4's tyres. Grip levels and transition on them, while not perfect, are very close to what they should be and most certainly do not feel like plastic at all.

tensai-san
Then came Forza Motorsport 4...The tyres feel like plastic, the fuel takes HOURS to run out, and the same with tyre wear, and you can't burn out your clutch or engine.

Well, the fuel part is true, but you can ruin your clutch and engine if you drive incorrectly. Clutches can be burned out if you drive with manual/w clutch, and miss or simply dont use the clutch button/pedal. The gearbox will be shot pretty fast.

The same goes with engine, if you shift down too far, making the engine pass the RPM limiter. Try going 120 MPH down a straight, and shift quickly down to 1st. Then youll see engine damage.

But as far as just driving along, doing things like you should, then no, no wear and tear will occur, most likely since T10 have made limitations so it tunes within "daily driver" limits, and clutching somewhat smoothly so damage to the clutch is almost non-exsistent.

I enjoyed reading through the OP's post.

However, I'm going to have to blatantly disagree about the lack of grip. FM4's tyre and physics model is by far the best in the series, and the closest thing to pushing a really fast car over the edge, on a console at least.

I do wish every now and then, T10 would consider making Forza more motorsport friendly, and include elements from the PC driving sims. Realistic fuel/tyre wear.. animated pit stops. Full length races in career and arcade mode, pit stop strategy etc. A more diverse mechanical damage model.

One thing that really bugs me at times though, is why they keep excluding good elements from the previous games with each successive release. Boggles the mind.

Back