• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 21 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
Love Forza. Hate Forza. But admit something- it's grown a nice following in only its first year. It was described as paying homage to the Gran Turismo series, but many take it as Microsoft's answer to Sony. In the Microsoft vs. Sony rivalry, a new rivalry was already born- Gran Turismo vs. Forza Motorsport.

But now that a year has passed since this game's release, let's talk about what it's been like since this game was released. You can talk about what this game brought to the table, the classic GT4 vs. Forza rivalry we've discussed on here, or maybe if you're a GT fan but have respect for Forza too (like me). Wish Forza on a happy birthday.

So let's do some birthday honors, players!

Wow, it doesn't seem like a year since Forza. The time sure passes quickly :D

I have actually got Level 50 finally on Forza but if I have a bit of spare time Forza is one of the first games that I fire up for a quick blast, I love going drifting and building up as many modified cars as possible.
The drift physics are a bit simplistic, I think that it's probably too easy to hold a slide but that's part of what makes it fun, it's easy to jump back into and rip up the track.

I absolutely can't wait for Forza 2, my Xbox360 is going to get some serious use when it comes out.

Whether or not you like Forza, I only see it as a good thing that it came out for the xbox. A rivalry brings out the best in both games, because they are always trying to outdo each other. Hopefully this is the case with Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo. The fact that they coexist only means that we have 2 great games to choose from, or choose both.

Like TVR&Ferrari_Fan said, "Roll on E3 06!"

I think Microsoft did a very very good job with Forza and it is still one of my favorite race car games to this day. The smartest thing they did was make it online. That right away made the replay value a lot higher than GT4.
GT4 had the graphics and a lot of cars. Forza had the physics, smart AI, tire marks, damage, online play, and everything else you want in a race car game. It just lacked in graphics. You could also purchase other players cars and sell your own online. Dont forget the part that set Forza apart from the rest. 600 vinyls on one car and you could literally make any picture you wanted!!!! I love to create and design so when Forza came out I instantly put GT4 away for a long time. That got many people hooked including myself. Forza also allowed you to sell your parts and get the money back. I absolutely loved Forza and cant wait for Forza 2. I will buy a 360 when Forza 2 comes out. If I dont have one by then.
I was a long time GTfan but just think of how good they did with Forza on their first attempt. GT4 is going on the 5th attempt. Just imagine how incredible Forza 2 is going to be!!!!

I barely knew Forza existed until I got the craving for some next gen racing. When I learned that the PS3 wasn't going to be out till November, I got the need for some next gen speed badly. I stumbled onto an XBox playing the Forza demo at Comp USA and it didn't take any time at all to decide to get the XBox-Forza bundle.

It also didn't take much time to decide that despite a few warts - and idiot smacktard warbots - that this was one awesome game. It took a few tries to get through a few of the challenges, but in less than two months, I beat the game and unlocked all the cars. In fact I beat the last race, the Nurburgring F1 endurance, the day before the anniversary, how cool is that? Now I can race at my leisure, collect cars, mod and paint to my heart's content.

Compared to Gran Turismo, it does some things better, some things worse, so overall they're too nicely matched games which complement each other excellently. I basically bought the XBox just to play this game, and I don't regret it one bit.

Oh yeah. E3? HURRY IT THE HECK UP!!

Tenacious D
I basically bought the XBox just to play this game, and I don't regret it one bit.

Oh yeah. E3? HURRY IT THE HECK UP!!

Same here. Forza was the single reason I got an Xbox, but I do have to admit I've not played it much in the last six months. Still RSC2, PGR2 and Black keep me from getting rid of the X-box itself.

Regards

Scaff

i havent played forza in ages,ill blow off the dust ( and off the xbox ) ,and play it again,its boring compared to GT4, IMO,i got played forza for a few days,then went back to GT4,cant wait till Forza 2,but then again,i might not even get xbox360.

Really? I didn't get bored with it. I sure got aggrivated though! Those bots need a serious wrist slap. :P

But being able to take my breath and collect cars, mod and paint them is going to be so awesome, and give me a taste of what both Forza 2 and Gran Turismo 5 will offer us. And GT4 is still waiting patiently for me.

HBD Forza, i bought a Xbox just for Forza, it came with Halo 2 limited edition but i hardly play that. IMHO GT and Forza are equal in the end. Forza brings alot of things tot he table that GT doesnt, and vice versa. Ive had my Xbox for about 2 months, the forst 3-4 weeks i got up to level 40 and kinda stopped playing it for a while. Anyone know what level i get the Carerra GT?! i want to mod that thing really bad!!

...I think at the time, I kinda thought Forza was going to be a bit of a fluke... How could Microsoft Studios make a game that seemed to combine the main idea of Gran Turismo with the physics and car list from PGR, and throw in customization from Need For Speed Underground?

But I bought it the week it came out, played it to death, and I still play it to this day (although not as often as GT4 or PGR2).

Complaints:
- Too short
- Missing street-spec BMWs
- Occasionally too easy
- The g-d music... It SUCKS!

Praises:
- Fun physics and tire simulation systems
- Custom painting IS ground-breaking in a racing sim
- Finially someone made a racing sim with Porsche, Ferrari, etc. But where was Lamborghini?
- Had a few more classic tracks from around the world, but I want to see more...

needed more racetracks and its pissing me off that I cant do endurance races using the cars I want on the tracks I want. What kind of stupidity was that.

One thing Forza is missing, my all time favorite track... INFINEON!!!
They have Infineons car (Audi R8) But where is Infineon? My home town race track isnt HERE!

*sigh*

The reason i got Xbox, was for Forza, but for me, it's nothing compared to GT4.

I respect Forza for putting Ferrari, and Porsche in. But on my Forza, the AI are just complet DUMBASSES. All they do is crash into you, knock you off the track, and if they run off, they catch up in 5 seconds. They get random busts of what seems like 500hp. And then knock you off again. And then there the Xbx controller, which just makes it worse. Sure it's great for FPS, but it sucks for racing games. It gets to slippery form your sweat... my DS2 never gets slippery.. i don't know why, it just doesnt.

All in all, it's good, but GT4 for me, is sooooooo much better. Probaly cause it has more cars that i like.

I don't know. I probably think the AI just all of a sudden caught up with you as laps wind down. I know I was like that when I did the Forza demo a lot of times. If I lead, it seemed like the AI racers (keep in mind that there are four to a track with the Forza demos) just all of a sudden caught up to you even if you're running a perfect race.

I've still seen Forza as a game which is more like "we don't need PD to make Gran Turismo-style action. We can make our own and the way people want it." I was even attacked for suggesting that Forza Motorsport wasn't a game. Instead, I used to say it was a game that shown the faults of PD as Microsoft Game Studios created a game which basically gave disgruntled GT gamers with XBOX systems an alternative game which offers all of what GT offers, plus some Microsoft love (understatement!). In other words, I used to say it was a game to basically attack GT and not do much in terms of creating an enjoyable game. Now I have respect for Forza Motorsport for what it does, and even what it doesn't. I'm not easily enticed by the notion of "Lam Por Ferra" (though I've raced them at times in FM), but it is nice to see them included. They did a good job getting the models they could get their hands on. Many of their tracks are excellently-designed environment wise. Best fictional track probably has to be Alpine Hills Raceway, or whatever it's called.

Get this game NOW if you have an XBOX and love racing games. Maybe even get Forza Motorsport 2 a few years from now. No disrespect, but it's a GT XBOX fans can appreciate.

No, I can vouch that the bots really are cheap, especially when you get deeper into the game. They really do outperform how they should. It's just weird. I think it's from the old EA thinking that "cheapness equals replay value."

I'm still lvl 22. rarely play it since its not the best pick up and play game like GT4(100's cars in arcade mode). I dont think about forza like i do GT4 when i cant play them. The drifting is good and can be fun unlike GT4 which is more of a chore than enjoyment. My DFP and 1080i mode keep me coming back to GT4. Both can be equalling boring at times.

Good to know some of you still play Forza.

We (yes I'm on the Forza team) just announced Forza 2 for Xbox 360 -- and to celebrate the fact, I've relaunched our website and will be updating it weekly (daily if I could) with news and information on both Forza 2 and its development status as we move towards our end of the year release.

Stop on by and check it out when you get a chance -- http://forzamotorsport.net

Speaking of which, did anyone get to check out GT HD at E3 like I did? What did you think?

Chespace, be sure to look in the GT5 thread concerning GTHD. Many more foul words than anything smart. And of course, yours truly sounded off TEXAS STYLE on this issue.

It may not be as bad as John makes it out to be, but there was a lot of grouching over the fact that it was just GT4. With better graphics, more cars, animated crowds and environments, load times of almost nothing, all running at 1080p and 60fps. ;)

I know we were all hot n bothered to see some new GT5 footage, but maybe Polyphony is simply playing tag with you guys. Since Turn 10 didn't show anything substantial other than a video, they didn't either. It's hard to say though, Sony is playing some pretty strange games with consumers and competition alike.

I love both GT4 and Forza, but I find myself dusting off Forza more frequently than GT4. One year after Forza Motorsport, I'm amazed at how fun it still is to race and drift. Painting cars, engine swaps, damage and Xbox Live... I don't need 700 cars if that means 20 versions of the Skyline. I enjoy having the option to collect, paint and race Porsches and Ferraris.

I hate it when the AI runs me off the road or spin me out in Forza. The AI in GT does the same thing, but the physics in GT don't support realistic transmission of force durring collision, so its not as annoying when they smash into you. btw: I don't really "get" the Drivatar stuff.

I love GT, but we should be honest. GT4 dipped below 60 fps frequently. For example, at the start of any race on the old night track. The game would get a strange interlacing artifact by running every other line at 30 fps - the overall effect is a vibrating 60/30 fps hybrid. That's not to say that GT isn't a great game, I just wanted to inject a little reality intot he framerate claims.

Back