• Thread starter Lissa
  • 26 comments

Lissa

Still Topless
Premium
England
Rugby
LissaMR2
So, I've been playing Forza on my own console for just over a week now, and decided I would share my thoughts on the game.

There may not be as many tracks as on GT5, and the track rendering may not always be as pretty as GT5, but, to my eyes, the rendering of elevation changes seems far better. I've caught myself craning my neck trying to get a better view over the top of a hill (yes, I know, I'm an idiot!) and the first time I went down the mountain at Laguna, my stomach actually did a flip! I like all the tracks that are new to me, but, sad to say, I still hate flipping Motegi!

The car selection isn't as vast as GT5, but that's not a bad thing. Really, who wants 100 different versions of the same car? I'm sure Kaz must have lost his virginity in the back of a Skyline, and that's why he loves them so much. I've also never understood some peoples compulsion to own every car. Unless I need to buy a specific car for a specific event, I only want to own cars I would like to own in real life.

I like the fact that at every level increase up to 50 you get a choice of reward car, although I admit to agonising over which one to choose a lot of the time! Still, I've had all my freebies now, so will have to buy the rest.

The AI are spawn of Satan, but I'm learning to deal with them. If I can't beat them all to the first corner first, I hang back, let them through to beat each other up, then pick them off one by one.

I know nothing about tuning a car, but that's something else I'd like to get my head round, sooner or later. I've always been a lover of standard cars though, so it may take a while before the tuning bug bites.

Ditto with the livery editor. I look at some of the designs people have come up with and I'm blown away. I WILL have a try sooner or later, but at the moment I'm enjoying the driving so much, I don't want to spare the time.

That's pretty much it, but I would like to say just one more thing.

RENAULT 5 TURBO!!! I am in love! :D

Glad your enjoying it..And your thoughts are spot on...I think everyone would have to agree with everything you have said...Except for there are more cars in GT...I think you might be wrong...with all the car packs out there for FM4 its crazy...

If the only game you own is FM4, I think it could keep you busy for a solid year and not get tired of it....

I have just started playing Forza after being a GT player since the first one and I'm quite liking the gameplay so far.

I received an Xbox for Christmas after saying I was thinking of getting one to try Horizon! So now I'm playing both.

The major complaint so far is the fact that buying car packs doesn't add them to your garage, it only adds them to the game and you still need the in-game credits, the opposite of GT5.

Some of the tracks look very "shiny" as well and not quite a realistic as in GT5, but the variety of cars and the modelling is very good.

I haven't got into the tuning part of Forza either yet as I'm just playing with the stock cars I'm getting as level rewards.

I agree that the AI seem more aggressive than in GT5 as well with a lot more bumping in the first few corners.

Am enjoying it a lot though and am looking forward to some of the longer races once I get further on.

The Renault 5 Turbo is a great car in GT too!

Welcome to the dark side Lissa, hope you continue to enjoy both games.

There's something about Forza's driving model that makes even D- and E-class cars rewarding and fun to drive that I don't get in other games.

I know nothing about tuning a car, ...

Ditto with the livery editor.

That is another big plus for Forza: You dont have to know anything about tuning or painting. Because you can buy perfect tunes and liveries!

But you need an Live gold account for that. So please make good use of the free one month trial of Live Gold coming with your new XBOX. Because after one month these options are gone.

I have just started playing Forza after being a GT player since the first one and I'm quite liking the gameplay so far.

I received an Xbox for Christmas after saying I was thinking of getting one to try Horizon! So now I'm playing both.

The major complaint so far is the fact that buying car packs doesn't add them to your garage, it only adds them to the game and you still need the in-game credits, the opposite of GT5.

Some of the tracks look very "shiny" as well and not quite a realistic as in GT5, but the variety of cars and the modelling is very good.

I haven't got into the tuning part of Forza either yet as I'm just playing with the stock cars I'm getting as level rewards.

I agree that the AI seem more aggressive than in GT5 as well with a lot more bumping in the first few corners.

Am enjoying it a lot though and am looking forward to some of the longer races once I get further on.

The shiny tracks...yes you'll need to adjust your TV settings to accomodate that. And also don't increase the in game brightness over 50. Keep it at 40 or 45, and then adjust the brightness and contrast controls on your TV. Contrast should be kept between 65 and 75.

BTW, what color space and reference level settings have you set on your screen?

BTW, what color space and reference level settings have you set on your screen?

? Not sure really, it's a Panasonic plasma with the picture set to the THX settings.

Might turn the brightness of the game down a bit as it is noticeably brighter in FM4 and Horizon than GT5. Not really complaining though, am liking it all so far.

It is, but on Forza it also SOUNDS great! I can't believe I forgot to mention the superlative sound of Forza. Hammering down towards a hairpin in the Renault, then blipping down through the gears for the corner makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!

Welcome to the dark side Lissa, hope you continue to enjoy both games.

There's something about Forza's driving model that makes even D- and E-class cars rewarding and fun to drive that I don't get in other games.

I agree. I loved my little F class Rabbit so much I used it for all the E class events it was eligible for.

That is another big plus for Forza: You dont have to know anything about tuning or painting. Because you can buy perfect tunes and liveries!

But you need an Live gold account for that. So please make good use of the free one month trial of Live Gold coming with your new XBOX. Because after one month these options are gone.

I've already decided to buy a years membership after my free trial expires. It's not hugely expensive in the scheme of things, and although I may not buy much from the storefront the option to race online is a nice one to have, even if it's only ever Pete and myself racing the AI's.

We've worked out that our little joint foray into Forza has cost not much short of £1,000.00. That sounds a massive amount, but running the Duke for a year with the kind of mileage we normally did would have cost at least double that in just tyres and servicing, and at least if we crash now it won't hurt either us or our pockets! :D

I've been a frustrated GT5 player for the past 2 years too until now, I'm finally playing Forza 4, a little late to the party, lol I know, but it's been an amazing first week, I've done like 3 career races, I'm too busy testing cars and listening to them, but to tell you guys the truth, now that I have both systems, both games and even Shift 2 thrown into the equation I can't decide which one I enjoy more.

For once, I'm finally happy with all of my games because now I realize the good and bad points in each of them instead of being blinded by GT5 flaws and being negative in general with PD and Sony.

Welcome mikecustom, Forza 4 should fill some GT5 voids. I have always preferred Forza but to be a gamer with both allows for switching and seeing for yourself what is good and bad about both franchises.

Forza 4 for me is a game that is a blast, then becomes tiresome and then only to become a blast again a few days/weeks later. One thing for sure is the MP aspect of Forza is much better when it comes to car clubs, rivals and leaderboards.

Mess with the Livery editor and/or buy some stuff from the storefronts whether it be decals, tunes or designs, much to be seen in the Forza world and once again welcome!

Welcome mikecustom, Forza 4 should fill some GT5 voids. I have always preferred Forza but to be a gamer with both allows for switching and seeing for yourself what is good and bad about both franchises.

Forza 4 for me is a game that is a blast, then becomes tiresome and then only to become a blast again a few days/weeks later. One thing for sure is the MP aspect of Forza is much better when it comes to car clubs, rivals and leaderboards.

Mess with the Livery editor and/or buy some stuff from the storefronts whether it be decals, tunes or designs, much to be seen in the Forza world and once again welcome!

Thanks, I've entered the ''dark side'' like you guys say around here however I still need some Xbox LIVE friends so I can try out some of those features.
Anyway, thanks again.

Feel free to send me a FR, also if you are interested, Forza Planet has a Car Club (FPM) that can offer plenty of Rival challenges. Here is the info and google doc if you are interested http://www.forzaplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15

We are currently inactive when it comes to weekly races but every once in a while some of us get together. It offers some good clean racing (public lobbies can be brutal if you want to avoid crash derby) but until something is announced, the club can offer countless hours of Rival challenges against other club members.

Feel free to send me a FR, also if you are interested, Forza Planet has a Car Club (FPM) that can offer plenty of Rival challenges. Here is the info and google doc if you are interested http://www.forzaplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15

We are currently inactive when it comes to weekly races but every once in a while some of us get together. It offers some good clean racing (public lobbies can be brutal if you want to avoid crash derby) but until something is announced, the club can offer countless hours of Rival challenges against other club members.

Hey man, I checked out the thread and i would like to join up if that is ok? I have not tried any online races yet but i have spent several hours doing rivals.

There may not be as many tracks as on GT5, and the track rendering may not always be as pretty as GT5, but, to my eyes, the rendering of elevation changes seems far better.

The car selection isn't as vast as GT5, but that's not a bad thing. Really, who wants 100 different versions of the same car?

I just skimmed over your post since I wanted to leap into a reply after that first bit about the tracks.

When last I saw a track count, disregarding DLC, FM4 had more tracks than GT5. Also, only some of GT5's tracks look nice. Many look really graphically dated, including some that would be right at home on PS2. Laguna Seca, for example, in GT5 looked worse than it did in Forza Motorsport 2, which was a fairly early Xbox 360 release. Tracks like Trial Mountain look quite a bit worse still.

Regarding car selection, it should be noted that GT5 only has 220 or so cars. The other 800 cars are last-gen (or older). Every car in Forza is a current-gen model and looks like it, while only a little over a couple hundred were created for GT5 and the rest of the list is just older carry-overs that show it.

Regarding car selection, it should be noted that GT5 only has 220 or so cars. The other 800 cars are last-gen (or older). Every car in Forza is a current-gen model and looks like it, while only a little over a couple hundred were created for GT5 and the rest of the list is just older carry-overs that show it.

Not all the cars were scanned specifically for FM4. Many were updated versions of what they used in previous Forza titles. For example the 2008 Subaru WRX STi is pretty much the same model used in Forza 3.

Not all the cars were scanned specifically for FM4. Many were updated versions of what they used in previous Forza titles. For example the 2008 Subaru WRX STi is pretty much the same model used in Forza 3.
Regardless only someone with an axe to grind against Forza would say the F3 vintage models are comparable in appearance to a previous gen game.

T10 certainly did a better job at recreating all those cars than PD's half-assed "copy/paste from the PS2" attempt. :grumpy:

On a related note, I absolutely loved to death the tracks in GT4. I feel they didn't do enough to make them come alive in GT5.

I wish GT4/5's track could somehow be imported into FM4, with Forza's track detail and sharpness!

PD's original tracks are my least liked. Only like the real world tracks

Well OOOKKKAAAYYY for you...:lol: :lol: but even if it ISN'T a real track I miss Deep Forest.

I went back there last night, man I can rip around there in classes I used to dream of. I find FM4 better, tougher to drive in that GT5.

I used one of my old cars, Peugeot 905 and tore around Madrid. I only dream of that in here.

That may be part of the allure of GT5..it is so forgiving and easy to get around in. IMHO

Deep Forest is great. 👍

I quite like original tracks -- Gran Turismo has some good ones and Enthusia had a great set -- but I don't really like most of the original tracks in the FM series. They're too dull and wide, and the corner shapes tend to be quite "geometric," as if the landscape is built for the track instead of the other way around. I'm sure that's common, but T10 doesn't seem to hide it well.

I'm thankful that another studio developed Horizon, because if T10 had tackled it themselves the roadmap may have had about as much flavor as a sheet of cardboard.

Deep Forest is great. 👍

I quite like original tracks -- Gran Turismo has some good ones and Enthusia had a great set -- but I don't really like most of the original tracks in the FM series. They're too dull and wide, and the corner shapes tend to be quite "geometric," as if the landscape is built for the track instead of the other way around. I'm sure that's common, but T10 doesn't seem to hide it well.

I have the same thought as you do. ;)

Latest Posts

Back