Forza3 newbie

• Thread starter 87chevy
  • 6 comments
I just got 3 for Xmas and have only been playing 2 for a few weeks. I jumped into 3 wanting more of challenge than I was getting in 2 so I put it on hard and nearly all assists off.However I am not a racing simulation guru, and often times find myself trading paint.

1. How is the starting grid determined? It seems I always start 7th regardless of my PI or class.

2. I have been trying to match the 'suggested' class rating of races with my cars without going over and am constantly getting blown away it seems. Any tips? lol

My biggest issue of frustration is that nearly every race I get the best lap time, but not by more than 3/4 of a second usually. But because I get caught up in traffic on the first lap the lead car always seems to jump out there and I can never catch them with the few laps I have 2-4. Its really frustrating knowing I can run better laps but just can't win.

Bump the A.I down to Medium if you're having trouble. And remember, if you use the A.I as brake pads, the A.I will start using you as one aswell.

Without knowing what kind of car you are using or what your driving style is like, the best suggestion I can give at the moment is to work on your launches to hop ahead of some of the competition, and to get as familiar as possible with the track layout to maximize your ability to get around traffic. The grids are typically chosen based on your assumed lap time, so normally I start within the top three with almost all of my cars.

If you know the ins and outs of every track with a couple of your favorite cars, you should be good for just about anything.

For the earlier races where you're in class F or E, I personally make sure my PI for whatever car Im running is at the highest possible setting it can be at, and still be in the right class. Only because the races are so short on small tracks, and when you have the AI set to hard, it can be very hard to get up through the pack. At least for your first time through.. Later on it can be fun to race with the lowest PI possible and try and beat the faster cars. If you're having trouble upgrading the cars to the ideal PI without going over to a higher class, use the Auto Upgrade. But dont just use it and forget about it.. Use it, and see what it adds to your car, in what order. Eventually, you'll be able to do it yourself without even thinking, depending on what you want out of the car.

If you set the AI to medium however, you can run cars on the lower end of whatever class you're racing, and you shouldn't have a problem beating them if you know the tracks.

If you're using a controller, I highly suggest starting out with Medium AI, Traction Control and ABS on, and Driving line set to Braking only. If you're using a Wheel, Id turn ABS off. Then, as you become more comfortable with the way Forza Drives, and the tracks/cars, you can turn off the assists as you go, starting with the driving line, and ending with turning the AI to hard. Oh, also, Drive the cars with Manual/Clutch right from the beginning, even if you're using a wheel without a clutch pedal/shifter. On the controller or the wheel without a clutch pedal, set the clutch to one of the buttons. Its as simple as pressing two buttons at once, but once you get the hang of it, you'll will be faster using the clutch, all things considered.

Also, as a general, rule of thumb suggestion for online.. you should be able to smoke the AI on hard, with your assists off(at least traction and ABS off), before you go online and expect to be competitive. Contrary to what SOME may say(not all), there are some very talented drivers online for FM3. It took me a while to be at all competitive, and my first win was not only a tough one, but incredibly satisfying. One of my favorite online modes is Cycled Production, because there is no tunes allowed for the cars. Cars of all classes cycle somewhat randomly, and its completely driver skill/track knowledge. A Class is of course also fun, depending on the drivers, and I personally really live Oval/Nascar style. Definitely need a solid tune, and there is more car to car contact then other hoppers, but it can be a lot of fun, IMO.

As you might be able to tell, I really love Forza Motorsport. :) Cant wait for 4!

Hmm. I'm new to Xbox and Forza. I've been smoking the AI on medium. Guess I should bump it up. And I'm loving the game so far! Haven't played GT5 in days.

Back