Four-Wheel Steering Controller, how effective is it?

• Thread starter jergto
  • 9 comments
United States
United States
Just ran the 650PP Porsche cup @ Nurburgring in a detuned stock 918 to 649PP, after two attempts, 3rd place in the first attempt and in the 2nd attempt I somehow lost in acceleration to the finish line.

The 2nd race was such a heartache, I was door to door and somehow lost in acceleration to the finish line despite having awd and pressing the boost button for my hybrid car. I'm actually not sure the 918 has a E-boost button like the Tomahawk.

3rd attempt, I buy Race Brake Pads which oddly enough only raises the PP by like .49 and buy the Four-Wheel Steering Controller, leaving rear steering angle at 100. I got to 1st place several turns before the long straight. Does anyone know if the 4WS controller gives a major cornering improvement?

Btw, in that third attempt it started to rain, I was very surprised how planted and composed the two leading 911's were. I thought wow, these cars have to be cheating they had a ton of grip in the dry and in the wet no loss of grip. I get that they're very light weight but honestly surprised they were doing better than an awd car.

It does make a difference as far as I'm concerned. I did the same thing to my 918 and went over 1.5 seconds faster around Watkins Glen, where there was a notable improvement in cornering speed. The fact that it doesn't improve the PP is hilarious because there is a genuine performance benefit.

The car has 4 wheel steering standard you don’t need the controller to use it. The controller is there for you to tune the degree of application or have it outright off. Having it completely off has its benefits.

The car has 4 wheel steering standard you don’t need the controller to use it. The controller is there for you to tune the degree of application or have it outright off. Having it completely off has its benefits.
No it doesn't have it as standard.

No it doesn't have it as standard.

Yes it does, and all it needs to verify is using the car in 3rd person view.
Three weeks away from PS4 and GT7, so I didn't bought the 918 yet but it should have four wheel steering as standard to replicate the real world car.

That being said, I think that's it. Applying it to the max has is benefits on twisty bits of the Nordschleif, with the gains outweighing the losses. In other tracks and other situations, maybe the will rotate into corner too easily, making you back off throttle to not loose it, being slower.

Probably anything awd. Gonna double check after work.
One thing is 4WD or AWD (four wheel driving or all wheel driving), which refers to transmission of motion to the wheels, which is somehow common nowadays on road cars, specially on places where is expected snow and ice on the roads on winter, and are dozens of 4WD cars in the game.

Another thing is 4WS or AWS (four wheel steering or all wheel steering) which refers to all four wheels rotate to help the car turn, so to speak. There are some cars and is pretty frequent on heavy duty lorries to have steering in more than an axle, but not necessarily are 4WD cars also, completely different stuff. Of course, cars like GT-R, which bunch up many advanced technology features combine both, but there are some FWD and RWD examples too.
Notable real world cars with four wheel steering, just from the back of my mind:
  • Honda Prelude "4WS" (some years ago this was a kind of common car you could come across on the street)
  • Nissan Skyline GT-R
  • Nissan 300ZX
  • Mitsubishi GTO/3000GT
  • Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
  • Porsche 911 992 (some versions only)

There are more cars with this feature, but this are the ones who come instantly to my mind, some of them are in GT7, but not so many of them.

Back