FOV adjustment?

United Kingdom
channel islands
lebretonbros
I've been doing Google searches on and off for months and haven't been able to find confirmation one way or the other. I saw one post that says there is FOV adjustment in the main menu but not on track and a bunch of people saying there is no FOV adjustment. Now GT Sport is actually out, can someone tell me, does it have FOV adjustment (whether in main menu or in the pause menu) and if so, is it just presets or can it be set by degrees?

I've been doing Google searches on and off for months and haven't been able to find confirmation one way or the other. I saw one post that says there is FOV adjustment in the main menu but not on track and a bunch of people saying there is no FOV adjustment. Now GT Sport is actually out, can someone tell me, does it have FOV adjustment (whether in main menu or in the pause menu) and if so, is it just presets or can it be set by degrees?

Well it is camera adjustments make while racing. its make camera far / close and lift up and down. Thats kinda what fov is no?

There's no FOV adjustments in GTS atm. You're stuck with the default angle.

As @Scalman2 said, you can change height and go back and forward only (cockpit view).

Well it is camera adjustments make while racing. its make camera far / close and lift up and down. Thats kinda what fov is no?
Not really. FOV is about the angles you can see from one view point. With a wide FOV things begin to get a distorted appearance (sometimes called the fish-eye effect) and it feels as if you are travelling much faster. With a very narrow FOV, things look zoomed in but you also loose the sense of depth and therefore the feeling of speed. FOV adjustment is incredibly important especially when using a wheel based setup as it makes you feel like the car and track are the correct size when set properly.

Thanks for the replies. Seeing how GT Sport is so largely focussed on online racing, I was unlikely to purchase it anyway, but the lack of proper camera adjustment has made it a no go for me. Kaz and PD should really have figured out by now that FOV and camera adjustment is important to have in a game marketing itself as a sim.

I agree there's some improvements that can be made here.
I only race in cockpit, usually move the seat up a click or two, then move the seat forward all the way.
Even with these limited adjustments they offer, I still do not have very good sight lines with something comparable, say Project Cars 2.

But GT never has that thing. So its mean nothing to GT fans .
The issue here is that it is a vital setting to have for a racing sim and its omission from any game aiming to be more realistic than something like Mario Kart or the old Burnout games (i.e: Games not attempting to provide a convincing or even semi-realistic experience of actually being behind the wheel of a car) is a failing on the part of the developer (in fact, I'd argue that any game that uses a first person perspective SHOULD have FOV adjustment). People have different sized displays and sit at different distances from them. This means that a one size fits all or even three presets is unacceptable if aiming for an immersive experience. FOV and cockpit position adjustment are what places you in the driving seat and not having them can lead to a feeling of detachment.

The issue here is that it is a vital setting to have for a racing sim and its omission from any game aiming to be more realistic than something like Mario Kart or the old Burnout games (i.e: Games not attempting to provide a convincing or even semi-realistic experience of actually being behind the wheel of a car) is a failing on the part of the developer (in fact, I'd argue that any game that uses a first person perspective SHOULD have FOV adjustment). People have different sized displays and sit at different distances from them. This means that a one size fits all or even three presets is unacceptable if aiming for an immersive experience. FOV and cockpit position adjustment are what places you in the driving seat and not having them can lead to a feeling of detachment.
Agree, it makes a massive difference.

Personally I would like all sims to have not just FOV adjustment, but also a dynamic, speed sensitive one as well.

That way the FOV widens at speed, ensuring you can better judge speed, etc as well as providing more situational awareness around you, then narrowing as speed reduces allowing for better corner positioning and easier positioning of the car at turn-in, apex and exit.

Agree, it makes a massive difference.

Personally I would like all sims to have not just FOV adjustment, but also a dynamic, speed sensitive one as well.

That way the FOV widens at speed, ensuring you can better judge speed, etc as well as providing more situational awareness around you, then narrowing as speed reduces allowing for better corner positioning and easier positioning of the car at turn-in, apex and exit.
While I'd peronally opt for a fixed FOV, I think the option for dynamic FOV makes sense. I think NFS Shift might have had dynamic FOV, or at least one of the replay cameras did.

While I'd peronally opt for a fixed FOV, I think the option for dynamic FOV makes sense. I think NFS Shift might have had dynamic FOV, or at least one of the replay cameras did.
PC and PC2 has it, and combined with look to apex (another one on my 'must' list) I find it works excellently.

Just wondering. In the absence of FOV adjustment, is there a dashboard camera or does anyone know of a video that demonstrates the range of seat adjustment forward/back and vertically? Either Google just isn't what it used to be or literally nobody is covering this (in my opinion, fairly important) topic.

When you set the cockpit view full front and full rear, you have a massive difference of speed sensation. This in my opinion can be only figured by a change of angle of view . Isn t it what FOV setting is suppose to do in others game?? Why not in GTS ?

When you set the cockpit view full front and full rear, you have a massive difference of speed sensation. This in my opinion can be only figured by a change of angle of view . Isn t it what FOV setting is suppose to do in others game?? Why not in GTS ?
Well, sitting in a different position may alter your perception of speed but FOV is technically a measurement of viewing angle and is not open to interpretation.

Well, sitting in a different position may alter your perception of speed but FOV is technically a measurement of viewing angle and is not open to interpretation.
Well, not in the real world. If you stick your face to the wind shield of your car will not change your perception of speed. This is why i am asking if perhaps GTS have it mixed with the seat position. When change this parameter in Assetto that i play too, you do not have this sensation of gaining or loosing speed.Just my feel.

Well, not in the real world. If you stick your face to the wind shield of your car will not change your perception of speed. This is why i am asking if perhaps GTS have it mixed with the seat position. When change this parameter in Assetto that i play too, you do not have this sensation of gaining or loosing speed.Just my feel.
I don't own GT Sport so I'm unable to offer any useful input on this one.

If you could upload some pics of the various seat positions available I'd be grateful. Also, is there a dash camera view?
No angle of view change at all .
cview1.jpg
cview2.jpg

FOV adjustment would be an extremely welcome addition. The game could use that extra sense of speed.

Back