FOV Question

• Thread starter Woodybobs
  • 3 comments
Ireland
Ireland
Does anyone know what the numbers on the "Minimum/Maximum Speed Sensitivity" scales actually represent? The descriptor states, "This option determines the minimum FOV value at slower speeds".

My FOV should be set to 35 which what I use. If I turn on speed sensitivity, and set the minimum to 35 the game looks vastly different. Should it not be the same? I have to set it to 95 to have the same view at low speeds. Am I missing something, or is that descriptor misleading?

I've discovered the FOV speed setting option recently myself, quite liked it and started using. This the issue you're referring to was discussed in the following vid I'm going to include in the video link and discussed in the comments following the video. It was also not what the poster of the video originally thought (as yourself and possibly others including myself). As it turns out apparently the "Minimum/Maximum Speed Sensitivity" figure is more of a multiplier camera zoom adjustment of whatever FOV viewing distance setting you initially set.
Example: If you have FOV set at 35, a "Minimum Speed Sensitivity" of 100 will give you the same camera view or no zoom adjustment at minimum speed of the FOV you set (in your case "35"). 90-95% will give you a bit of zoom in....80% = more zoom in.....35% much more zoom in etc.

You should be pretty much ok with the "95" or so number you chose for just a bit of zoom in approaching your minimum speed. I have it set likewise.

As one commentator put it "The Minimum Speed Sensitivity and Maximum Speed Sensitivity are probably multipliers of the Camera. Ie 80 is 80% (or 0.8) of your 58, so 58 * 0.8 = 46.4, that is what it looks like to me. What I would suggest is you set the Minimum Speed Sensitivity to 100 and then you ideal FOV for finding low".

Check out the vid for a better understanding.
Project CARS 2 - Field-of-View, Part 2 - Examples of Static and Dynamic FOV

Last edited:
@davidt33 Thanks for the link. That has cleared everything up. I had watched part 1, which seemed to agree with SMS' wording. It was getting confusing because all the evidence pointed to the camera multiplier system.

Yes the two speed sensitivity settings do indeed seem to be a multipliers.

I also found this video very helpful in explaining it. You'll probably have to pause here and there to read the graphics. Although for PC1 the principal is exactly the same.

So at your required 35° Base FOV using your initial SS setting of 95 gives you a lower figure of 33.25 - which isn't far out. This will then gradually change to your upper limit at whatever speeds you set below.

Back