Fox cancels their only good show on Sundays

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tornado
  • 29 comments
  • 1,809 views
Messages
41,187
TV Week
Fox has canceled long-running animated comedy "King of the Hill." The show's most recent episode order of 13 half-hours will be its last, a Fox spokesman said Thursday. Given the lead time for animation, it's likely the series will air its final episode sometime during the 2009-10 season.




News of "King's" death isn't a surprise. The show has cheated death several times over the past few years, with Fox coming close to pulling the plug more than once.
Gary Newman, co-chairman of 20th Century Fox TV, told TVWeek earlier this month that renewals for "American Dad" and "The Simpsons" were imminent, but he wasn't so sure about "Hill."

"It's probably time [for Fox to make a decision]," Mr. Newman said. "I don't know if the network will be ordering more seasons or not. That show has had its last rites read to it several times, and keeps rearing its head again."
Linky.


I think this sums it up best:
Comments Page
How sad...a character and story driven animated series cancelled yet the steaming pile of gag jokes, American Dad and it forefather, Family Guy still exist. I guess it is cheaper to have shows that don't employ writers.
 
That was a "good" show? dokie okie...
 
Oh man that sucks, King of the Hill is such a great show. And agree, that comment does sum up my thoughts as well.

And yah V1P3R it was.
 
So good as in like Lil Bush good...
 
Actually more like good as in Simpsons seasons 8-13ish good. Not as good as the first several seasons of the Simpsons, but better than the newer seasons. IMO of course.
 
What a shame, I really enjoy watching King of the Hill. It's an acquired taste, to be sure...but the episodes concentrating on Hank and Bobby are hilarious. Plus there has never been a more serious, uptight cartoon than Hank.

It could be worse, they could just hire some new writers to bastardize the show ala the simpsons. At least KOTH hasn't ruined their legacy.
 
Last edited:
Actually, they did cancel Family Guy . . . But due to the overwhelming response that it received on Cartoon Networks Adult Swim, It was brought back to life.
 
Of course that was back when, in my opinion, the episodes were actually funny and had good stories. Heck, some of them even had emotion in them!
 
Well that ruined my day :grumpy:.. and you know who was the creator of King of the Hill? Mike Judge who created.. Beavis and Butthead. :sly: Randy
 
Actually, they did cancel Family Guy . . . But due to the overwhelming response that it received on Cartoon Networks Adult Swim, It was brought back to life.
Pre-cancellation Family Guy is very different from revived Family Guy.
 
Gawd, this is really bad news, though I must say I am a bit more of a fan of Mike Judge's previous work, Beavis and Butthead.

Anyways, I'll still get to see reruns...
 
I hate they are canceling King of the Hill. I started watching it a few years back. At first i thought it was a dumb show then I sat down & actually watched an episode. I was hooked after that.It really sad to see it canceled.
 
I never really like King of the Hill, so I don't really care.

I love family guy though.
 
Question:

We do realize how long King of the Hill has been on TV, right? That'd be 13 seasons, many of which have been consistent (but not high) ratings machines. Sure, its a good show, I like it very much... But it has been dragging as of late. As I recall, wasn't it supposed to expire a year ago? Maybe even before that?

Now that its in full syndication, I think it has run its course. We could nearly say the same thing about The Simpsons as well.
 
Question:
Now that its in full syndication, I think it has run its course. We could nearly say the same thing about The Simpsons as well.

Just nearly? Don't get me wrong, I love the Simpsons, but I don't care much for the current crop of episodes.... (that entails the last 8 years worth at least).

I really did enjoy the King of the Hill albeit I'm still only up to season 5 at this stage so I have a fair few eps to watch still and see how it developed in the later years of its run.
 
Man, that sucks. I loved watching that show, and how it actually represented quite a few truths about Texans. :D
 
Actually more like good as in Simpsons seasons 8-13ish good. Not as good as the first several seasons of the Simpsons, but better than the newer seasons. IMO of course.
How can you possibly think the old seasons are better!? A well explained reason, and I'll forgive you...
 
The older seasons of the Simpsons?
 
How can you possibly think the old seasons are better!? A well explained reason, and I'll forgive you...

How old are you? I'm beginning to wonder if you were ever able to enjoy the "origional" seasons of the Simpsons...

Its gone downhill in the worst way possible since 2000-ish.
 
Agree. I'd say the first 8 seasons were the best, and seasons 9-13 were hit and miss, and everything after just became too...silly. The first several seasons were all fairly consistent in various aspects (Homer working at the Power Plant for one), there were plenty of good characters (especially the ones done by Phil Hartman), many of the reused jokes were actually clever when they used them, there was actual emotion in many of the episodes (they may have thrown in a joke or two, but it didn't take away from the emotion (Bleeding Gums Murphy dieing, and having the other guys show up in the cloud when BGM was saying goodbye to Lisa)), I could go on.
 
Well, got some good news: ABC might pick-up KotH.
In what may be a developing trend for the current reigning middle network, ABC might pick up King of the Hill now that FOX has not used their option to renew it for a 14th season. It seems like a natural fit now that Mike Judge, co-creator of King of the Hill, is working on a new animated show for ABC called The Goode Family. It might make for a Seth MacFarlane-esque double bill, the success of which is enjoyed by a block of American Dad and Family Guy in FOX's Animation Domination set.

ABC also made moves on the third season of The New Adventures of Old Christine at CBS which would have meant that it picked up a canceled show from each of its competing major networks. Is this a risky trend they're setting for themselves or a shrewd way to save on production costs?

It should be noted that this is not a done deal and is only the "word on the street." The Christine deal fell through when CBS renewed the show themselves.
Linky.
Quite an interesting move if it turns out to be true.
 
-> Thank goodness the 'King' is dead! I never like the show anyway. I tend to change the channel whenever it was on, before I go back to watch the Simpsons. I'd say bring back Futurama. :sly:
 
-> Thank goodness the 'King' is dead! I never like the show anyway. I tend to change the channel whenever it was on, before I go back to watch the Simpsons. I'd say bring back Futurama. :sly:

They have, but in the form of 3 movies.
 
"What in the hell?"


... :(
 
-> Thank goodness the 'King' is dead! I never like the show anyway. I tend to change the channel whenever it was on, before I go back to watch the Simpsons. I'd say bring back Futurama. :sly:

that's rough dude it wasn't that bad. Oh well to each his own.
 
King of the Hill is good because the plots are realistic and the characters are engaging. More thought is put into one episode of King than is put into an entire season of Family Guy. Because it's not outlandish and slapsticky enough, it doesn't fit with the rest of Fox's retarded "Animation Domination". You want a real 🤬-fest? American Dad.
 
KoTH was alright though a Texan Family that loved propane tanks, it seemed like a inside joke but I think it was alright. Lil Bush was alright because the political jokes were over done then redone by them and Aqua man.
 
KoTH was alright though a Texan Family that loved propane tanks, it seemed like a inside joke but I think it was alright. Lil Bush was alright because the political jokes were over done then redone by them and Aqua man.
Lil Bush was just silly, yet it remained funnier than The Sarah Sucksman Show.

I loved KotH though. Like I said, sometimes, it represented Texans so well. :D
 
KOTH will be on adult swim, i saw the ad for it last night
 
Back