FPS drop and frame tearing

• Thread starter LGT42
  • 5 comments
United States
United States
Does GT Sport have either of the subject issues that plagued the PS3 era versions of Gran Turismo GT5 and GT6 ?

Asking in reference to the upcoming Gran Turismo 7 on the new PS5 platform. Those issues tend to spoil the visual immersion for me and I would probably not consider getting a PS5 and GT7 if either are present in the upcoming version.

The only time I see frame drops in when I start last and have to thread my way thru the crowd and the PS4 has issues rendering like a dozen cars in frame. eg. turn 1 monza chicane and you're on the inside corner and the ps4 is have a stroke doing all the cars on your left.

Solution: dont be last. 2nd is the best loser.

To be fair the Xbox has the same issue with Forza.

Otherwise the ps4 is MILES ahead of the **** show that was the ps3 running gt5/6 in similar conditons.

I think even if GT7 performs like this on a ps5 at 4k/60 then thats fine. Drop it down to 2k if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've not seen any screen tearing, or frame rate drops. But, I have seen a lot of judder that kinda looks like frame rate drops. It tends to happen on tracks when it's sunny & there are a lot of cars on it. I think they are frame rate drops, but they look different to the ones on PS3, more like judder with timed intervals & less like random frame drops. It's hard to explain...

The only place it gets really objectionable is lots of cars close together on any of the dirt tracks. Rendering the dust is costly in terms of frame rate.

It’s very smooth on PS4 pro set to prioritise frame rate. Never really see it drop a frame. In 4k/super sampling it definitely loses frames when there’s a lot on the screen.

It’s very smooth on PS4 pro set to prioritise frame rate. Never really see it drop a frame. In 4k/super sampling it definitely loses frames when there’s a lot on the screen.

I find that encouraging. I probably wait for detailed analysis by Digital Foundry before considering purchase of a PS5 and Gran Turismo 7. In mean time I'll stick with Gran Turismo 1, 2, 3, 4 on PS2.

Back