FR dirt driving is fantastic

  • Thread starter Thread starter digitalwolf
  • 5 comments
  • 1,107 views
Messages
218
United States
Jacksonville, FL
Messages
digitalwolf333
Anybody been trying the FR rally cars? They drive so much nicer than in Gt5.

When drifting you feel the tyers falling into the turn and everything. They're SO much fun.

I can't wait till they add some rally events, I'm assuming that's not coming till the track maker hits (which was used in gt5).

So far I've tried some of the 70's rally cars, and the hudson. Any others you guys would suggest trying?
 
Hi, glad to find a rally fan. Related discussions are so few as I see here...

I like the race arrangement in GT4 - more events with different skill levels and conditions. Then in GT5, races are largely reduced, and the circuits are not as many and as good as before. Now GT6, even less races, only 3!

Besides not enough races, things I don't like:
  • Too many opponents and too much dust they spit, I can't see anything behind them. Rolling start doesn't help of course. And this is not real - there's no such situation in real world. Close aligned rolling start on dirt circuit? What are they thinking?
  • Lamb AI, easy win. Maybe this is for compensating the long rolling start? I don't think it's a good idea.
  • Like in GT5, steering feel is wrong! It's way too heavy. Kick backs by irregularities of surface are not the same as weight. Please fix this, PD! Low grip lightens up the steering in the real world, so shall be here!
  • Again, same as GT5, the dirt tires look so small and skinny in the replay. Not real and not inspiring at all.
  • The optional rally suspensions are too stiff. Look at those spring rates! So unreasonable. And the fully adjustable kits have not enough range in ride height and spring rate adjustments.
What I found interesting -- probably highly related to the lamb AI -- is one can race and win with 2WD cars without too much difficulty. In addition to the aforementioned Hudson, I've tried RUF BTR, Ford Focus ST, Honda NSX last night. They are all very well-behaved on dirt and give very much fun (with the feedback force set at the minimum).

The Hudson has very limited modification allowed, so it's under-powered facing all those opponents. I can only manage to get a third. It's overall handling balance is very good though. Oh, it's too quiet.

RR BTR with its fat ass needs careful handling, it's easily sideways. I can't win a 1st place with it, either. Maybe more practice...

FF Focus is unexpectedly capable and beating all those 4WD WRC cars! What a welcome surprise. And the NSX is even better. What a pity there're so few MR cars allowed for dirt tires.

With the memories of GT4, some muscle cars are good at rally, too. I will tried more. Ah~ pity there're only 3 races.
 
Last edited:
A friend and I drove our Hudsons at Eiger the other day. I didn't do rally enough in GT5 to really compare, but I'm starting to love it in GT6.
 
awesome, iv tried some FF rally in free run just too see how it would compare to GT5. unfortunately, light FF cars such as the 98' mini are useless on dirt which is really disappointing, you need weight to get any sort of grip... the mini owned in the Monte carlo rally in 1964

the acura SL 3.2 with 200kg at the front seems to drive like its on rails and has heaps of grip yet the mini wont get up even the slightest incline
 
Ah, dirt driving seems not very welcome here, pity.

I've also tried Mustang GT500 and Alfa 8C. Mustang has better rear traction, and its longer wheel base makes it more stable. Very capable and beat group B cars with not much difficulty. Alfa 8C is very tail-happy, needs careful throttle at the exit of corner. (I remember it's tail-happy on tarmac already!) Overall lap time is slower than Mustang by a pretty big gap.

2WD cars suffer from the low traction at the exits of corners, no doubt, especially at those tight and uphill ones. You just can't do anything about it but patiently bring it out and watch those 4WD opponents pulling away. Too much throttle and the tail just steps out and sideway too much, meantime, those 4WD are pulling away even furthur. The only way to beat those rally cars is at the entrance of corner. They almost always run wide, don't know why...

For comparison, I tried some other 4WD cars, too. Traction is much better and it's very easy accelerating out of a corner. Nissan GTR is great, winning each race hands down. Audi RS6 Avant is also very capable. As to race cars, Lancia Delta S4 is indeed very fast. And I also tried SX4 Monster Pikes Peak, also very very fast and stable, but the engine output is too peaky and not suitable for these 3 circuits, which are full of 1-2 utterly slow turns.

I wonder why so many slow corner in these rally circuits? Low traction makes them even more painful. I think some other types of circuits would be much better, say, Deep Forest should be a very good rally stage. Why not give it some gravel or snow, PD?
 
I love the repeated mention of the Group B's, and as unfond of Nissan as I am, I'm absolutely batty over the BS110 Silvia Rally Car. Going fast on gravel with a rear-drive car? HELL YES!!! (You should see my GT350R)

Just a post of mine from the GT5 forums. The GT350R is still a monster in 6 and the BS110 is much easier to obtain.
 
Back