FRAG's BASE TUNE [DFGT] (Should work on most FR cars)

• Thread starter GODfreyGT5
  • 25 comments
FRAG-ME-CG
I am not here to teach you how to drift, but for those who either learnt in GT5 or have strong experience in other sims, this is a guide to help you get your 'feel' for drifting back that for many has been lost in the transition between games.
Through the last part of my GT5 drifting, I found a base set-up that I could throw on to any car that instantly made drifting smooth and awesome. From this set-up I could then tweak a couple of settings if needed, but for 70% of my GT5 drift cars I could just leave everything as set with the base tune.

GT6 drifting has been really getting on my nerves since release, and it became clear that tuning would become a vital part in making GT6 usable as a drifting platform. I experimented with lots of tuning ideas with little to no result, but I have finally managed to snag onto a killer method of tuning that means I can throw a tune onto any of the cars I have tried and start drifting with it comfortably, to a level almost similar of GT5!

Below is the base tune I recommend you throw onto an s-chassis, FC or mid-weight FR car of the sort and see how you get on. With a very minor varient this tune also works awesome on an AE86 and the heavier 300zx.

Suspension:
For my spring rate, I Always have rear 2 steps below front, and adjust for car weight. For my AE86 (lighter car) I use [6-4] and for the 300zx (heavier) I use [10-8].

FRONT REAR
Height: LOWEST LOWEST
Spring Rate: 8 6
Dampers: 4 4
Dampers: 4 4
Anti-Roll: 3 3
Camber: 2.5 1.0
Toe: -0.08 +0.08

DIFF:
From what I have found, the choice of diff setting may depend largely on the car's specific characteristics or your own drifting style. Start with my shown settings, and experiment with the acceleration setting to adjust the on-throttle responsiveness and angle gain, and the braking setting to adjust the off-throttle feeling of the car. The braking setting can largely alter how easily extend a drift to a corner, and is worth playing about with yourself!

My RIG:

As Kaz has now decided that an ABS off 0-10 brake setting locks up the FRONT wheels as opposed to the rear -_-... I had to get drastic and find another way to have more control over the car while slowing into corners.

I recently put together a solid handbrake lever for my DFGT, using the old bonnet catch from my car as the spring/lever mechanism. I have found this massively helpful for entering slow corners, being able to force the in-game clutch in and buld up revs while holding high angle. If you have the patience I highly recommend you to have a go at making one for yourself. It's also AWESOME fun to use!

IMG_1120.JPG

Thanks for reading, happy drifting!

Last edited:
Loving the hand brake mate Im building a rig that I can incorporate a h brake into as well as im finding that gt6 isn't allowing max angle before the front wheels give way to under steer I feel that a quick yank of an hand brake will allow for bigger angle on longer drifts will give your tune a go and see if it works for me.

I'll have to try this on my PS13, because so far I hate it lol. Are you running any ballast, or is that stock?

I run this exact set-up on my ps13, fully stripped and maxed out with a mid range turbo, it's my favourite car at the moment! You could get away with less power but that's what mine is currently running.

Gave it a go this morning, and it's a step in the right direction. I had to stiffen things up a bit for the DS3

Springs: 9.5 / 7.5
Damp Ex: 5 / 5
Damp Co: 5 / 5
ARB: 5 / 4

And I went back to stage 2 weight reduction. Need more time in this car, but I'm starting to get a feel for it.

The one area I was struggling with was it felt like it wanted to over rotate while transitioning. I probably just need better throttle work lol, but any suggestions on fixing this?

The one area I was struggling with was it felt like it wanted to over rotate while transitioning. I probably just need better throttle work lol, but any suggestions on fixing this?

Try lower the diff's braking sensitivity, should be a bit more forgiving.

That was going to be my first move :), along with maybe a little more rear toe.

Question...did you slam your hight just because (I know you like low), or is there a method to the madness?

That was going to be my first move :), along with maybe a little more rear toe.

Question...did you slam your hight just because (I know you like low), or is there a method to the madness?

If I can be as low as possible and have a tune that works then it's a win-win situation :D

Instead of starting high, getting a tune to work and then bring lows in, I began with lows and worked from there.

If I can be as low as possible and have a tune that works then it's a win-win situation :D

Instead of starting high, getting a tune to work and then bring lows in, I began with lows and worked from there.

But....that's backwards, don't you know!?!?!? You so wrong CG :P

Got some more time in this car, and I'm really starting to like it. I'm finding that it's really teaching me to control the throttle and manage the weight. Driving other cars after driving this one feels like easy mode lol.

I settled on 10/20/40 for the diff for now. And I'm finding the ride hight is not that big of a deal on smooth tracks, but at places like deep forest I have to raise it up otherwise I get snap back going over the big bumps.

Sorry on two counts in advance, A) for going off topic and B) for being somewhat of a drift rig noob if you can't use the shift buttons when drifting.

To save the effort of rigging up an external handbrake why not remap the shift stick to be handbrake (pull) and reverse (push), this is what I used to do when I had a DFGT back in the early days of GT5. (again, apologies if this isn't possible if you can't use the shift buttons on the back of the wheel, just stumbled across the thread and thought it may be of some help.)

Sorry on two counts in advance, A) for going off topic and B) for being somewhat of a drift rig noob if you can't use the shift buttons when drifting.

To save the effort of rigging up an external handbrake why not remap the shift stick to be handbrake (pull) and reverse (push), this is what I used to do when I had a DFGT back in the early days of GT5. (again, apologies if this isn't possible if you can't use the shift buttons on the back of the wheel, just stumbled across the thread and thought it may be of some help.)

I know someone who used this for GT5 so it should be doable in GT6, it just means that your gearing might be slowed by having to find your 'paddles' to gear shift, and controlling the wheel one-handed could become a task and a half. If it works for you then go for it!

I know someone who used this for GT5 so it should be doable in GT6, it just means that your gearing might be slowed by having to find your 'paddles' to gear shift, and controlling the wheel one-handed could become a task and a half. If it works for you then go for it!
I no longer have the DFGt, just thought it might help someone without the practical skills to rig up an external handbrake.
All the best,
Jim.

Im using this setup right now. Because of the fact that the braking has changed a lot compared to GT5, I needed an ebrake :) So... Yes it works. (I only have to downshift on the wheel btw, I left the upshift untouched)

Go a question about weight distribution. Got a Toy GT86, and with all boosts it's 53/47. So I put some weight one the rear to get 50/50, and that's really better now.

But what's the rule about this weight distribution setting ?

Go a question about weight distribution. Got a Toy GT86, and with all boosts it's 53/47. So I put some weight one the rear to get 50/50, and that's really better now.

But what's the rule about this weight distribution setting ?

I don't think there is a "rule" for using ballast...some cars benefit from it, others don't.

One thing I have started to notice though is that GT6 seems to need less ballast than GT5. I'm also tending to run my front weigh 1 or 2 percent heavier than in GT5 (ie cars I used to run at 50/50 I'm now running 51/49 or 52/48).

I haven't tried any of the GT86 chassis in GT6 yet, but I would guess that making it 50/50 might make it have too much rear grip? It's not very powerful, and has quite a bit of grip already. If you feel you need more rear grip, I'm sure you could find some with suspension tuning instead of adding weight.

Yes, this is why i'm tryin to, but i'm a little noob in drift settings.
Btw, i'm noob in drift too ^^

I'll post my setting tomorrow so you can give me some advices.

Last edited:
There are my settings, I'm playing with a DS3:

GT86 full tuned (limited at 400bhp), max weight reduction.

H 70 70 (lowest)
Sping Rate 8.50 6.50
Damp 4 4
Damp 4 4
ARB 3 3
Camber 3.5 00
Toe -0.08 +0.010

Diff 5 /30 /60

So, I guess I could add more ARB and rear damps to 5 for a better grip ?

Last edited:
As Kaz has now decided that an ABS off 0-10 brake setting locks up the FRONT wheels as opposed to the rear -_-... I had to get drastic and find another way to have more control over the car while slowing into corners.
This actually pisses me off lol. I also used 0-10 without an E brake. Now it forced me to get one.

So, I guess I could add more ARB and rear damps to 5 for a better grip ?

I have no real idea on how to alter tunes for speed in GT6. I would suggest a little rear camber and some more toe on the rear to encourage grip at the back, what you said should work too.

I have no real idea on how to alter tunes for speed in GT6. I would suggest a little rear camber and some more toe on the rear to encourage grip at the back, what you said should work too.

Wouldn't stiffening the rear make him loose more traction ?. The settings his using should be fine the only thing I do slightly different to encourage rear grip is slight squat, my front is always about 10-15mm higher than the rear. Besides that the only thing that will give you better rear grip is tire grade, Once those CH's are cooked bro they are cooked you can only go so fast on them.

Back