Freezing on SSD PS4PRO

• Thread starter gkgamer
  • 9 comments
Japan
R246
gkgamer
Hi everyone, I'm experiencing both off and online some freezing during races.
It can freeze my screen from a couple of seconds up to more than 30.

When it happens offline it seems that al cars are frozen during the same interval.
Online though, I just lose the time and magically reappear on track when the console decides It's been enough.
I'd say it has a tendency to happen just before someone crashes or spins close to me or I'm having a sudden change of attitude requiring unusually strong inputs to try and save or correct it.

It happens on my SSDed first series PS4PRO and looks like it's happening more often since 1.13.

Has anyone had the same issue?

Happening to me as well, I'm also having a PS4 PRO. I tried to move GT7 to a SSD in USB 3.0 SATA enclosure box and noticed that freezing is still occuring but much less and much short (so perhaps you could consider do this too), and every time when it freezes I also see the access light on enclosure box is blinking, so it's indeed GT7 trying to read something but can't keep up ...

Also I'm thinking about that PS4 has a continuous recording feature for sharing gameplay footage that can't be disabled (minimum 30 seconds, configurable at system software Settings -> Sharing and Broadcasts -> Length of Video Clip), so if the internal drive is changed to SSD, it will wear it down, and also interfere with game loading if you put game in the internal drive. I'm considering switching internal drive back to original hard drive, and use that SSD on PS4 with an USB 3.0 enclosure box ...

Happening to me as well, I'm also having a PS4 PRO. I tried to move GT7 to a SSD in USB 3.0 SATA enclosure box and noticed that freezing is still occuring but much less and much short (so perhaps you could consider do this too), and every time when it freezes I also see the access light on enclosure box is blinking, so it's indeed GT7 trying to read something but can't keep up ...

Also I'm thinking about that PS4 has a continuous recording feature for sharing gameplay footage that can't be disabled (minimum 30 seconds, configurable at system software Settings -> Sharing and Broadcasts -> Length of Video Clip), so if the internal drive is changed to SSD, it will wear it down, and also interfere with game loading if you put game in the internal drive. I'm considering switching internal drive back to original hard drive, and use that SSD on PS4 with an USB 3.0 enclosure box ...
Honestly the constant recording thing shouldn't be an issue when I've been running ShadowPlay recordings on the same SSD for nearly 9 years, that's writing a lot more to the drive too because the bitrate is much higher. Most modern SSDs will wear level and optimise themselves so unless you've heavily degraded the flash itself it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm on a PS4 Pro with a Crucial MX500 and the recording feature set to 10 mins and I've not had the same issues either of you describe, but it's a pretty new drive with only GT7 and GT Sport installed on it. The game can frame drop or stutter occasionally but that seems down to optimisation issues on certain tracks rather than anything else.

Maybe it's worth backing up the drive and then giving it a test in a computer to get an idea if there are any issues with the read/write speeds etc.

I'm using a PS4 Pro with an SSD too and I'm not getting freezing. But in the last two days I do get a slight stutter from time to time. I was playing GT7 on a PS4 slim with the same SSD and there was a whole lot more stuttering and slowdowns though.

I swapped out the old spinners from me & my 2 friends PS4 Pro's with Samsung 870 EVO 1TB SSD's a good few weeks ago & we have not experienced this so far. I did replace all the thermal pads & thermal paste in all 3 machines, & a good clean. Might be a consideration.

This sounds like either a issue with the game or a hardware issue with the PS4 itself and not the SSD you put in. Ignore what the other said about the SSD wearing out unless your constantly writing to it every second of the day for years and years it will not wear down that fast

when it happens, how hot is your console?
also, not all SSD's are created equal. if you bought a "budget friendly" SSD, it might not have the read/wright speed needed.
I'm on a regular PS4 with a SSD and have had no freezing at all. plenty of frame rate drops, but no freezing.

Thank you all for your answers,

I've had this continous recording set to 70 minutes since my BF1 days, I forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder, I've reverted back to the default 30'.
I haven't had issues yesterday so it may have been related. The issue doesn't happen to me all the time and tends to happen at Daytona, Laguna Seca and Tokyo more. I'll get back to you when I've put more game time with the reverted settings.
Honestly the constant recording thing shouldn't be an issue when I've been running ShadowPlay recordings on the same SSD for nearly 9 years, that's writing a lot more to the drive too because the bitrate is much higher. Most modern SSDs will wear level and optimise themselves so unless you've heavily degraded the flash itself it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm on a PS4 Pro with a Crucial MX500 and the recording feature set to 10 mins and I've not had the same issues either of you describe, but it's a pretty new drive with only GT7 and GT Sport installed on it. The game can frame drop or stutter occasionally but that seems down to optimisation issues on certain tracks rather than anything else.

Maybe it's worth backing up the drive and then giving it a test in a computer to get an idea if there are any issues with the read/write speeds etc.
I've recently changed the SSD to a Samsung 860 QVOpro because I saw it being recommended in the first link I opened. Maybe I should have researched more. I benchmarked it before installing it in the PS4PRO and it seemed to run as intended. I'll try and recheck it soon. Thank you.
I'm using a PS4 Pro with an SSD too and I'm not getting freezing. But in the last two days I do get a slight stutter from time to time. I was playing GT7 on a PS4 slim with the same SSD and there was a whole lot more stuttering and slowdowns though.
I only have this issue on my launch era SSDed PS4PRO, the 2 more recent PS4PROs my kids use run GT7 nice & smooth, with the occasional frame drop here and there. One is SSDed and the other runs the factory HDD. I feel like there's more stutter on the SSDed one but that's a very thin margin.
I swapped out the old spinners from me & my 2 friends PS4 Pro's with Samsung 870 EVO 1TB SSD's a good few weeks ago & we have not experienced this so far. I did replace all the thermal pads & thermal paste in all 3 machines, & a good clean. Might be a consideration.
I did not replace the thermal pads but changed the thermal paste using some Artic Silver I had left. Maybe It's too old but it seemed ok, consistency and color were the same. But the freezing only occurs on my launch era PS4PRO not on the more recent one.
This sounds like either a issue with the game or a hardware issue with the PS4 itself and not the SSD you put in. Ignore what the other said about the SSD wearing out unless your constantly writing to it every second of the day for years and years it will not wear down that fast
It may be indeed the PS4PRO itself. I could never run NBA2K series on this very console, and minecraft would crash the system forcing a hard reboot sometimes, that's why I gave the more recent one to my kids and got back the older one. It is also not able to run the youtube app anymore since the last update, but can still open the site in the browser...
when it happens, how hot is your console?
also, not all SSD's are created equal. if you bought a "budget friendly" SSD, it might not have the read/wright speed needed.
I'm on a regular PS4 with a SSD and have had no freezing at all. plenty of frame rate drops, but no freezing.
I did a full fan and motherboard maintenance when I installed the SSD and it sounded much better afterwards.
I removed an inch of brown dist cake from the front side of the radiator, my console was sounding like Saturn V when running netflix lol, It feels much better now lol.

@gkgamer Hi mate, my PS4 Pro is a launch edition & only started to get loud in the fan department recently. My friends Pro was a later model, about a year newer & always sounded like Glasgow airport & had started to shut down with a overheating warning.

When I took his apart one of the black thermal pads was stuck to the side of the metal covering nowhere near where it should be. Replaced all the pads with 1mm Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8 & made sure they covered all the chips as the tiny black ones installed from the factory don't. 14 in total. His Pro hasn't sounded like it's about to take off from the runway since.
Used Noctua thermal paste, the Artic Silver sounds fine but you never know.

Hope you get this annoyance sorted out.

I've recently changed the SSD to a Samsung 860 QVOpro because I saw it being recommended in the first link I opened. Maybe I should have researched more. I benchmarked it before installing it in the PS4PRO and it seemed to run as intended. I'll try and recheck it soon. Thank you.
That might be the cause of the issues as QLC drives aren't the greatest for performance, especially with a large amount of writes constantly. Normal benchmarks generally wont show it either.

Back