Front wheel spin? I thought F1 cars were rear drive ONLY?

United States
Daytona Beach
sloppysmusic
Only noticeable with all assists off....especially traction control...

When going slowly with all assists OFF, it's very noticeable that giving heavy throttle the front wheels spin as fast as the rears. Am I being an idiot here or are they SUPPOSED to?
It's got me worrying if this is just a graphics thing and not a handling thing. GFX only would just be considerably immersion destroying, the front wheels ACTUALLY spinning in the sim engine
would surely give a huge misrepresentation of the whole handling physics?

Again sorry If I'm an idiot I couldn't see a link on line saying modern F1 cars had any power going to the front wheels to cause this. The DIFF should have no effect as would only cause some wheels spin
on fast/tight corners and you'd hardly see that anyway. (but they are SUPPOSED to then!)

I'm talking from a standing stop adding strong gas in dry or wet the fronts spin as fast as the rears....

Only noticed this as got a DSQ from blocking the pit lane while I stared in disbelief at my wildly spinning fronts stopping me steering under power in wet conditions.

IF they are NOT supposed to do this, the only explanation I could think of is that the devs made these AWD deliberately to make it easier for the great unwashed (like me) to handle these beasts? please tell me I'm being an idiot!!

Last edited:
Just tried this and not sure what you are seeing. Tried it at a wet Australia and even tried it on the wet grass and did not see the front tyres spinning up like the rears.

Only noticeable with all assists off....especially traction control...

When going slowly with all assists OFF, it's very noticeable that giving heavy throttle the front wheels spin as fast as the rears. Am I being an idiot here or are they SUPPOSED to?
It's got me worrying if this is just a graphics thing and not a handling thing. GFX only would just be considerably immersion destroying, the front wheels ACTUALLY spinning in the sim engine
would surely give a huge misrepresentation of the whole handling physics?

Again sorry If I'm an idiot I couldn't see a link on line saying modern F1 cars had any power going to the front wheels to cause this. The DIFF should have no effect as would only cause some wheels spin
on fast/tight corners and you'd hardly see that anyway. (but they are SUPPOSED to then!)

I'm talking from a standing stop adding strong gas in dry or wet the fronts spin as fast as the rears....

Only noticed this as got a DSQ from blocking the pit lane while I stared in disbelief at my wildly spinning fronts stopping me steering under power in wet conditions.

IF they are NOT supposed to do this, the only explanation I could think of is that the devs made these AWD deliberately to make it easier for the great unwashed (like me) to handle these beasts? please tell me I'm being an idiot!!

Yes that last line you said for sure

Just tried this and not sure what you are seeing. Tried it at a wet Australia and even tried it on the wet grass and did not see the front tyres spinning up like the rears.

Really? With all assists OFF? TC being the main one of course.
Every single assist off even the pit ones.
You not getting ANY front wheel spin? There should of course be no movement whatsoever of front wheels that is not caused by moving friction with the ground if I am right.

Guess will have to post a video next time.

I am using the PS4 version which is important as well. I have th PC version may test that later see if it does the same.

Did another test. I think it is because at 10 mph full gas the wheels appear to spin at the same speed they do at 30 mph normally. Like they are animated to spin at the correct rotation speed for the speed the car WOULD be doing if the rear wheels had full traction.
The rubber on the tires appears to be moving around faster than the ground around you during the initial spin phase.
Hence why it didn't 'look' right to me.
I no longer believe they have any power going to them they dont appear to affect ground motion at all so its just animation.

Last edited:
Really? With all assists OFF? TC being the main one of course.
Every single assist off even the pit ones.
You not getting ANY front wheel spin? There should of course be no movement whatsoever of front wheels that is not caused by moving friction with the ground if I am right.

Guess will have to post a video next time.

I am using the PS4 version which is important as well. I have th PC version may test that later see if it does the same.

Did another test. I think it is because at 10 mph full gas the wheels appear to spin at the same speed they do at 30 mph normally. Like they are animated to spin at the correct rotation speed for the speed the car WOULD be doing if the rear wheels had full traction.
The rubber on the tires appears to be moving around faster than the ground around you during the initial spin phase.
Hence why it didn't 'look' right to me.
I no longer believe they have any power going to them they dont appear to affect ground motion at all so its just animation.
Sounds like the wheel animation just doesn't match reality. Did you try it on wet grass? Car doesn't move very fast at all in that instance and you can see the front tyres moving very slowly.

Back