United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine

Make: Honda
Model: Accord
Trim: Type-R
Engine: H22A7, 2,156cc, straight 4 cylinder DOHC, VTEC
Power: 212hp @ 7,200rpm; 163lbft @ 6,700rpm
Drivetrain: Front-wheel drive, 5-speed manual gearbox with Limited Slip Differential
Specification: Vesuvio Red; full Recaro interior (black/green) with front inflatable lumbar support and Momo steering wheel; Aftermarket Sony Xplod headunit (CD, USB) with removable face; Standard alarm/immobiliser with remote central locking; no air conditioning
Mileage: 76,000

headon_medium.jpg

We've had this car - named Blue for reasons which will never be that clear - since last October, picking it up from its previous, second private owner. In that time he's been to a UKGTP (and startled a VEXD), come within inches of meeting Kazunori Yamauchi in Cologne and got himself through to the final of the GT5 Madrid Photomode competition. He's not made it to a track in our custody, but you'd have to expect that he probably has at some point in the past.

rearleft_medium.jpg

When asked to do long runs, Blue consistently returns 30mpg (25mpg US, 9.4l/100km) running the required minimum 98RON super unleaded, but has been known to exceed this on higher octane fuel (Shell V-Power 100). Blue will cover 0-60mph in under 7 seconds (booked at 6.7) and press on to 141mph relatively shortly afterwards, while seating four people and their luggage in Recaro snugness.

frontleft_medium.jpg

Blue did come to us with a couple of faults which have been rectified - largely niggling and inexpensive, but irritating. The levelling unit for the Xenon headlights - which turn night into day - was not working correctly and the problem would cost a prospective future owner about £400, though we fixed it. There were minor handling issues due to worn suspension components which have also been fixed and the mild, persisting understeer on the edge that was present beforehand has been eradicated - Blue drives like new, as well he ought on well-treaded Goodyear Eagl GSD3s. The original exhaust system - always a pain - had corroded and this has been replaced by a stainless steel catback, which as well as being hardy is also quite fruity-sounding. Blue has also had three recent flushes-through with a sumps worth of fully synthetic oil.

frontright_medium.jpg

Mechanically, I'd doubt Blue will need anything significant doing for quite some time - the cambelt and 5th gear synchro were both replaced shortly before we got hold of him. The clutch release is occasionally noisy, but this is apparently a "characteristic" of these cars. A minor service is due shortly and the MoT and tax both run until spring next year (May and April respectively). Annual VED is the pre-2001 higher band (for engines over 1.6 litre equivalent), which is currently £205 a year. Insurance costs us roughly the same as either of our other insured cars - ATRs are not as expensive to insure as other Type-Rs, due to their scarcity, body style and commonality of parts - at £330 a year. Physically the only obvious blemishes are a repaired tear in the driver's side door card and some pitting on the bonnet which is only noticeable in close-up.

£3,750 or best close offer

Click on first and last images for wallpaper-sized. I'm not kidding either.

Last edited:
Approximately $6,000 by current exchange rates. Plus shipping and import duty - and the fact that chassis has never been sold in the US probably making it illegal to drive on the public roads.

It's my wife's car and final say is hers. You'll need to contact her - she's called Milford Cubicle on here.

I'll re-add that the CH1 chassis under the Accord Type-R has never been sold in the US and has never been approved for sale in the US. This may (will) make it fundamentally illegal to drive it anywhere on the road in the US. If you're not intending to ever drive it on the road, then it won't be a problem, but $6k + shipping and taxes probably totalling the same again for a FWD track car seems... a lack of value. Unless you're a car museum/collector.

No, I wanted to buy this car just for a daily driver. Thanks for the heads up, though. If it were legal here, I would definitely love to buy this car. Good luck with your sale!

I showed not Mrs T the car last night and she really liked it. Then she asked me if it was possible to remove the wing. :rolleyes:

Anything's possible. But I wouldn't want to travel over 130mph without it...

That aside, it's brilliant. You know those a-holes who sit at the exact distance to put their misaligned headlights right in your rear-view mirror and blind you? Not any more :D And you'll never lose it in a car park - just look for the pantograph...

Anything's possible. But I wouldn't want to travel over 130mph without it...

That aside, it's brilliant. You know those a-holes who sit at the exact distance to put their misaligned headlights right in your rear-view mirror and blind you? Not any more :D And you'll never lose it in a car park - just look for the pantograph...

I did mention that it is there for a reason. I also tried explaining that the wing isn't some after market add-on. I'm in line for a new company car and as usual there thinking about leasing. I'd rather save them some money and just purchase something. After all, what they pay in a year for leasing one car could buy this outright. I know what I would rather have.

Do you have any interior shots that I can show not Mrs T?
Also do you have a train station near you, because if there is any chance of purchasing this I will probably have to get the train up and then drive it back.

Even though it's not a US car, you could have it registered for use here. Assuming it passes inspection, which I don't know why it wouldn't. You could have it inspected here in Texas. We'll pass just about anything! It's quite sad actually.:lol:

I'm not greatly sure on the rules regarding US-approved cars. However, the European Accord is based on a chassis which was designed and developed in Europe and hasn't been sold anywhere else - not even Japan. I'd hate for someone to spend $6k on the car and the same again in shipping/tax only to find he couldn't drive it anywhere because of red tape.

This actually makes the Type-R Accord a very unusual car. It's a wholly British, Japanese car that not even Japan got... :lol: And ours is an unmolested example - it really is just about the same as when it left the factory.

I did mention that it is there for a reason. I also tried explaining that the wing isn't some after market add-on. I'm in line for a new company car and as usual there thinking about leasing. I'd rather save them some money and just purchase something. After all, what they pay in a year for leasing one car could buy this outright. I know what I would rather have.

Do you have any interior shots that I can show not Mrs T?
Also do you have a train station near you, because if there is any chance of purchasing this I will probably have to get the train up and then drive it back.

I will dig some out - and yes, there's two train stations within easy walking distance. I know, I've walked to them and I don't do walking unless it's easy :D

And we don't mind picking you up from a slightly less local train station. Both York and Darlington are on the East Coast mainline and within driving distance for us :)

I just noted a small error to the ad. Blue is not sitting on Toyo Proxes, they are Goodyear Eagle GSD-3s.

What could possibly replace such a cool car without being relative Granny-status?

I'm getting an exceptionally boring lease car in a couple of months.

Do you ship overseas? :dopey:

Kind of sad to see it go, but hopefully it goes to another GTP member.

Luck with the sale.

I'm not greatly sure on the rules regarding US-approved cars.

This may help you out if you have an interested buyer from the U.S.

Nice car by the way. 👍

Last edited:
Since the car was never intended for US market sale there really is no way to find out - and the chassis itself was never intended for US market sale, as the US had its own Accord at the time.

Anyway, I've dug out an interior shot. It's not terrific - dash/binnacle/wheel - but I'll try to grab some more when my wife isn't at work during the daytime tomorrow morning.

insideshotmedium.jpg

The headunit fascia has been removed in that shot, but it matches the theme. We've even got the LEDs on it in red :lol:

Here's the 2 interior shots hfs took

DSC_4765.jpg

DSC_4766.jpg

Although I don't think that the playseat is standard...

Nor is the Dr. Pepper :lol:

You'll spot the cigarette lighter wotsit is missing - that's just because the SatNav (GPS to everyone in North America) was plugged in. It's still present. Promise.

No offense, but is it normal for all cars with kmph gauges to top out at 180? I mean even USA cars go up to 240kmph on the gauge. Also, have you ever hit 180 in that car? I mean I'm sure its pretty easy, bc it's only 110mph.

No offense, but is it normal for all cars with kmph gauges to top out at 180? I mean even USA cars go up to 240kmph on the gauge. Also, have you ever hit 180 in that car? I mean I'm sure its pretty easy, bc it's only 110mph.

Don't know. We use mph in the UK.

As for the latter question:

Blue will cover 0-60mph in under 7 seconds (booked at 6.7) and press on to 141mph relatively shortly afterwards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back