Full Damage

Discussion in 'Project CARS 1' started by MowTin, May 24, 2015.

1. MowTin

MowTin

When I did my first lap in this game I blew out my engine by shifting too late. Then a small collision damaged my suspension. I thought, "Cool, so much better than GT and Forza."

Now I've had to go back and check to see if I had damage on. I've had a lot of serious crashes with absolutely no damage at all.

We have a choice of visual only, performance and full damage. Why can't we have a slider for damage sensitivity? If you set the sensitivity to high then even a small collision will damage your car. If you set it to low then it would behave like it does now where even serious crashes leave your car undamaged most of the time.

My guess is the damage is set low so that people don't become frustrated when the AI rams them.

VBR, A1-242 and TheClarky like this.
  2. bleeder

bleeder

it also depends on the car; some take more of a beating than others. if your engineer ever tells you he can see aero damage then more often than not your car will eventually have a mechanical failure of some sort. you can also mess the steering up which, if you have a wheel, can make you drive with the wheel wonky, which in turn can lead to suspension damage.

i think it's also a physics thing, for example the open wheelers don't fall to pieces like they do IRL as that's too much to animate/program correct physics for, so i suppose in this regard you can take a few knocks with little effect.

Mr_Hansen and TheClarky like this.
  3. frivoloushobby

frivoloushobby

I put the 98t lightly into the tire wall and lost a wheel, as I felt I should have. In the touring cars I've lost it, smashed into the wall hard and only aero damage when it should have ended my day. So the damage isn't ideal, more of a step in the right direction for us on consoles. (I can't speak for the damage model in other Sims on pc)

Mr_Hansen and VBR like this.
  4. CHEN255

CHEN255

I'm very happy with the damage modelling in PCars. It's certainly no worse than the PC sims that I have seen on YouTube, and better than many.

phil_75 likes this.
  5. GTP Red Pill

GTP Red Pill Premium

I heard that during development, SMS turned the damage sensitivity down. If that's true then they are capable of turning it back up again, as near to realistic levels would be great.

This is what I was expecting, & this is what I want!

[​IMG]

:tup:

6. FuriousDemon

FuriousDemon

Turned it down cause of OEM's requirements AFAIK.

VBR likes this.
  7. bleeder

bleeder

Our Esteemed Master?

GTAndy36 and mister dog like this.
  8. RacerPaul

RacerPaul

Original Equipment Manufacturer is my guess :D

VBR likes this.
  9. FuriousDemon

FuriousDemon

Yep, is that a US abbreviation only?

10. GTP Red Pill

GTP Red Pill Premium

Do you know which manufacturer or manufacturers requested this?

11. RacerPaul

RacerPaul

Can't be if I knew it :D

12. FuriousDemon

FuriousDemon

BMW, Merc, McLaren, those I know of for sure. I bet all major ones have similar guidelines.

13. MowTin

MowTin

Even on Indy cars? I doubt it.

I think they turned down the damage sensitivity because racing against the aggressive AI with realistic damage was considered too frustrating.

14. GTP Red Pill

GTP Red Pill Premium

Strange how damage in games like GRID was massive, despite some of those manufacturers cars being in the game.

15. bleeder

bleeder

perhaps a nice little Codies backhander helped their concerns go away...

VBR likes this.
  16. BrandonW77

BrandonW77

If you scroll towards the end of THIS article you'll see a couple comments from a manufacturer about why they have concerns about how their cars are represented in video games. I remember reading a similar article several years ago (can't find it now, had too many beers since then) and basically they want people to see their cars looking beautiful, not banged up and wrecked. And they don't want random damage that could show something that wouldn't really happen and have people think that's how the real car would react. This is why, more often than not, we generally only see scuffing, scratching, and minor dents in racing sims. I'm not sure how GRID got away with it, perhaps their damage model was realistic enough to minimize the manufacturer's concerns.

And here's a bit more discussion, a bit old but I'm sure it's still the same situation.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    VBR likes this.
  17. Kenocar

Kenocar

Open wheel cars are made of glass and LMPs are bricks from my experience. I accidentally tapped a wall in Monaco- as in tapped, not even for half a second- in a formula A car and I lose a tire and destroyed my front wing; crash into a wall in Bathurst with an LMP car going 300 kmh and it just shrugs it off with broken glass and minor suspension damage.

18. GTP Red Pill

GTP Red Pill Premium

Still doesn't explain why the damage has been turned down on fantasy cars made by SMS & WMD. Unless "maintaining cohesion" is used as an excuse!

;)

19. BrandonW77

BrandonW77

According to people on the pCARS forum the fantasy (non-licensed) cars do tend to show more damage than the licensed cars. I know the Formula cars can lose a wheel pretty easily (don't ask how I know :nervous: ).

20. Kenocar

Kenocar

You don't need to hide it, we're all secretly Maldonado. In fact I had a last lap, last corner blunder at Hockenheim at Formula B. I was leading by 9 seconds, but my inner Maldonado stepped on the gas too early and I danced and did pirouettes into a wall loosing my front left damaging my bodywork. I had to reverse for a podium.

21. BrandonW77

BrandonW77

url.jpg

AnfLaw and PIP_36 like this.