Fun, straight out of the box..

  • Thread starter Thread starter TimBrad
  • 15 comments
  • 991 views
Messages
696
So, guys, i've been doing it today & the last couple days, just random cars, buying them straight form dealers, turning all assists off, and hitting random tracks (usually the ring, or a smaller twisty track) to have some fun, just coasting an unmodded car, and was just wondering what tracks.stock setups you guys have found really enjoyable, currently i am loving:

TVR Cerbera Speed 6 - Infeon Sports Car Course

Mazda MX-5 Miata '93 (j) - Monaco

Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Leguna Seca
 
Any Japanese car at Infineon, or Laguna Seca, but thats kinda biased cause i live in California.
 
I'm usually driving cars that I've driven irl, or cars I've never used in the game before.
 
crimson_menace
I'm usually driving cars that I've driven irl, or cars I've never used in the game before.
Thats all the cars if you think about it.
 
Spoon Civic Type R around Grand Valley, family cup with the difficulty turned up a bit gives a good challenge.
A close second would be the RUF CTR Yellow Bird around the Nurb', but thats been mentioned many times.
 
Master_Yoda
Mabe you need ton concentrate a little harder.

Hehe, well it wouldn't include cars that he HAD driven in the game before, but not driven in real life. By January of 2006, assuming that crimson menace's first name isn't "Sheikh", I'd say that's probably a fair whack of cars too :)
 
The S2000's are really nice in stock form, as long as you take off the driving aids. Even with lower grip tires, they have a very controllable tendenct to oversteer that makes them a joy to drive.
 
The best car right out of the box was BMW M3 CSL at the Ring for me.
 
endlessflood
Hehe, well it wouldn't include cars that he HAD driven in the game before, but not driven in real life. By January of 2006, assuming that crimson menace's first name isn't "Sheikh", I'd say that's probably a fair whack of cars too :)
lol i guess i did need to think a little hard, but you know us jedis are never wrong ;)
 
Example 1 is the Protomotors Spirra on N2 tyres (so not quite straight out of the box) at New York. Can't remember why I took the car there. Perhaps it's a race in the beginner MR series or something. Anyway, the car settled into a natural drift the whole way around the 270 degree corner on that circuit, and I've been a fan ever since.

Example 2 is the FGT at High Speed Ring. It feels insanely quick and dives into corners at what feels like impossible speeds.

There are opposites, too. The Turbo Esprit HC, also on N2s, felt utterly horrible at Midfield, for instance. I spent half my first lap there in that car looking in the rear view mirror to see where I was going. Yet it was fantastic at Tsukuba.
 
Let's see...
  1. The Lancia Stratos or Lotus Turbo HC @ Le Sarthe II: I dare you to get them up to around their top speed going down that straight, and I dare you to not brake early at the end of it.
  2. The RUF BTR @ High Speed Ring: If you master lift-throttle oversteer this thing is a god at this track. Untouchable.
  3. Isuzu 117 @ Hong Kong, Infineon Stock Car Course or New York: This car is so infinitely tossable that's it's a joy to drive in every corner. Get to a turn, lift off the throttle, slide it through the turn, get to the next turn, etc. etc. Far more fun than the much lighter Bellet GTR, probably because of it's length.
  4. DMC De Lorean @ SSR5: Drives like a slow RUF. Very good for this track because it has just enough poke to get it down the main straight and enough balance (or lack thereof) to get it through ever single turn sliding, including the two big loops. And finally...
  5. Peugoet 205 Turbo 16 @ any track. Not nescesarily very fast, due to it's rather porky weight, low power and it's inscessant joy to drive that trys to get you to slide it through every single turn on any track. Drifts better than a RUF, but has more traction. A big + if you screw up. 👍
 
Honda NSX at Suzuka

Mercedes SLR McLaren at Special Stage route 5
 
Lancia Stratos @ Autumn Ring
 
Back