FWD cars in enthusia

• Thread starter blkvzgo
  • 3 comments
GTP_blkvzgo
I really want this game, but it's extremely hard to find here, so it would be nice if some of the enthusia fans here could help me clarify this issue. You see I've read a lot about how rear wheel drive cars handle in the game and how realistic it is compared to GT4, but I haven't noticed anything about front wheel drive cars. How realistic are they modelled, is there any lift-off oversteer (in cars that have this characteristic in real life, of course), is it true that understeer isn't implemented correctly? And if possible please describe how it all compares to GT5:P. Thanks in advance.

I'd say that the FWDs in EPR are fairly accurate. Probably more so than GT5P, though not quite as easy to drive as the steering response in EPR is a bit muddy so you need to be very deliberate with your actions, and I personally find the brakes hard to modulate in EPR so I can't drive any car as smoothly as I can in GT5P.

Yes - there is lift-off oversteer. This is especially noticeable when you're trying to set hot laps at tracks such as the 'Ring, where trail braking and lift-off oversteer can get you into all sorts of trouble if you aren't careful.

I'd say that understeer is implemented fairly well. I had my reservations at first because I thought that the inside front wheel was a little too ready to spin when powering out of corners, though it was pointed out to me that it wasn't beyond reason at the sort of speeds you can experience in a game, which aren't often replicated in real life.

The different cars certainly handle very differently - I've driven the DC2 Integra Type R and EK9 Civic Type R a fair bit recently and it's quite easy to tell the differences, with the Integra feeling a little softer and rolling into oversteer more easily, the Civic stiffer and cornering better but a little harder to turn in on the brakes as a result - and these differences apply to any of the cars. In this respect it's better than GT4 for sure, and I'd even be tempted to say better than GT5, if not quite as fun owing to the extra difficulty, and the extra patience you need as mashing the throttle just doesn't work.

Overall, I'd say the game is equally impressive with FWDs as it is with RWDs and AWDs.

EPR replicates "wheel jacking", which is a fundamental characteristic of good FWD's (it's how they lift-oversteer smoothly). You'll notice the inside rear wheel lift in the VGS in something like a saxo/106, or the later mitsubishi evo's (especially when tuned). GT5:P or any previous iteration, does not do this (and in GT4 FWD's displayed lift understeer and power oversteer).

So i'd say that EPR has FWD's fairly well covered (i have a peugeot 205 gti track car). There's a little fidelity missing because the physics engine is running on a PS2, but i'd rather have that over the complete bollocks served up in other games (forza, GT, etc).

Amazing how Konami's first sim has such a good physics engine that even newer gen games can't surpass it. Although GT5:P has fixed most of the series' flaws, there's still much room to improve. I'm definately going to buy this game, maybe I'll try to find it when I'm in Europe.

Back