G25 and GT5p help

  • Thread starter Thread starter scour
  • 19 comments
  • 1,941 views
Messages
9
Messages
Scour
Hey guys, been browsing these forums for a while so thought I would sign up once I was having problems with my wheel.

Wheel is brand new but makes a really annoying noise while turning, FFB motors perhaps? its a real pain in the arse, almost sounds like a dual shock contorller vibrating on a wooden surface.

Anyway, Im having trouble driving with the wheel, I set FFB to 10 and pretty much everything in between but its just really hard to control.

I am trying as hard as I can to atleast complete a lap but I am doing so badly its crazy!

What settings do you use in the GT5p options, Simulation, Pro etc?
 
It takes a few weeks to get used to a wheel, don't sweat it. For days I was barely ever able to complete a lap myself.
As for the grinding noise, mine does it too, it's just part of the wheel I think. If it's making loud scraping noises though (like my 1st one), warranty claim right now.

Edit: Oh, and I use Force Feedback 10, simulation setting and no power assisted steering.
 
I concur with Paulie, it takes about 5-6hrs of playing, constant or not, to really start to understand the sensitivity of the G25 vs the DS3. Trick for me was, stick with the same car, same settings, and drive the same track over and over to really grasp the feel. I chose the R35 on Suzuka Short Course, which seemed to do well. My G25 is loud ,too. They are gear driven, so mechanical noise is inherent.
 
I dont get to much noice from my G25. Compeard to the DFP or other wheels its actually quiet.

However - I think you're using the stearing assist. I've turned on the stearing assist one time and the car was impossible to drive for me. Thrugh corners the wheel was making lots of noice and was making strange popping movements. This was a verry stiff car, so i think the wheel reaction had something to do with the cars stiffnes. Try to turn of stearing assist. If the noice is still there get yourself a new wheel.
 
However - I think you're using the stearing assist. I've turned on the stearing assist one time and the car was impossible to drive for me. Thrugh corners the wheel was making lots of noice and was making strange popping movements. This was a verry stiff car, so i think the wheel reaction had something to do with the cars stiffnes. Try to turn of stearing assist.

I would agree with this.If your wheel is set to anything other than pro,sim,and the forcefeedback is any higher than 5,and you have steering assist on.Then its going to make a lot of noise and the wheel will always be jumping about the place,because its trying to choose the right line for you.what i suggest you do is set it up on pro with the FFB at 5,spend at least an hour in time trial on fuji with those settings,and then adjust the FFB back or forward in ones untill you find the setting that suits your driving:).
 
Yes steering assists needs to be off.:)
 
When I first got my wheel I went from FFB of 5 down to a 3 and then back up to a 7. So it may be the FFB giving some trouble. Try moving the FFB down, cause I know 10 was just a nightmare, you are fighting the wheel all the time.:nervous:
 
Part of it is getting used to feeling the car - that's what FF is all about. If the FF is working hard enough to make a lot of noise it might be because you're asking the car to do things it doesn't want to do. If you're going in to corners too hot and turning the wheel too hard you do have to fight the wheel more than if you manage the weight transfer (be gentle with the pedals) and coax the car round. Smooth and gentle is the order of the day. With a controller you pretty much tell the car what to do; sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't and you find out by tyre noise or where you end up. With a wheel you have to ask nicely or it'll fight back. Try driving in way that gives you no tyre noise at all.
 
I will try those setting, I think steering assist was still set to mild so that may be why it keeps trying to throw my car out of control.

After searching youtube it appears me wheel is normal, never owned a wheel with FFB so was not expecting it to make so much noise. I does make a little click once it reaches full lock though, is that normal?

I have been using the R35 on High Speed ring (first S license test) and have managed to get a couple of clean laps. I believe I need to work on how I am correcting the car as drive it as its real, its not often i turn a wheel over 180 degrees at 200kmp/h!

Cheers guys, will give you all an update soon 👍
 
Alright, just did 15 laps (3 races) on high speed ring.

My settings under options are.

Steering Type: Professional (Is simulation better? cant tell difference yet)
Power-Assisted Steering: Off
Forcefeeback: 4

And in the driving options menu I turned everything off and set to to professional.

I am doing much slower lap times now that I am driving it like 'a real car' but I can follow the lines alot easier.

I am finding that when exiting a corner and on the gas the wheel tries to throw me into the outside wall. If I take that first long sweeping corner and let go of the wheel it shakes side to side. Is that normal?

Cheers.
 
Is there any link to a guide for G25 FAQs here in GTP? I tried to search but couldnt find any.:(
 
scour: what you are describing sounds 100% like the normal functioning of the wheel. It does make those grinding & whirring noises (less on the G25 than the DFP) - I use headphones, so I do not hear them while racing. Personally, I find the FFB in GT5P too light even at the 10 setting. With time you will adapt to driving with the wheel & really enjoy it. It's all good! 👍
 
One thing i always point out to people who use my wheel is the usefull range of the steering wheel. A quick easy way to find out how far the wheel needs to turn to get to full lock, is to bring up the cockpit view and turn your wheel until the wheel on screen stops at full lock. note this position, this will prevent you from turning the wheel past its usefull range.

Another tip I give beginners is to trust your steering input. As opposed to steering back and forth constantly correcting. I find alot of beginers cant keep the car going straight, they just start overcorrecting back and forth untill they spin out.
 
One thing i always point out to people who use my wheel is the usefull range of the steering wheel. A quick easy way to find out how far the wheel needs to turn to get to full lock, is to bring up the cockpit view and turn your wheel until the wheel on screen stops at full lock. note this position, this will prevent you from turning the wheel past its usefull range.

QUOTE]



Not so grog. The useful range of the g25 is the full 900 degrees.
Find a wide enough spot and start doing slow circles, you will find there is still more steering lock even after the graphical steering wheel stops turning. You can even see this by switch to the outside car view and using the look back button.
 
scour: what you are describing sounds 100% like the normal functioning of the wheel. It does make those grinding & whirring noises (less on the G25 than the DFP) - I use headphones, so I do not hear them while racing. Personally, I find the FFB in GT5P too light even at the 10 setting. With time you will adapt to driving with the wheel & really enjoy it. It's all good! 👍

Thanks alot thats good to hear :)

Will continue to practice as much as I can this weekend and hopefully be able to complete a challenging track, not just the high speed ring.

Cheers.
 
One thing i always point out to people who use my wheel is the usefull range of the steering wheel. A quick easy way to find out how far the wheel needs to turn to get to full lock, is to bring up the cockpit view and turn your wheel until the wheel on screen stops at full lock. note this position, this will prevent you from turning the wheel past its usefull range.

QUOTE]





Not so grog. The useful range of the g25 is the full 900 degrees.
Find a wide enough spot and start doing slow circles, you will find there is still more steering lock even after the graphical steering wheel stops turning. You can even see this by switch to the outside car view and using the look back button.


Yes your quite right, thanks for the correction. I still feel that you can use too much of the wheel, in effect losing track of where the center position is at.


I find that I only use about 360 degrees of the wheel. I feel like if I turn it any farther I will get all mixed up, and the tires usualy loose traction at that point anyway, for me anyway.

So do you guys use the full 900 degrees of the G25 while racing (not drifting) ?
 
So do you guys use the full 900 degrees of the G25 while racing (not drifting) ?
I've got a DFGT rather than G25, but it's 900-degree too. I never need to use much more than 360 degrees or so unless I get too sideways, but if I do get a big slide on I find it much harder to catch with the 900 degree wheel than with my old 300 degree GT Force. I'm learning to let go of the wheel at the appropriate moment and let it slide through my hands as the car straightens up, which helps, but I'd prefer not to have to move my hands at all. Putting max turning angle up to 50 isn't enough, I want to be able to limit the wheel to 540 degrees.
 
I've got a DFGT rather than G25, but it's 900-degree too. I never need to use much more than 360 degrees or so unless I get too sideways, but if I do get a big slide on I find it much harder to catch with the 900 degree wheel than with my old 300 degree GT Force. I'm learning to let go of the wheel at the appropriate moment and let it slide through my hands as the car straightens up, which helps, but I'd prefer not to have to move my hands at all. Putting max turning angle up to 50 isn't enough, I want to be able to limit the wheel to 540 degrees.

I agree, it would be nice to limit the the rotation to some where around 540, but unfortunately, there currently isn't.
With the dfp we have the "select, r3, right paddle" button combo which locked it down to 540, I think, and on the pc we can adjust it with the driver, but on the ps3 there just isn't any way.
Seeing as the g25 isn't an official ps3 controller, I'm guessing we won't get driver support for it.:(
 
I have just got my G25, and wonder about how to prog in handbrakes at the wheel.
Somebody who knows that?

Per



I find out in another thread.... :)
 
Last edited:
the simulation isent for the g25 its for the driving force wheels
so it doesent matter what you set it for you wont feel any diffrent
 
Back