G25 lack of steering lock ?

Hi all

I've just tried my G25 wheel for the first time with the time trial demo.
It seems fine apart from the lack of steering lock.
In the slow esses in 2nd gear I just run wide no matter how slow I go.
Definately a lack of steering lock and I cant see anything in the setting to change this. Its configured as a DFP wheel as suggested by others.
Any ideas on this ?

Cheers

Mark

It's because the G25 has 900 (can't find degree symbol) steering, where as the game lock to lock is much less, though not sure exact figure.
Your hands won't exactly match on screen so turn more than you feel you need to and you'll do just fine in the hairpins

I was just about to start a thread about this, I tried my controller last night for the first time in years on Gran Turismo and was shocked how easy it was to catch oversteer slides!!

It was if no matter how early I got on to full throttle and how much the back kicked out I could catch it since to get to full lock on the analogue stick was a quick tap. This meant that I could get on the power harder earlier. I didnt improve my lap time as Im not used to changing gears on the controller but im almost sure I could if I kept at it.

This is a bit annoying to me. I can tell from the faster ghosts that I mainly lose time as others seem to be able to get back on the power quicker than me but I am always too scared of a spin out to do it.

Is there any way the G25 lock to lock can be reduced from 900 degrees to say, 500 degrees so that lock can be achieved quicker - sort of like a quick rack set up?

Is there any way the G25 lock to lock can be reduced from 900 degrees to say, 500 degrees so that lock can be achieved quicker - sort of like a quick rack set up?

Now, that would be great! 900 degrees doesn't really suit me, hate crossing up my arms or letting go of the wheel. In other PC games that allow adjustment I find 300 degrees lock to lock is just right. Bottom line though is that I doubt we'll ever see reduced lock for G25, but there is absolutely no harm in wishing for it. :)

Now, that would be great! 900 degrees doesn't really suit me, hate crossing up my arms or letting go of the wheel. In other PC games that allow adjustment I find 300 degrees lock to lock is just right. Bottom line though is that I doubt we'll ever see reduced lock for G25, but there is absolutely no harm in wishing for it. :)

I thought i had read somewhere you could change something inside the wheel to make it less lock to lock. Cant think where I saw it though and now cant find the info.

Starting to think I am loosing the plot and imagined it

Found the bit I read - "Features Control 900° Rotation: Go 2½ times around lock to lock, or switch to 200° to support standard games."

Does this mean you can actually change it or does it just mean its compatible.

Obviously the wheel will always turn 2.5 times but if full lock in the game could be achieved after 1 turn that would be ideal.

I don't know about that mod for G25. The DFP had a key combination you could press to get 270 degrees (I believe) but I found that setting way too twitchy in GT4, but that was when I was still a wheel newbie, so who knows?

The narrow rotation wheels are much more suitable for really chucking the car around violently and with the new physics I can see that being a problem with low rotation wheels. I forget where I read it, but I do recall reading something about how the Fanatec wheels on small lock mode are extremely twitchy, some were claiming it was a bug but I wouldn't be surprised if that was more to do with the narrow rotation being too fierce for the physics.... all speculation of course being as I don't have one. :)

you could be right, if you reduced full lock to 1 turn it would mean that the amount you turned the wheel for every other turn would have to be more than halved. This would cause a twitchy effect as we would all be turning the wheel the amount we usually do (initially) and then correcting. Even with practice the margin for error would be tiny.

It really needs a compromise IMO, 200 degrees is too small but 900 degrees is to much for me to catch oversteer slides etc. 500 degrees would be optimum for me I reckon

Using a Logitech DF EX (which has roughly 200 degree rotation ONLY), I'm finding even the tuned car rather twitchy, so I'd advise against using a small lock if you can possibly avoid it.

Hey guys

Thanks for the help and comments. Turns out I just wasn't turning the wheel enough. Maybe I was concentrating too much on the cockpit hands.
Into the 1:38's in the tuned car so quite happy enough with that for the moment. Cheers and Merry Xmas to all

Mark

At first i always run wide on those corners.

My tip: Don't pay attention to the driving line if you are using it, just brake early and make sure you hug the kerb, don't put the power back on until you are pointing towards turn 10 (The second hairpin in that tight section, not the developers of Forza Motorsport. How fun would it be to accelerate towards Dan Greenawalt in a tuned 370z ;))

Same here: I've got a Logitech Formula Force GP, it's got a 200 degrees range lock-to-lock and with the Tuned 370Z it's very hard to keep the car straight, I have to make very frequent corrections.

Last edited:
I think the lock is fixed at 40, normally in GT5 you can adjust it to 50.

Try using amateur to minimise this.

Again, like the nanny ABS, it limits how hard you can push on opposite lock.

The only reason why real cars have huge throw is to avoid civilians crashing on motorways in the event of a sneeze. That's no joke.

180 degrees in both directions would be ideal.

Back