G25 shifter problems

• Thread starter Biggles
  • 10 comments
Simcoeace
Tonight my G25 shifter would not stay in gear: shifting from 4th to 5th it would continually jump into 3rd (I hate that sound! :ouch: ). I've encountered this occasionally in the past & it usually just required firmly pushing & holding in place. This time it just kept happening.

Anyone who's encountered this before have a suggestion to fix this problem?

This happened to me also where my 2nd and 4th gear would jump to 6th. The wiring inside might have snapped/disconnected and your best bet to fix it would be to send it in to logitech. I sent only the shifter in about a month ago and I got a whole brand new set sent back to me!

But if yours is past warranty you could try to solder it yourself.

This happened to me also where my 2nd and 4th gear would jump to 6th. The wiring inside might have snapped/disconnected and your best bet to fix it would be to send it in to logitech. I sent only the shifter in about a month ago and I got a whole brand new set sent back to me!

But if yours is past warranty you could try to solder it yourself.

When this happened, did it do it all the time? In my case, it only does it some of the time, as though the shifter does not "sit" properly in gear sometimes. The other thing it's doing is "passing through" 1st when I shift down from 3rd to 2nd - ie. the "1" gear lights flashes & the car over-revs for a second. It's wrecking havoc with my online racing. :ouch:

I'm not sure if the problem is electrical, software or, as I suspect mechanical - that something in the inner workings of the shifter mechanism is not "locking" properly. I'm just hoping someone at GTPlanet had a similar problem & was able to figure out how to fix it.

When this happened, did it do it all the time? In my case, it only does it some of the time, as though the shifter does not "sit" properly in gear sometimes. The other thing it's doing is "passing through" 1st when I shift down from 3rd to 2nd - ie. the "1" gear lights flashes & the car over-revs for a second. It's wrecking havoc with my online racing. :ouch:

I'm not sure if the problem is electrical, software or, as I suspect mechanical - that something in the inner workings of the shifter mechanism is not "locking" properly. I'm just hoping someone at GTPlanet had a similar problem & was able to figure out how to fix it.

This initially did not occur all the time, but after a couple weeks the gears were constantly going into 6th. I was able to get it into the right gear if I pushed the shift knob a little to the left when in gear, but of course it was inconvienent.

If it flashes 1 when you're going from 3rd to 2nd it definitely sounds like there is something wrong with the wiring in the shifter. But of course you should e-mail or call logitech because they are probably better at troubleshooting this than I am.

E mailed Logitech & got a reply in a couple of hours (on Saturday evening) - pretty impressive.

What I've noticed, is that there is no problem with the H-shifter in Ferrari Challenge - so it can't be strictly a hardware issue, I suppose.

Raced GT5P tonight with the shifter in sequential (for the first time in months): realized how much easier this is than the H-shifter - faster shifts & no question about whether you're going to select the right gear. Anyone who thinks it's easier with the G25, H-shifter & clutch is mistaken. More realistic it may be, but easier ... no!

There are seperate shifters on Ebay for only $29.99 + $8 shipping so I would go with that.

are there ones that are compatible with the g25 and feel more "realistic?"

by realistic, i mean.....stiffer shifting, the g25 Hshifter is just so....loose.

if you know what i mean

I know this is old as hell but I just ran across this problem and fixed it...

I pulled it apart and the 3 pin connector that sits where 4th gear would be was very loose. I cut off the connector and soldered the wires directly to the pins... works perfect again.

Do not attempt this without proper tools... everything is small and it is pretty tricky to reassemble properly.

Lol I know this old too, But I have another solution, This is one of the first results in google for this problem so i'll post it here :)

DO NOT DO THIS IF UNIT IS IN WARRENTY, AS IT WILL VOID.

Ok so you need to take off the top of your G25 as shown in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJeBq6kqAnU

The problem in most cases is the 2 pins (Shown on Pic Below) either side are loose, Them being loose means it the shifter doesn't clip in properly and will shift back too 3rd or 4th when you shift to either 1st or 2nd (If the left pin is loose) or 5th and 6th (If the pin is loose on right side).

g25shifter.jpg

So all you need to do is tighten those two pins and make sure they cannot move and then to be sure it does not happen again give them a good oil too lubricate them from un-screwing again.

Whilst your at it you can also oil all of the other mechansisms in the shifter, This will make it feel good as new :).

Hope this helps people out.

Kiz

I am having some problems with my shifter as well. In prologue when shifting out of first to second, it sometimes does not want to go into second and it just says "N". I have to slap it in a second time to get it to engage. But i also have NASCAR 09 and it only requires the use of the clutch off the line so all you have to do is powershift and it works everytime. This only started happening after i downloaded the latest spec III and i have found athat the only cure is to slow my shifting time down considerably, i mean by alot when going into 2, all the others are fine. I assume its just spec III that doesnt allow lightning fast 1-2 shifts as that is not very realistic. By the way, downshifting from 3rd to 2nd has no ill effects, never had a problem with it so far.

My G25 is 2 years old and the shifter started poping into neutral by itself tonight. The stick is in gear but in GT5P the gears pop back to neutral by itself. Yikes. Will try to take a look at the guts to see if I can spot the problem, but would appreciate any tips.

Latest Posts

Back