G25 shifter

• Thread starter Jamie-C
  • 11 comments
Ireland
Ireland
GTP_JamieC2311
Does anyone know where I can get a new shifter for G25? Mines is playing up. Try to get 1st some times engages neutral. 2nd is almost impossible, keeps engaging 4th. And when I go for 4th it either engages 2nd or 6th.

I've now resulted to using the paddles which I don't really like.

So if anyone can link me to a new shifter I would be very greatful 👍

I am sorry to say that I am not able to answer your post.

I am very interested to know the details on how the shifter got the way it is. Are you hard on it? Has it been in use for a very long time? How did it get damaged?

I do not have a G25 or G27, I am sort of shopping for one now.

I am sorry to say that I am not able to answer your post.

I am very interested to know the details on how the shifter got the way it is. Are you hard on it? Has it been in use for a very long time? How did it get damaged?

I do not have a G25 or G27, I am sort of shopping for one now.

TBH I'm not to sure, I bought the setup 2nd hand, iirc it is about 3 or 4 years old so its had quite a lot of use which could be the fault. I am pretty aggressive with it but not so much that it would break it. Maybe it is weak? I'm not sure.

Contact logitech.

They will rip me off :lol: Might have to do that. Can't find any online :(

And its just got worse :( Can no longer get 6th or reverse, just goes into 4th in the game :(

Any one else had a fault like this before?

If you are comfortable with opening up your shifter and do a little bit of DIY, it might be fixable.

There are two potentiometer located on the right and back side of the shifter shaft that determines your shifter position. If the shifter is shifting into different gear than the one you've selected (especially nearby parallel gates, 1>3, 6>4 etc and vice versa), it could be either: 1. one or both of the potentiometers had shifted out of position over time, or 2. one or both of the potentiometers are worn out and needs replacement.

shifterpositionpots.jpg

If it becomes unplayable, I would take the shifter apart and examine both potentiometers, rotate back and forth with your fingers to make sure they still rotate smoothly, clean and wipe off old grease and apply new if you have some handy, and make sure they slide in the proper position when you put everything back together. Both pots need to point straight downward into their channels when you reinsert the shifter unit back into the casing.

My shifter mod video should be plenty to guide you through the steps of taking apart and reassemble your shifter.

web version: http://chilicoke.com/mods/shifterresistance.htm

Yes Jamie, the G25 shifter is junk, many folks have the same issue.. including me. The G25 shifter works off a potentiometer, it depends on what position the pot is in..as to what gear it selects. There is no adjustments. The electronics shorted out on my first G25 while still under warranty, and was replaced. 6 months after I received my replacement the shifter started acting up. When I would downshift from 6th to 5th it would go to third. By this time it was out of warranty. I opened it up and forcefully "adjusted" some things. It now only works in 6 positions instead of 7.
The best thing to do is what I did, buy an aftermarket shifter, like the SST or Thomas shifter....the only negative to that is they are for PC's.. and I am thinking that you probably use this on a console system, although I have seen a post on some forum, where the SST was hacked to work on a console.
SST click me
Thomas shifter click me

Cheers for the help guys, stripped it down tonight to examine the potentiometers, didn't have no idea what I was looking for and had no success in examining them :lol:

How ever I did find a broken red wire, re-connected it thinking that was the fault. Re built the shifter up, tested it and its now worse. Same fault really but some gear changes aren't recognising in game at all!

Only gears working are 1st, 3rd and 5th, the rest do nothing at all, not even neutral.

Yes Jamie, the G25 shifter is junk, many folks have the same issue.. including me. The G25 shifter works off a potentiometer, it depends on what position the pot is in..as to what gear it selects. There is no adjustments. The electronics shorted out on my first G25 while still under warranty, and was replaced. 6 months after I received my replacement the shifter started acting up. When I would downshift from 6th to 5th it would go to third. By this time it was out of warranty. I opened it up and forcefully "adjusted" some things. It now only works in 6 positions instead of 7.
The best thing to do is what I did, buy an aftermarket shifter, like the SST or Thomas shifter....the only negative to that is they are for PC's.. and I am thinking that you probably use this on a console system, although I have seen a post on some forum, where the SST was hacked to work on a console.
SST click me
Thomas shifter click me

Yea seems like a proper donkey of a shifter :( Mate them shifters cost more than the wheel cost me :lol: way out of my price range if I'm honest. And yup, I'm playing on PS3 so no good to me anyway.

Thanks anyway 👍

You might want to take a look at this thread:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=112238

More than a year after I first had these issues, & "fixed" it, the shifter is still working perfectly. Unfortunately, I really have no idea what did to fix it - just taking it apart & putting it back together again seems to have done the job.

The G25 shifter really isn't a sturdy piece of hardware, but mine continues to function almost 3 years after I bought it. The real problem is that Logitech does not sell replacement parts, only complete G25 units.

Just stripped it again to check the potentiometer once I seen what it was, the bugger was upside down :lol: Lets hope it works this time :)

Well that wasn't the problem either, re built it again, now all the gears along the top (1st, 2nd and 3rd) all go into 1st in game and all the gears along the bottom (2nd, 4th, 6th and reverse) all go in to 2nd :(

Looks like its time for a new shifter/wheel.

Back