G27 Cooling fan/Over-heating

• Thread starter Left Turn
  • 14 comments
United States
Ohio
amp_88_jr
Hi all. Recently, I've been noticing my G27 has been getting warm over the last few months, and tonight after a 200 lap Daytona adventure, My wheel was very hot and I became worried :nervous: . So after I got my wheel some fresh air and let it cool down, I had two questions, 1: Can the wheel be hurt by being too warm? And, 2: Is there a cheap and effective way to cool down my wheel ( I.E. a desk or game system fan.)? Thanks for reading and for any advice! My G27 is like a family member to me, and I don't really want to replace it.

I think the wheel will shut itself off automatically before the heat can damage it, as for the cooling solution I don't know sorry.

I cut out the plastic blocking the grills on the front. Then I added these cooling fans / heatsinks that are meant for RC motors. I also used flexible tubing to vent heat straight out those front grills . The fans are powered by an old cell phone charger.

GT50.jpg

GT51.jpg

GT52.jpg

IMG_1139.jpg

That is some nice work. From the amount of extra space in the housing it kind of looks like they intended to originally have heatsinks. I wouldn't think the tubing would be that helpful though.

Hi all. Recently, I've been noticing my G27 has been getting warm over the last few months, and tonight after a 200 lap Daytona adventure, My wheel was very hot and I became worried :nervous: . So after I got my wheel some fresh air and let it cool down, I had two questions, 1: Can the wheel be hurt by being too warm? And, 2: Is there a cheap and effective way to cool down my wheel ( I.E. a desk or game system fan.)? Thanks for reading and for any advice! My G27 is like a family member to me, and I don't really want to replace it.

For you as a G27 user, the wheel will shut off automatically if the wheel becomes too warm to avoid possible damage. I use a DFGT and unfortunately it doesn't have this feature I think so I have to be careful on how hard I use the wheel. As for a cooling solution, I just have a fan blowing into the air holes on the wheel and that usually kees it nice and cool.

That is some nice work. From the amount of extra space in the housing it kind of looks like they intended to originally have heatsinks. I wouldn't think the tubing would be that helpful though.

Thanks.
I had to cut some plastic (screw supports) to make room for tubes . I also had to trim fins on heat sink because they hit the steering rack.
Without the tubing the hot air would just stay inside the housing. I measured the top of the housing before I added the fans and it read 96 deg F after an hour of hard driving. Now it stays around 80 deg.

That's excellent modding, Gray, I've seen some G2x cooling mods and they're most often just cutting holes in the top of the case for some PC fans. Then again most cooling mods I've seen involve 48V or so motors, so maybe it's justified...

I've never had a problem with my G27 getting too hot but when it's out of warranty, if it does get hot and turn itself off I'll probably steal your solution, minus the pipes. I wonder if the small cuts in the top of the case are vents or if they're just for show, they could also be cut through if they're the latter.

My G27 gets hot whenever I rally in GT5 or drive faster cars in Rfactor like an LMP for an extended period of time. I'm going to assume Logitech took things like this into account and I've never heard of a wheel "over heating" so I think you're safe. But just to be safe, I usually try and let it cool for a few minutes after a "heated" session. I also notice that the wheel doesn't get as hot if I have the ceiling fan in the room on, but maybe I'm crazy.

That's excellent modding, Gray, I've seen some G2x cooling mods and they're most often just cutting holes in the top of the case for some PC fans. Then again most cooling mods I've seen involve 48V or so motors, so maybe it's justified...

I've never had a problem with my G27 getting too hot but when it's out of warranty, if it does get hot and turn itself off I'll probably steal your solution, minus the pipes. I wonder if the small cuts in the top of the case are vents or if they're just for show, they could also be cut through if they're the latter.

Only 4 (2 on each side) of those top vents go thru. The others are for show but I used a dremel tool and opened them up.

Problem should be fixed by just cutting the plastic grill. Not that I had it, but it's a common solution in...everything.

Does anyone have a guide to do it? From opening it to what exactly should I cut. This is one of 2 mods on my list, the other being the rubber o ring shifter.

Last edited:

By that you probably referring to ARC_Team mod (to G25/G27). Actually the motors are not changed and that the mod improves the power supplied to the motors which is probably what you intended to say :)

Via the ARC_Team mod, the stock PS of the G25/G27 which sits at a very paltry 42W (24V 1.75A) is increased to 144W (48V 3A). That's actually more than the PS to the both the CSR-E and the CSW (24V 5A 120W) but slightly less than that of the T500RS (24V 6.67A 160W).

Back