G27 - is this normal?

• Thread starter Huks
  • 6 comments

Huks

Lurker
Premium
Finland
Finland
Backstory: Three weeks ago, I bought an used G27 in seemingly perfect condition.
Unfortunately, a problem developed about two weeks ago. I tried playing WRC: Rally Evolved on the PS2 with the G27. Big mistake, it tuned out. The FFB in the game made really loud noises, so I had to stop playing in order to prevent my new toy from getting damaged. I might have been too late...

The next morning, I noticed my G27 felt... different. The wheel now seems to have a tiny bit of play when turning left or right just a bit. It's very small, a fraction of a millimetre, but it's there. In addition, when I turn the wheel left and right harder, it makes a clunky noise, like in this video:

The uploader of the video said the same noise on his wheel appeared after some hundred hours of racing.

The issue is fairly cosmetic, as the noise doesn't affect gameplay at all, but I'm bummed about my new toy getting broken so soon. :indiff:

Anyone else having this issue? My G27 might still have some warranty left, so I might be able to get it replaced if I contacted the former owner. Or is this behaviour completely normal, and am I driving myself insane by forgetfullness and paranoia?

There ate a couple of components that would cause this, namely the gears for the FFB and the block of plastic for the steering stop. sounds to me like the first since you notice a bit of extra play. The ffb gears and the hear on the wheel have some pretension set to them to keep play out of the wheel, its possible the vibrations you experienced may have worked it out somehow. If it is warrantied, have it replaced, if not then do a search for g27 calibration issues. Eventually you will find a link that shows you the process of tearing down the unit and resetting the tension

Backstory: Three weeks ago, I bought an used G27 in seemingly perfect condition.
Unfortunately, a problem developed about two weeks ago. I tried playing WRC: Rally Evolved on the PS2 with the G27. Big mistake, it tuned out. The FFB in the game made really loud noises, so I had to stop playing in order to prevent my new toy from getting damaged. I might have been too late...

The next morning, I noticed my G27 felt... different. The wheel now seems to have a tiny bit of play when turning left or right just a bit. It's very small, a fraction of a millimetre, but it's there. In addition, when I turn the wheel left and right harder, it makes a clunky noise, like in this video:

The uploader of the video said the same noise on his wheel appeared after some hundred hours of racing.

The issue is fairly cosmetic, as the noise doesn't affect gameplay at all, but I'm bummed about my new toy getting broken so soon. :indiff:

Anyone else having this issue? My G27 might still have some warranty left, so I might be able to get it replaced if I contacted the former owner. Or is this behaviour completely normal, and am I driving myself insane by forgetfullness and paranoia?

that should not make that noise when turning the steering wheel like that

Try to tighten those screws what are pointed with green arrows, if still noisy check rest of repair manual (click on image) and open your wheel and start checking all :)

sure, If you can find some? Might be able to find someone with a broken wheel that could set you up, but I dont know that this is something that is available to buy separate from the wheel. Your best bet is to get some screws that will fit the mounting points on the bottom.

sure, If you can find some? Might be able to find someone with a broken wheel that could set you up, but I dont know that this is something that is available to buy separate from the wheel. Your best bet is to get some screws that will fit the mounting points on the bottom.

Ok thanks for the help. I might just get it new.

Back