G27 VGA Connector Mod

• Thread starter Sim247
  • 2 comments
Malta
Malta
Well, I'm planning to quick release my G27 with a slimline quick release, but I don't want to loose my ability to use buttons.

I have seen some users connect their buttons on their steering wheel to the g27 base with a quick release via a vga connector.

Does anybody have an idea on how to do this mod?, as I can't find any information or guide!

sim247

They're not VGA connectors, they're DB 9/D-Sub 9/Serial connectors. Get a male and female connector, cut your original cable wherever you want the quick release to go and solder the new connectors on the cut ends. You'll have to use a multimeter and some common sense to work out which colour wires connect to which pins.

Alternatively you can make a new cable instead of cutting the old one (which will help you keep your warranty, if you have one), but people have run into trouble finding connectors that fit in the limited space underneath. If you're good with epoxy resin you could always pot your own to protect the wires or just risk leaving it bare, but that's probably a bad idea.

Finally, you could find a spot on the side or top of the wheel casing to cut a hole for a panel mount serial connector so you can just plug the cables straight in. Making up the other end of that cable is much trickier though because you'd need to find the right kind of locking PCB header to fit the kind on the wheel's PCB, or alternatively you can just buy a matched pair with the right pin pitch (either 2.54mm or 2mm depending on which header it is, I forget) and replace the plastic locking part on the board.

Edit: sadly it's the kind of mod that you pretty much need to know how to do to be able to do it, I mean if you don't know a DB 9 from a VGA then you'd already be stuck without much info to go on. After that it's just a case of being careful, taking your time and being able to solder at a basic level, really.

They're not VGA connectors, they're DB 9/D-Sub 9/Serial connectors. Get a male and female connector, cut your original cable wherever you want the quick release to go and solder the new connectors on the cut ends. You'll have to use a multimeter and some common sense to work out which colour wires connect to which pins.

Alternatively you can make a new cable instead of cutting the old one (which will help you keep your warranty, if you have one), but people have run into trouble finding connectors that fit in the limited space underneath. If you're good with epoxy resin you could always pot your own to protect the wires or just risk leaving it bare, but that's probably a bad idea.

Finally, you could find a spot on the side or top of the wheel casing to cut a hole for a panel mount serial connector so you can just plug the cables straight in. Making up the other end of that cable is much trickier though because you'd need to find the right kind of locking PCB header to fit the kind on the wheel's PCB, or alternatively you can just buy a matched pair with the right pin pitch (either 2.54mm or 2mm depending on which header it is, I forget) and replace the plastic locking part on the board.

Edit: sadly it's the kind of mod that you pretty much need to know how to do to be able to do it, I mean if you don't know a DB 9 from a VGA then you'd already be stuck without much info to go on. After that it's just a case of being careful, taking your time and being able to solder at a basic level, really.

Well everybody has to start from somewhere

Back