G27 vs G920

• Thread starter HuskyGT
  • 9 comments
United States
Utah
Hello guys! So unfortunately my G27 decided to break yesterday. I get a flashing green light and have no response on the wheel. Not sure what happened since I barely used this wheel other than with ATS and ETS2.

Anyway... I don't want to deal with having to contact Logitech or having it fixed. I'll just but a new one. My question is: How well does the G920 deal with Windows 10? Lately, and before it broke, my G27 wasn't getting along too well with Win10, often being recognised as a Driving Force, or flat out not being recognized at all.

How different is the G920 on terms of feel? I know it's just a glorified G27, but some people vaguely state that it doesn't feel the same.

Also. Is there a difference with the shifter, or should I save myself some money and keep the G27 shifter?

Thanks.

If you just wanna use it on PC then the G29 would be better than the G290 as it has more buttons.

It also depends on what hardware you have. The G920 will work on the Xbox One and PC. The G29 will work on PS3/PS4 & PC.

I don't notice much difference between the G25 that I used to have and the G29 I have now. The only difference was the brake pedal on the G29 was much harder to push, so I'm using the G29 wheel with my G25 pedals.

Neither come with the gear lever, but the one you have for the G27 should function as an H-gate shifter, but the other buttons on it won't work.

..... before it broke, my G27 wasn't getting along too well with Win10, often being recognised as a Driving Force, or flat out not being recognized at all.

Were you plugging into a USB 3.0 port? y wheel does not like the USB 3.0 ports. I had the same issue, I think that I removed the Logitech profiler, reinstalled it and kept my wheel plugged into a USB 2 and it has been fine since.

I don't think that the G29/G920 is an 'upgrade' to a G27, other than the better brake pedal, which is essentially Logitech's own version of the Nixim brake mod for the G27 pedals. The wheel is pretty much the same.

I still have a G27 in daily use, so I'm biased..... but I don't like the way in which Logitech removed the shifter from the G29/G920 and packaged it separately. In doing so, they have had to relocate the shifter buttons to the wheel and I can't see how this is really a benefit, unless you simply don't have room to mount a shifter!

Were you plugging into a USB 3.0 port? y wheel does not like the USB 3.0 ports. I had the same issue, I think that I removed the Logitech profiler, reinstalled it and kept my wheel plugged into a USB 2 and it has been fine since.

I don't think that the G29/G920 is an 'upgrade' to a G27, other than the better brake pedal, which is essentially Logitech's own version of the Nixim brake mod for the G27 pedals. The wheel is pretty much the same.

I still have a G27 in daily use, so I'm biased..... but I don't like the way in which Logitech removed the shifter from the G29/G920 and packaged it separately. In doing so, they have had to relocate the shifter buttons to the wheel and I can't see how this is really a benefit, unless you simply don't have room to mount a shifter!

The 3.0 USB port seemed to be another issue. At one point my wheel was being placed in a completely different category in the device manager. These last weeks I had to uninstall the software and manually update the drivers everytime I plugged my wheel. All of my USB ports seem to be 3.0... I think.

I'm still deciding what to do. The G29 seems to be another good option now since I might blow the dust off of my PS4 and get back to GT once Sport comes out. I'm just a bit worried about compatibility since that model is designed for the PS4, and I mostly game on PC. Forza 7 might be announced later this year as well.

The 3.0 USB port seemed to be another issue. At one point my wheel was being placed in a completely different category in the device manager. These last weeks I had to uninstall the software and manually update the drivers everytime I plugged my wheel. All of my USB ports seem to be 3.0... I think.

I'm still deciding what to do. The G29 seems to be another good option now since I might blow the dust off of my PS4 and get back to GT once Sport comes out. I'm just a bit worried about compatibility since that model is designed for the PS4, and I mostly game on PC. Forza 7 might be announced later this year as well.
I'm fairly certain that you don't want to be using USB 3.0 ports. I've had issues and others have too. I don't know whether or not the G29 is the same and doesn't like the USB 3.0, it could be and it's something to check. (Anyone on here running a G29 know??)

What motherboard are you using? Most manufacturers still have some USB 2.0 ports on the rear or a suitable header.

I'm fairly certain that you don't want to be using USB 3.0 ports. I've had issues and others have too. I don't know whether or not the G29 is the same and doesn't like the USB 3.0, it could be and it's something to check. (Anyone on here running a G29 know??)

What motherboard are you using? Most manufacturers still have some USB 2.0 ports on the rear or a suitable header.

I'm using an ASUS z170. I only see four USB ports in the back. Two are being used by my keyboard, which I think those might be 2.0. Not sure. The whole block of four is labeled as USB 3.1. The two on top are not labeled, but my wheel won't work with those either. By now I'm sure my G27 has died. It won't even calibrate. the pedals and shifter are recognized, but the wheel won't respond.

The two top USB ports at the back are USB 2 (black centres on them). Plug the wheel into them.

I wonder if the transformer for the G27 has died? Check all the connections, especially the transformer. 👍

@Ian_83 Yeah. Just tried. It didn't work, so I assume it's the wheel. I ordered another power adapter. I hope that fixes it. If not I'll just buy the G920.

You say you don't want to deal with Logitech? The 2 times I've dealt with Logitech has been great. Just call em up and they walk you through the trouble shooting, then if it doesn't work they email you a shipping label. A week later they have a new wheel at your door, unless you've took your g27 apart.

I had a g27 and now I have a G29, they are about the same internally and the pedals have supposedly better springs, with the brake pedal being a more 'progressive' spring. I'll just say I like the 29 more than my 27.

Latest Posts

Back