G29 loses power when pedals are connected, help!

• Thread starter SHuang
  • 2 comments
United States
United States
Hi, I've been casually playing Assetto Corsa with my G29 for about 2 years now and recently I've been having issues with my G29. The other day when I went to play but my setup wasn't turning on or connecting to my computer. After a lot of trial and error I realized that my setup loses power whenever the pedals are connected as shown in this video:

After perusing some threads, some people suggested that it was perhaps a short in the pedals. I inspected the wires and none of them seem to have any visible damage to them. I went out and bought a multimeter to see check "continuity" of the wires but any two points that I touch on the wiring harness/potentiometers/DB9 port seem to flow (i'm not sure if this means anything, i'm pretty new to this stuff).

I saw in another thread here: where /u/wrobc suggested testing the resistance of the potentiometers saying they should have a resistance somewhere close to 3k Ohms however when I attempted to test the resistance it was showing a reading of 1 Ohm? Not sure if I'm not doing it correctly:

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I haven't been able to race for a couple days now and I'm quite bored.

Thank you!

1. Take a note of the wire colours connected to each potentiometer so that you know how to reconnect them.
2. Disconnect all the wires from the potentiometers, they should just pull off as they are spade connectors.
3. Measure the resistance of the legs on each pot and you should get resistance readings greater than 1000 Ohms. If you have a pot with a reading of 1 Ohm between any 2 legs then it is knackered.

I think you will find the pots are probably fine and you have a damaged cable that will need to be repaired or replaced. If you see broken insulation and bare wire then you will need to repair it.

I think you will find the pots are probably fine and you have a damaged cable that will need to be repaired or replaced. If you see broken insulation and bare wire then you will need to repair it.

Yeah, that sounds plausible. Disconnect the pots and test the cable for shorts.

Edit: Also, in your video you measured resistance with the wires attached, so even though you are moving the probes from pot to pot, you are actually measuring at the same point, electrically speaking. The outer lugs of the pots are connected in parallel to +5V and ground (i.e. if all three pots were 10kohms you should get a reading of 10k/3 = 3k3 ohm on a working set of pedals not connected to the base) — the pots are set up as voltage dividers, and it's the voltage of the middle lug (compared to either ground or 5V) of each pot that the controller in the wheel is reading to sense the pedal angle.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back