g29 uncontrollable

• Thread starter Leeroy1995
  • 26 comments
Denmark
Denmark
I've searched and googled to no avail, so i try asking here now.

i got the Logitech g29 and i have used it with no problems on the pc for trucking and i've finally got a seat and gt sport and everybody says it's plug and play but i plug in the wheel to the ps4 and it's super stiff and hard to turn, i figured it would go loose once i initiated a race but no, i can steer but most the time the wheel is countersteering me and the tiniest bumps into another car or wall, the wheel starts spinning and turning like crazy and i can't hold it, and yes i tried turning the FFB settings both up, down and off and no change.

i can't find any settings for the wheel in-game or in the ps4 settings

please if this sounds familiar to anyone i would appreciate some help

kind regards Lee

Have you tried to reduce the so-called "Force Feedback Max. Torque" which is accessible in the "Driving Options"/"Detailed Settings" e.g. when pausing the game? It is explained in the manual here (scroll down about a page.) Also, you are supposed to keep your hands on the wheel at all time.

Edited to add that the Logitech settings app on PC only affect the wheel on PC - the setting changes made there make no difference on consoles, as the G wheels lack internal settings memory.

Last edited:
Sounds like it's faulty to me. I would say it is a little difficult to turn (speaking as a fellow owner of the G29) but if it does turn like crazy you have to hold it still. I can quite easily with mine.

Have you tried to reduce the so-called "Force Feedback Max. Torque" which is accessible in the "Detailed Settings" e.g. when pausing the game? It is explained in the manual here (scroll down about a page.) Also, you are supposed to keep your hands on the wheel at all time.
Can't imagine why you would take your hands off the wheel during a race.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't imagine why you would take your hands off the wheel during a race.
I've seen several posts by people who expect their FFB wheel to exactly mimic a real steering wheel when the let go of the wheel - like when leaving the track and hitting a wall. I was just trying to help the OP - not having an argument.

I've searched and googled to no avail, so i try asking here now.

i got the Logitech g29 and i have used it with no problems on the pc for trucking and i've finally got a seat and gt sport and everybody says it's plug and play but i plug in the wheel to the ps4 and it's super stiff and hard to turn, i figured it would go loose once i initiated a race but no, i can steer but most the time the wheel is countersteering me and the tiniest bumps into another car or wall, the wheel starts spinning and turning like crazy and i can't hold it, and yes i tried turning the FFB settings both up, down and off and no change.

i can't find any settings for the wheel in-game or in the ps4 settings

please if this sounds familiar to anyone i would appreciate some help

kind regards Lee
A video of your G29 will be more helpful, in GT Sport my G29 is fine.

ignore that it's filmed vertically, i was more focused on trying to steer, but as you can see in the video, it jerks around and at the end, it turns and pulls so much i can't hold on

and it's not faulty as it works perfectly on pc

I'll ask on the Logitech forums as well

Looks fine to me. At the end of the video it looks like the car is spinning out of control and you let go of it. The wheel is reacting to the change of direction of the front tyres.

My wheel does the same. You just need to hold on, with 2 hands (I know you had your phone in one hand for the purpose of the video).

As others have stated, maybe turn down your FFB and torque settings if it feels to strong.

ignore that it's filmed vertically, i was more focused on trying to steer, but as you can see in the video, it jerks around and at the end, it turns and pulls so much i can't hold on

and it's not faulty as it works perfectly on pc

I'll ask on the Logitech forums as well

That is normal when it spins when you take your hand off the wheel.

Last edited:
i was more focused on trying to steer, but as you can see in the video, it jerks around and at the end, it turns and pulls so much i can't hold on
Have you ever been driving a real car while it was crashing? It's not particularly easy to hold on to that either - especially if you let go in the middle of the accident.

I've tried turning the FFB setting both up and down and the stiffness is still there.
on pc in ets2, there is no stiffness, it's just easy to turn, while on the ps4 i have to use all my strength.
like on pc, its like real life but with ps4 it's 10 times worse than my own car which doesn't have power steering.

@fordlaser what do you mean by steering options?

I've tried turning the FFB setting both up and down and the stiffness is still there.
on pc in ets2, there is no stiffness, it's just easy to turn, while on the ps4 i have to use all my strength.
like on pc, its like real life but with ps4 it's 10 times worse than my own car which doesn't have power steering.

@fordlaser what do you mean by steering options?
I mean your Driving options sorry, this is my settings below and it makes it easy to drive.

Controller steering sensitivity 0
Force feedback max touque 4
Force feedback sensitivity 3

Last edited:
i've tried the same arcade race with the torque high and low

Attachments

• 20200222_135530.jpg
    20200222_135530.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 157
  • 20200222_135601.jpg
    20200222_135601.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 157
  • 20200222_135619.jpg
    20200222_135619.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 151
ets2, there is no stiffness, it's just easy to turn, while on the ps4 i have to use all my strength.
Light steering in a truck simulator, but heavy steering in a racing car...

The wheel seems to behave completely normally in the video you posted. It jerks around while you are crashing because you are crashing - the driving wheels are trying to change direction, so the steering wheel is trying to change direction. And then you let go of it, so you weren't providing any resistance to it.

Try setting torque sensitivity and strength to 3/3.

it might be all wrong for the "pro's" but I set the torque and sensitivity to 1 each and then set traction control to max and that seemed to make it work and be drivable and not fight me through every turn

it might be all wrong for the "pro's" but I set the torque and sensitivity to 1 each and then set traction control to max and that seemed to make it work and be drivable and not fight me through every turn
Try Force feedback max torque 4 and leave sensitivity at 1 or 2 and see how it feels.

I always run high sensivity and low strength on my setups and have been doing fine with that since GT5.

idk if it‘s still possible with the newer Logitech wheels but on the old ones you could just plug out the power cable and run the wheel without any FFB. Back in the day that was the only way to drive the Red Bull Fan Car :lol:

Your video looks fine to me.

If you have problems with hardware like this, it's usually best to try it on the lowest possible settings, then the highest. Then you'll know if there really is a problem, and you can make small adjustments up or down depending on what's comfortable.

I started using a G29 last December and had my settings at 1/1. Then I played Project Cars and Assetto Corsa for a bit and when I went back to Gran Turismo it felt like a toy, so I bumped it up to 3/3. If I had a real rig I'd like it to be higher, but my current set-up doesn't quite have that stability. If you're new to a wheel, just drive slower/more stable cars for a bit until you get used to it. You'll get there.

Torque 1 and sensitivity 10 is the easiest and smoothest settings I've found.

The best way to test these settings is with high power cars at full speed on the route X banking. those settings gave me the least difficulty in holding a smooth line in the banked turns.

found the settings that work for me and then doing the entire beginner part of the driving school to learn to drive with the wheel has helped with getting used to the stiffness.

guess i was just being a newb thinking the wheel should be looser

Max torque should be 4 or 5 on your G29. Not at 10. At 10 it's obviously harder to steer, plus you will have massive clipping issues due to the wheel not being able to process the FFB correctly in GTS.

My settings are:

Controller: 7
Max Torque: 4
Steering Sensitivity: 10

The middle field is the one you need to alter. At 4 or 5 the wheel does not shake or have clipping on Sport. If you can't turn the wheel properly at 4 or 5, then i'd suggest being more active with your arms in life. As there's no way it's hard to turn on my settings. Even my girlfriend can handle that :lol:

Little switch on top set to "PS4"? Otherwise, I'm with everyone else. Lower torque and sensitivity. Running 4/4, playing with Controller Sensitivity for lock/turn-in tuning.

Slighlty off topic, but doesnt the sensitivity option only affect controllers? I've used it on minimum, maximum and everywhere in between and cant feel any difference when using a wheel.

Slighlty off topic, but doesnt the sensitivity option only affect controllers? I've used it on minimum, maximum and everywhere in between and cant feel any difference when using a wheel.

Allegedly it doesn't but people adjust it just in case.

Latest Posts

Back