Game Poll: Fifth-gen NFS Games

• Thread starter Stephan
  • 23 comments

What's your favorite 64-bit NFS game and why?

• Road and Track Presents: The Need For Speed

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Need For Speed II

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • Need For Speed: High Stakes

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed/2000

Votes: 13 31.7%

• Total voters

Stephan

Still progressing........
Premium
Philippines
Manila
Filracer
Before I start, I would like to thank @The87Dodge for letting me use his car polls idea. The rules are the same in his car polls thread but in this version, it's going to be more on game genres/series. So basically vote the game then state why you voted for that game. A discussion would be ok.

For now the first 3 threads I'll be making is about the NFS series then the next ones will be on the Console and PC subforum.

So now in this first poll, it's about the PS1, 3DO, PC, and Sega Saturn NFS games.

Here are your choices:

Road and Track Presents: The Need For Speed (1994-96, PC, DOS, Sega Saturn, Panasonic 3DO, and PS1)
images

Need For Speed II (1997, PC, PS1)
images

Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit (1998, PC, PS1)
r0QhzCY-frf_HwYXBFlnfIpw4zbM-QuSHrRIGS-8k1113nF7rWUoFGxgHKQfEbDBhAasxG728mPSjGHz8Io2Z7XR_xswAaVcJmTEiVBfhcGSEFxTpb-RrpWOQylwjWUaRr0D-GrDN7yxkA5CNDNwsq8=w256-h315-nc

Need For Speed: High Stakes (1999, PC, PS1)
B0w_AUZHto4r2nbDmDzC0vS6FrjH111qE4JMZJgqITX4MsuDTS7Wv1P8vIAXZ8P7lLYyU1yLUN90eWuyUasgRoECebFcz77HmMMjajtNsh7FGaal9R2Wv4akVsSybQ=w325-h331-nc

Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed/2000 (2000, PC, PS1, GBA)
LeW0LlXWVROHnLpWB5YJfZ9ruLeeyvVp2PZbuBVeclBBc_5tmH0BdtKugptJ97lOWPJKnsI3ptkIVENVLnBN90VTycXDic9NsUacdxzpVjY7w5l94IWbb5Ag4WrETnC_44ZDdDzlf-k2GBAxoUkW5jtbmexf1w=w256-h310-nc

Start voting and the choice is yours.

You can also vote 2 NFS games if you want.

I voted for 3 (NFS II, III and PU), but really all 5 of them are memorable for me for their own reasons.

NFS I: This is the very first racing game that I ever played. First time picking up a PS1 controller. First time driving (virtually). I only played it once or twice at my uncle's place but it's the one that started everything for me.

NFS II: First NFS that I got for myself. Has the best main menu theme EVER. Also McLaren F1. And that Jaguar XJ220 video is boss.

NFS III: Probably my most played NFS in the PS1 era. Physics are a perfect blend between sim and arcade, car selection is great, the tracks are beautiful and challenging at the same time. Main menu and showcase music is godly.

NFS IV: Probably my least played NFS, along with the first one. For some reason the physics never got on with me. Cars felt heavy and unresponsive. Also the career mode is pretty hard so playing with only the 3 original tracks gets boring fast. I had some fun Hot Pursuit races with my uncle though.

NFS PU: I normally don't like Porsches. This game is the only thing in the world that can make me like Porsches. Nuff said. Also the only game out of the 5 that I completed career mode fully. I may also have watched the Evolution video 100+ times.

I voted for 3 (NFS II, III and PU), but really all 5 of them are memorable for me for their own reasons.

NFS I: This is the very first racing game that I ever played. First time picking up a PS1 controller. First time driving (virtually). I only played it once or twice at my uncle's place but it's the one that started everything for me.

NFS II: First NFS that I got for myself. Has the best main menu theme EVER. Also McLaren F1. And that Jaguar XJ220 video is boss.

NFS III: Probably my most played NFS in the PS1 era. Physics are a perfect blend between sim and arcade, car selection is great, the tracks are beautiful and challenging at the same time. Main menu and showcase music is godly.

NFS IV: Probably my least played NFS, along with the first one. For some reason the physics never got on with me. Cars felt heavy and unresponsive. Also the career mode is pretty hard so playing with only the 3 original tracks gets boring fast. I had some fun Hot Pursuit races with my uncle though.

NFS PU: I normally don't like Porsches. This game is the only thing in the world that can make me like Porsches. Nuff said. Also the only game out of the 5 that I completed career mode fully. I may also have watched the Evolution video 100+ times.
I actually played RnT: TNFS on the expensive Panasonic 3DO. The only difference is that it has Racer X FMV sequences.

Man I feel like this is where the cheesy acting of NFS started. Not Most Wanted '05.

I don't normally go in the NFS section, but if I stumble across a thread about classic NFS games, I make an exception.

Of the five available, I've only ever played Hot Pursuit (tried it on PS but only has it on PC) and High Stakes (or, as they want me to call it, Road Challenge - only ever played it on PC).

High Stakes wasn't a thing in my life until I spotted it at a garage sale in the early 00's (much begging my parents ensued and somehow I now have 3 cds for it. Not sure how that works), but Hot Pursuit is about as essential a part of my childhood as Gran Turismo 2 (and that's saying a lot!) and it introduced me to one of my all-time biggest somewhat-guilty pleasures, Lamborghini Diablo SV. I'm a little at a loss for how to describe this game, it just has a certain magic that the newer games can't quite capture. Maybe it's the fact they actually seemed to care more for the cars beyond a simple 3d model, with a comprehensive showcase of specs, history and a billion reference photos for every non-fictional car.

Car selection, as I've briefly touched upon, is utterly brilliant. Base game comes with everything from Jaguar XK8 and Chevrolet Corvette to Lamborghini Countach and Ferrari 550 Maranello, with cars such as Ferrari 456 M GT and Lister Storm available for download (even today, if you know where to look). Pretty much every 90s european sports-/supercar except (sadly) the F1 and F50 are included or available as official addon for this. Then, of course, there's the mods.

Track selection may not be huge compared to todays standards, but that's not the point. Each track has a unique feel to them, an identity. From the high speed countryside of Hometown, the futuristic Atlantica, the ruins of Lost Canyons and the rollercoaster ride that is Summit to the dark, foreboding Empire City with it's special easter egg. And of course the hidden ones in the PS release. Speaking of tracks, I'm quite amused by the fact an unfinished track was discovered in the PS1 version as recently as late last year - more than 15 years after release! NFS3 Hidden Things much?

Soundtracks in both games each have their pros and cons. I slightly prefer NFS3 as the overall package, but I won't deny I've spent my fair share of time listening to HS as well.

Generally, the PC version of High Stakes is essentially an elaborate addon for Hot Pursuit, adding a few cars and tracks, vehicle damage, a career mode and more Hot Pursuit gamemodes (Getaway ftw), but maintains the basic features. In essense, this is to HP what GT6 is to GT5.

Because I don't want to just take the easy way out and vote for both of them, I'll vote for just one. Clearly High Stakes has more content and thus would be the logical choice, but all of my heart and soul screams to pick Hot Pursuit, and honestly, if the original development team was to remaster it, complete with updated AI, graphics enhancements, the same cars and tracks (including all bonuses and previously unfinished ones) and classic non-drifty-yet-simcade physics and sell it, I would buy it in an instant. Even if it's at full price.

Wow, that hidden track is awesome. I remember you can drive a T-rex (among other silly things) in NFS II as well :lol: Old games are such a hoot.

TNFS, NFS II and NFS III Hot Pursuit were good games, NFS High Stakes was very enjoyable, with the introduction of career mode and monetary system somehow made me play it alot and NFS Porsche Unleashed was the best NFS Game i have ever played, it was the first NFS game to have free roam too. (I Played all of these on my PS1)

TNFS, NFS II and NFS III Hot Pursuit were good games, NFS High Stakes was very enjoyable, with the introduction of career mode and monetary system somehow made me play it alot and NFS Porsche Unleashed was the best NFS Game i have ever played, it was the first NFS game to have free roam too. (I Played all of these on my PS1)
I don't remember PU having free-roam, unless you count those tracks that have slightly differing pathways?

I don't remember PU having free-roam, unless you count those tracks that have slightly differing pathways?
I Knew someone will say this to me, but in PS1 Version, in evolution mode you could select cities from many countries around the world such as Germany, Scotland, Japan, France and U.S, the PS1 version is extremelly different from PC Version.

As Prenny said, in the PS1 version you could go to your garage, pick a test drive option and select the different cities to free roam. Most times they are just the normal tracks with barriers removed. There are also cops which will chase you if you hit them or go too fast :lol: Oh, and the cities change as you progress through Evolution mode.

I have to say, I'm surprised that High Stakes is in the lead for the being the best NFS game for fifth-gen consoles. Usually when it comes to this, people will choose Porsche Unleashed as the best NFS.

As for me, here are my thoughts of each game:

RNT: TNFS- Actually, I decided to buy a Panasonic 3DO just to try out this game and I have to say, even though it may not be as fast as the PS1 version, it was still a good game. The loading times were flawless and the driving experience is that smooth. Not to mention the cheesy acting by the late Brenan Baird.

NFS II- I picked up the PC SE version and it was an improvement over TNFS. More cars were added and the driving experience is improved.

NFS III- I'm so glad that the pursuit system in NFS III was improved. The PS1 and PC version are closely matched other than the graphics. Oh and this is where I fell in love with the Diablo. :drool:

NFS IV: High Stakes- Now this is where the gameplay and graphic difference started to appear. In the PC version, it was more of an expansion pack for Hot Pursuit. The PS1 version is a lot different compared to the PC version on terms of progression and features. You can tune your cars and convert them into modified cars in a Gran Turismo 1/2 fashion. Also there's a career mode for the PS1 version. Other than that the only advantage that the PC version has the ability to download new cars.

NFS Porsche- At first I didn't like the idea of only having one manufacturer in the game but I soon realized that this is more of an history lesson about Porsches and same as NFS III, this is where I found my love for Porsches.

Verdict: I'm tied between High Stakes and Porsche Unleashed.

I picked High Stakes. It took everything that made NFS 3 great (beautiful scenery, great track design, exciting gameplay) and ran away with it, while also adding a much more varied car list and introducing car customization to the series. IMO, the best game in the series's first era - alongside Hot Pursuit 2.

I have to say, I'm surprised that High Stakes is in the lead for the being the best NFS game for fifth-gen consoles. Usually when it comes to this, people will choose Porsche Unleashed as the best NFS.

I think NFS Porsche has very good reputation because of nostalgic. Dondt judge me because I said HS is better, i used to say that Porsche was the best of the series (this game made me almost by itself a Porsche fan), but about a year ago I played it again since 2000. And it felt boring. The IA is dead and slow. The history mode is very good, the intros are extremely good, the driving is fun, the music is not bad, the car list is very complete... but the AI is dead. And that makes races very boring and repetitive.

This doesnt happen with High Stakes. HS is a very, very good game per se. I played it recently too and felt like the perfect arcade racing game. The music is absolutley perfect (all the composers reach their peak in this game after 4 NFS, specially Rom Di Prisco), the driving is challenging, the graphics are gorgeous, the tracks are awesome, the menus and the HUD are beautiful (special mention to the tachometer)... and the AI is brutal. Fast, with very different caracter between every racer (bullit very agresive and nemesis very calculating) and with a very accurate amount of "worm effect" (you know, that thing that makes IA faster or slower depending on your performance) that made races very exciting without being artificial.

Hope the next NFS game takes High Stakes example.

I think NFS Porsche has very good reputation because of nostalgic. Dondt judge me because I said HS is better, i used to say that Porsche was the best of the series (this game made me almost by itself a Porsche fan), but about a year ago I played it again since 2000. And it felt boring. The IA is dead and slow. The history mode is very good, the intros are extremely good, the driving is fun, the music is not bad, the car list is very complete... but the AI is dead. And that makes races very boring and repetitive.

This doesnt happen with High Stakes. HS is a very, very good game per se. I played it recently too and felt like the perfect arcade racing game. The music is absolutley perfect (all the composers reach their peak in this game after 4 NFS, specially Rom Di Prisco), the driving is challenging, the graphics are gorgeous, the tracks are awesome, the menus and the HUD are beautiful (special mention to the tachometer)... and the AI is brutal. Fast, with very different caracter between every racer (bullit very agresive and nemesis very calculating) and with a very accurate amount of "worm effect" (you know, that thing that makes IA faster or slower depending on your performance) that made races very exciting without being artificial.

Hope the next NFS game takes High Stakes example.
Unless you're playing the PC version of Porsche Unleashed, that is true for the PS1 version. The PS1 version lacked the Moby Dick Porsche from the PC version and the whole game itself is just a modified version of High Stakes with Porsches only in the game.

Unless you're playing the PC version of Porsche Unleashed, that is true for the PS1 version. The PS1 version lacked the Moby Dick Porsche from the PC version and the whole game itself is just a modified version of High Stakes with Porsches only in the game.

Yes, Im always talking about PSX games. But im not agree at all with the second. The physics (PSX) in HS and in Porsche are completely different. Im absolutely sure about that. And all the game is also completely different from High Stakes. Maybe you are referring to PC versions, no? Because in fact PC versions are very similar.

I never played the PC versions, but I think developers took more effort on PSX games (que quality of the menus and HUD is one example).

I voted Porsche Unleashed for a few reasons.
  1. It's the only one in this list that ive played
  2. It's full if cars from my favorite manufacturer
  3. It's a blast to play
  4. It's the game that got me into racing games

Went with High Stakes as it took Hot Pursuit's formula a step further with more cars, tracks, modes, and was the first in the series to feature upgrading and a credits system.

Why? Just asking
On behalf of @JC_Dude , here is the main reasons why the PC and PS1 versions of Porsche Unleashed have a lot of differences.

1. Car list. There are some missing in the PS1 version such as the Moby Dick Porsche.
2. Graphics. Do I need to ask?
3. Physics. The PS1 version felt like it was just an upgraded physics engine from High Stakes while the PC version really felt like sim IMO.
4. Interface/UI.

On behalf of @JC_Dude , here is the main reasons why the PC and PS1 versions of Porsche Unleashed have a lot of differences.

1. Car list. There are some missing in the PS1 version such as the Moby Dick Porsche.
2. Graphics. Do I need to ask?
3. Physics. The PS1 version felt like it was just an upgraded physics engine from High Stakes while the PC version really felt like sim IMO.
4. Interface/UI.

1. Cant find complete list of both versions. I miss also the 962.
2. Agree. PC version is better. But there are some things that are awful, like the suspension height. In high stakes (in Porsche there isnt this problem) the cars look like SUVs.
3. Im not agree at all. PSX talking, physics in High Stakes and Porsche were like day and night, even when they are arcades. Porsche is even more arcade than High Stakes. In HS with high power cars, was very easy to spin and in Porsche was almost impossible (even with monsters like 959 or 917). Also, in Porsche understeer is unexisting.

Collision physiscs are also very diferent. In Porsche, if you crash a wall, you partially cross it and lose speed like walls were made of snow. HS collisions are much more realistic.

4. Yes, they are different. But JC_Dude was saying PC version is better. Not agree at all. I think PSX version is better by far. PC version is like developers put the map, the tachometer and so on in the screen without any care.

Last edited:
1. Cant find complete list of both versions. I miss also the 962.
2. Agree. PC version is better. But there are some things that are awful, like the suspension height. In high stakes (in Porsche there isnt this problem) the cars look like SUVs.
3. Im not agree at all. PSX talking, physics in High Stakes and Porsche were like day and night, even when they are arcades. Porsche is even more arcade than High Stakes. In HS with high power cars, was very easy to spin and in Porsche was almost impossible (even with monsters like 595 or 917). Also, in Porsche understeer is unexisting.

Collision physiscs are also very diferent. In Porsche, if you crash a wall, you partially cross it and lose speed like walls were made of snow. HS collisions are much more realistic.

4. Yes, they are different. But JC_Dude was saying PC version is better. Not agree at all. I think PSX version is better by far. PC version is like developers put the map, the tachometer and so on in the screen without any care.

In my opinion the PC version is much better. The cars handle great, much more of a simulation, and the game looks fantastic for a 2000 title.

In my opinion the PC version is much better. The cars handle great, much more of a simulation, and the game looks fantastic for a 2000 title.

No, in point 4 I wasnt saying that PSX game was better. I havent played PC version yet (but I will). I was saying HUD and Interface in PSX was better.

Back