Game speed difference between US and Japanese/Euro market

• Thread starter Izanagi
  • 3 comments
Hey everyone! I've got a bone to pick with SCEA about them tweaking with the GT series by making the game speed faster and more "arcady" under the supposition that it would appeal more to US buyers. As a purist when it comes to anything automotive, real life or in-game, I find this idea appalling. The only non-US version of GT I've ever played was GT3 in Germany some 8 years back so I don't remember the minor differences in game speed between that and my USDM version, nor would I since I wasn't so into the series as I am now. Anyway, to cut down on wasted space, I would like to ask some of you, especially those in Japan and the US (or who have played both versions, to make it simple) about your opinions on this issue and also some descriptions of how the gameplay differs between the two versions. After watching the interview with Imasaki-san, I feel like shooting Sony for their constant meddling with Polyphony's masterpieces.

I think they only did that for the 1st GT game. I dont think GT5 will differ since even Japanese version HAS arcade physics as well as SIM physics.. so US Version should be the same , except more US cars like he stated.

Wasnt there always some kind of issue in regards to this given the PAL/NTSC native of things as well? Hopefully with the advent of HiDef and most things being done in PAL60, we wont have those problems when it comes to playing replays or compareing times across different regions any more.

Not sure if this would also factor into your points but i thought it might have had something to do with it.

As for to "appeal more to US buyers" (quote) - or to be more more precise - appeal more to buyers who like to take their racing less seriousely - there are 2 driving modes in GT series from GT5: prologue onwards: Normal and Professional.

So, every type of driver will get what he looks for. Also, notice that HD-era will finaly neutralise 50-60Hz issues, so there will be no more framerate-to-time differencies.

Back