Games of the Year

• Thread starter LoudMusic
  • 8 comments
United States
Everywhere
GameSpot Games of the Year

In the Editor's Choice section - on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the best, there were three 9.6 games.

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
NFL 2k3 (for PlayStation 2 - XBox and GC got 9.1)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (for XBox - PS2 got 9.0 and GC got 9.5)
EDIT: Just noticed Metroid Prime for GameCube scored a 9.7 (WOW!!)

Though they quoted themselves as saying
"All other things being equal, we preferred to honor those games that were released exclusively for a particular platform."
So two of the top three are tri-platform games ... way to go guys.

Additional interesting statistics from the Editor's choice pages are the average rating for games on each platform.

Computer - 9.144
XBox - 9.2333
Playstation 2 - 9.2444
GameBoy Advance - 9.28
GameCube - 9.28

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best Of:
Best Music - Mafia (never heard of it)
Best Sound - Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (expansion for MOH? Never played the original ...)
Best Story - Freedom Force (appears to be comic book heros ... never heard of it)
Best Graphics (Technical) - Unreal Tournament 2003 (w00t! ... never played it either)
Best Graphics (Artistic) - Syberia (do I live in a hole? never heard of this either)
Best Expansion Pack - Dark Age of Camelot: Shrouded Isles (Dark Age ... yeah heard of that. It was good enough to be expanded?)
Best Budget Game - Serious Sam: The Second Encounter (Ha ha, Serious Sam, laughs around)
Must Improved Sequel - Hitman 2: Silent Assassin (This game I want, very very much)
Biggest Surprise - Battlefield 1942 (I should get this? Ok it's on the list.)
Best Game No One Played - MoonBase Commander (If no one ever played it, how do you know it's good?)
Best Single-Player Action - No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way (Hate the name, but the screenshots look good. Putting it on the list)
Best Multiplayer Action - Battlefield 1942 (back again ... star next to its name)
Best Adventure - Syberia (ok it's here twice now ... still not on the list)
Best Driving - Rally Trophy (never heard of it. It beat F1 2002 and Rallysport Challenge though ... must be good)
Best Role-Playing Game - Neverwinter Nights (Better than EverCrack? ... I'm not an RPG guy. Thanks though)
Best Sci-Fi Simulation - Star Trek: Bridge Commander (That's a shock! Most people don't like the Trek stuff ... and the games almost always blow goats)
Best Simulation - Flanker 2.5 (Eh ... wha'zat?)
Best Sports - Madden NFL 2003 (Sports games on the computer ... how about you go outside and run around?)
Best Single Player Strategy - Medieval: Total War (Yet again, never heard of it)
Best Multiplayer Strategy - Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (As much hype as there was for this game, it should have won more awards)
Game of the Year on PC - Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (oops, spoke too soon (: )
Most Disappointing Game - Civilization III: Play The World (Yeah, Civ has worn out its welcome)
Worste Game - Demonworld: Dark Armies (Ha ha, gotta love that!)

I kept looking for games like Halo, GranTurismo, Final Fantasy ... oh wait, those are all from last year when game publishers actually had something GOOD to produce. What games from this year actually stand out in your mind as "epic games" ?? Not much of anything.

Mafia - I missed this game, but I hear it was similar to GTA3. Either way it was supposed to be one of the best games this year.
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - This was the original, Spearhead was the expansion. Both were excellent. Kind of like playing through the movie "Saving private Ryan.
Freedom Force - Great Comic Spoof, sometimes tough to control. Enjoyable because it had excellent humor about itself and comics in general.
Unreal Tournament 2003 - Over Rated, but it looks great.
Syberia - Highly rated game, saw it on the shelves, never thought about it because it's an adventure type game.
Serious Sam: The Second Encounter Excellent game, should be top 5 even if it wasn't a budget title. Multiplayer Coop just like Halo.
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin - Rented it, liked it, didn't want to buy it.
Battlefield 1942 Downloaded it, loved it, bought it, played it till my fingers bled. I think it was the summer of '49...
No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way - Great game, very stylish.
Rally Trophy - Great game with excellent graphics, cars from the 60's. Never grabbed me enough to buy though.
Neverwinter Nights - One of my all time favorite PC RPG's ever. The quest lasts 40 hours+ and has the easiest to use mod making system which has allowed for people to recreate mods for it recreating Ultima, Final Fantasy and a host of other things. One of the best games in years...
Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos - Good, but it didn't get me addicted like Starcraft. It was good enough to plunk down the dough for though (even after downloading)

I too was dissapointed with the overall lack of big name games that last year had. Part of the problem being that many big name titles (especially on the Xbox) turned out to be lackluster (SegaGT, Blinx, Wreckless etc etc...)
Nintendo actually pulled my gaming year out with Metroid Prime, which is probably the best single player game since Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time. (along with Mario, Animal Crossing and Starfox which were good games as well, but not quite in that league.)
Last year was big because of the launch of the GC and Xbox (and Sony released heavy hitters to compete.) and this year saw less because all the big names were either out, or new ones had just gone into development. Next Year Promises much bigger things with The Getaway (US hasn't had it yet), Xenosaga, FFX-2, Halo 2, Devil May Cry 2, Resident evil 4, F-Zero, FF: Crystal Chronicles, and the new Zelda.

You have probably more video game experience than anyone I've ever known.

I've actually owned Warcraft 3 since mid summer, but I haven't even taken it out of the box. I'm just not fired up to play it right now. ****, I'm not fired up to do much of anything right now - HA HA! (: Maybe I'll get around to it later.

I haven't actually played ANY of the games that won their awards. And there are only a few that I've seen, either in stores or being played. When GeForce4s get a little cheaper I might just buy a 4600 and start building my game collection back up. But I guess lately video games really aren't that big a deal to me. Work and friends consume nearly all my time. And I only have a few friends I play video games with. Maybe now that it's winter time we'll be inside more and can heavy at the console games together.

Originally posted by LoudMusic
You have probably more video game experience than anyone I've ever known.

I suppose it's a factor of my Job. I work from 1am to 9:30am and have the days free. My best friend is also doesn't really work, so we tend to play a good deal of games (and watch movies hence my DVD collection.)
In all honesty, I only finish about 5 games a year because I lose interest so fast. Too much to do, too little time I guess. ;)

Civ 3 kicks ass! Not sure if it's worth what they're charging for it at the stores, but it's a great game! I've been playing it for a while now, thinking of downloading err I mean 'purchasing' the expansion sometime when the 'price goes down...'

Back