Games that made you feel sick.

Philippines
Kalayaan Islands
Ok I think I had enough. I've done tons of things to make Fallout 4 playable to me. Fix the FOV, fix the color, the lighting, the FPS, play farther away from the monitor, disable Chromatic Aberration, use the vanilla settings/visuals, lower the brightness of the monitor etc. And its still unplayable to me. I feel sick just minutes of playing the game. I can play other games immediately after feeling sick of Fallout 4 and can feel normal again. And I can play hours of COD, Battlefield and other games without feeling nauseous. So I think there's really something wrong with the game. Or is it me? The first time I felt sick in a game was with Duke Nukem: Meltdown on PS1. It has the same visuals/game style as Doom but I can play the latter for hours also. Getting sick from games is a very weird thing. I think our eyes and brain are very sensitive, it can pick up almost invisible things on games and makes us feel sick. Here are the other games that made me feel :ill:

1. Fallout 3 -I think its the Green and Yellow coloring of the game.
2. Half Life 2 -I changed the FOV but I think its the design of the world.
3. Hotline Miami 2 -The color is just....I can't even....
4. Far Cry 3 -I don't know but its just for a while.
5. Mirrors Edge (indoors) -Too bright. Too contrasting.
6. Silent Hill 2 -Weird angles
7. SOMA -Chromatic Aberration.
8. Payday 2 -Chromatic Aberration.
9. Dying Light -Chromatic Aberration and shadows. The game looks like its shining. It hurts my eyes really bad.
10. Hatred -Maybe I'm just not used to play in 2.5D and its very dark.
11. Wolfenstein The Old Blood -The moment I started the game, I already know.

I can say most of the time its the color of the visuals of the game that makes me sick. Not the First Person View or motion sickness. Maybe my eyes are just too sensitive to colors and bright things. There are more but I forgot them. I really want to play Fallout 4 but I think that's it... :(

1. Fallout 3 -I think its the Green and Yellow coloring of the game.
2. Half Life 2 -I changed the FOV but I think its the design of the world.
3. Hotline Miami 2 -The color is just....I can't even....
4. Far Cry 3 -I don't know but its just for a while.
5. Mirrors Edge (indoors) -Too bright. Too contrasting.
6. Silent Hill 2 -Weird angles
7. SOMA -Chromatic Aberration.
8. Payday 2 -Chromatic Aberration.
9. Dying Light -Chromatic Aberration and shadows. The game looks like its shining. It hurts my eyes really bad.
10. Hatred -Maybe I'm just not used to play in 2.5D and its very dark.
11. Wolfenstein The Old Blood -The moment I started the game, I already know.

So I think there's really something wrong with the game. Or is it me?
I think you might have answered your own question with that one. Maybe try a different tv or monitor? Sit further away or closer? Play with lights on or off or different lighting? Or go to a doctor and get yourself checked out for Vertigo or something similar involving eyes. You might even need glasses.

I don't think I have played any games that made me sick unless there is a scene with a lot of spinning. Roller coaster games with spinning rides I avoid. First time I climbed the Agency Tower in Crackdown I did have a little bit of Vertigo but it was more in fear of falling to my death after all the hard work to get up there. :lol:

Last edited:
I'd definitely go and see the doctor and/or optician. The Doom/Duke Nukem situation is a well known vertigo inducer. Other games can induce motion sickness, Dying Light used to be one of those before it launched.

As you mention colours hurting your eyes, then I say get them checked as there could be something going on in your head that's best not ignored.

@CAMAROBOY69 @MeanElf I already went to a doctor because of SOMA. But that's extreme compared to Fallout 4. Whenever I play SOMA I will have this headaches that like someone hit me with a bat. The extreme chroma in that game causes that. But thankfully all tests all ok. I've tried all except changing monitor. I only got one but I think its one of the better monitors out in the market. I only use SRGB and have the brightness at 41 (standard for SRGB) or 31 at the lowest. And I already upgraded my glasses. As of the moment only Fallout 4 makes me feel :ill:

Last edited:
@CAMAROBOY69 @MeanElf I already went to a doctor because of SOMA. But that's extreme compared to Fallout 4. Whenever I play SOMA I will have this headaches that like someone hit me with a bat. The extreme chroma in that game causes that. But thankfully all tests all ok. I've tried all except changing monitor. I only got one but I think its one of the better monitors out in the market. I only use SRGB and have the brightness at 41 (standard for SRGB) or 31 at the lowest. And I already upgraded my glasses. As of the moment only Fallout 4 makes me feel :ill:
How close do you sit to your monitor? Maybe try sitting back further or closer. If you are having that many problems, something needs to change to resolve the situation. What about backlighting, or lighting in your house. Do you play with lights on or off? I cant play games with lights off or it will give me a headache for sure.

@CAMAROBOY69 I play with lights on or off but with ambient lighting. Normally I'm 3 ft. away from a 23in monitor. I tried playing Fallout 4 up to 5 ft. away its still makes me sick. My eyes hurt really bad just looking at it, vanilla visuals or with visual enhancers. There's nothing wrong about the visuals aside from they used an old game engine. There's really something in the game I can't explain. Because I can play COD and other games even at 2 ft. away and never feel sick.

Not only me....
https://www.reddit.com/r/fo4/comments/3s7kyq/motion_sickness_warning_fallout_4_uses_heavy/

There are a lot more. Most of them are saying the FOV or motion sickness. But me, I just look at it, not moving and I....:ill::ill::ill::ill::ill::ill::ill::ill:

Last edited:
I remember reading a while ago that you can make a mesh to put over your monitor that stops motion sickness by preventing your brain from being tricked into thinking it looked like you were moving but without the sensation of being moved (which is what causes motion sickness, or so I've read - the disparity between what you see and what you feel makes your brain think a poison is messing up your senses and makes you want to throw up said poisons), maybe try that?

Narrow FOVs, low or unstable frame rates and bright screens with no ambient light give me the mother of all headaches, but these are common complaints. The first two were never a problem when I was a console gamer - I'd been playing at or below 30FPS my whole life so I was accustomed to it and when you sit further back the FOV should be narrower anyway - but PC gaming has genuinely ruined console gaming for me now. If I do play console games in short bursts for maybe a week I do get used to it, but going from a long stint of PC gaming to trying to play on a console again for more than an hour almost immediately is difficult... But that's fine because that just doesn't happen.

Here are some screens. I have my monitor on SRGB at 31 brightness so its not saturated or very bright. I don't have to move or anything. I feel sick just by looking at it. My eyes feels like they're flickering but i can immediately play other games and feel fine again. I turned off depth of field, motion blur, bokeh, godrays and have the lighting on ultra.

Vanilla.
11.jpg

With Reshade.
11a.jpg

Vanilla.
22a.jpg

With Reshade.
22.jpg

Vanilla or with visual enhancer, any weather, indoors or outdoors, it doesn't matter. My eyes hurt just looking at them. I've tried it all even playing the game untouched by mods. I still remember the intro of the game. The one you're looking at the mirror...:ill: And I am very used to playing at max sensitivity on shooters. But this? I didn't even have to move...:ill:

Last edited:
Back