Games you underestimated?

Splinter Cell series. I thought I wouldn't like it, then I played one and it became one of my favorite game series.

Snap. Tried the first game one day out of boredom, it introduced me to true stealth & ended up becoming one of my favourite games of all time. Playing through it again now actually.

It's hard to say exactly why it's so enjoyable to play, but I'm guessing it has to do with the fact there really is no stress involved when playing it. There's no clock to beat, no boss battles or complex puzzles and while that may sound boring from a gaming standpoint, it has its merits when everything outside of gaming just seems to pile stress on you.
Although I do not play that game, I can understand that. Sometimes it's nice just to play something easy again after having so many challenging games.

Things like that are why I like NFS Undercover on the PS2, I like how easy it is because it's a nice change from all the other NFS games they had done prior and it's like a nice stroll through the park.
The first black ops campaign was my favorite out of the entire cod series. Great game.
Black Ops is actually my favorite game for zombies out of all the others. I got to thinking, I am sure the campaign is good, but it's just not for me. I never really cared for anything outside of zombies in COD for some reason and I don't know why, it just never interested me.

Last edited:
Test Drive Off-Road 2.
So I grew up playing Test Drive 5 a lot and was quite a fan of the game as a kid. That said, I noticed inside the case, it showed the cover of Test Drive Off-Road 2, which depicted a yellow Hummer driving through a river and kicking up water. Okay, not only did I love Hummers as a kid, but the simple idea of going offroad, being able to drive through a flowing river was something that fascinated me back then (heck, it still does :dopey:) and the fact it was Test Drive was another. At a young age, I really wanted the game and a lot of wild fantasies as to what it would be like and thought it would be fantastic, but I didn't have an easy way to get it for a long time and never saw it anywhere.

Fast forward to 2015, many years later, I finally found it in a game store for like $2 and some change. While I was happy to find it, I didn't get my hopes up too high because I had gotten some games I wanted as a kid, namely 007 Racing and Twisted Metal 2, and ended up not caring too much for them. I didn't necessarily think it was going to be bad, it's just I had got older and I deemed a lot of what I had expected it to be as a kid as unrealistic expectations based games I had gotten in the past and didn't think it would be as good as I originally anticipated.

I was so wrong. The game was every bit as good I had originally anticipated as a kid, perhaps even better and I thoroughly enjoyed playing it. Theirs a lot I could say, but the vehicle selection was interesting and had ones I had never heard of. The tracks were a total blast to drive on, especially since driving through water was required on some of them. The AI was not as absurdly overpowered as Test Drive 5 and actually felt beatable, unlike the others I played. So, not only did it live up to my childhood expectations, but it exceeded them! So much so, it completely overtook Test Drive 5 as my favorite Test Drive game even with nostalgia included. It's easily the 2nd best PS1 game I have ever bought and is somewhere in my top 5 list of games I bought in the 2010s. Years later, I still find myself wanting to play it at random times rather often and it's become a staple of my PS1 library now.

Last edited:
A Plague Tale: innocence.

"Oh here is another mediocre free ps plus game I've never heard of, suppose I'll give it a quick go... " were my first thoughts then I started playing it and wow, my game of the year for 2021 (I know it was released before).

Loved the setting, the story and the gameplay mechanics. The sequel is now one of my most anticipated games.

Back