Gaming Seats/Wheel-set up

• Thread starter torque99
  • 21 comments
England
England
I am hopefully getting a thrustmaster t300 but recently seen Fanatic are back on the scene so will get one or the other very soon. But I have limited space and no desk this time to fix to or a large metal set up so after looking I will probably get one of these seats that fold up with the wheel to tuck away after use..Some one suggested this to me:
http://www.playseat.com/shop/eu/uk/playseat-challenge-seats/playseat-challenge-racing-seat.html

Does anyone have one of these? or any suggestions to play the wheel on or what do you use if you need to use the main TV room without setting up another room for occasional use of the wheel these days.Not sure where to post this as every thread moves with very fast pace on here and I can't keep up with them all :lol:👍

Got one, absolutely love it! The screw holes for the pedals on my T500 didn't fit quite well so I had to improvise a little bit, but nothing difficult

image.jpg

You should definitely get one! Easy to set up and wheel is great but needing to change pedals soon as the brake progression is not so good.

View attachment 361100
You should definitely get one! Easy to set up and wheel is great but needing to change pedals soon as the brake progression is not so good.
Thanks for the pic.. :) I haven't got room for that (although looks a good strong set up) I might have to go with the folding chair as I can't leave it set up all the time:tup:

Thanks for the pic.. :) I haven't got room for that (although looks a good strong set up) I might have to go with the folding chair as I can't leave it set up all the time:tup:
No problem, happy to help :) I suggest a wheelstand pro if you have limited space. It is much more space efficient.

This is my Playseat Challenge with a T300 GTE attached, ready to go tonight (or in the morning!):
35jct8k.jpg

and opened up and ready to go:
15xo2fs.jpg

The orange strap when it is folded does not come with the chair. I bought it for £1 it makes things easier to put away as I know how much space the chair will take up. It will fold down a lot smaller, but this fits in the place I have to store it.

I love my playseat challenge, it is rock steady when I am sat on it. I cannot recommend it more if you have limited space or can only set it up when everyone is out or in bed! if this one breaks I will buy a new one. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Very happy with my playseat challenge, my only hesitation with it was the lack of gearstick placement but i solved that myself :) got the t3pa pedals last day and no problem "hardmounting" those either

Attachments

• IMG_20141108_110934.jpg
    IMG_20141108_110934.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 245
Thanks for all your advice and pics guys- I have just ordered a Thrustmaster T300RS which should be coming this week :) Just sourcing a chair or stand and will probably go with the challenge chair this week too rather than a stand as it is all in one and I won't have to keep getting chairs and tables moved. Looking forward to the wheel haven't had one since the xbox days 👍 :))

The t300 and playseat challenge will enhance your driving pleasure no end, it's sturdy, and comfy enough to have a nap in after a hard race.

Thanks for all your advice and pics guys- I have just ordered a Thrustmaster T300RS which should be coming this week :) Just sourcing a chair or stand and will probably go with the challenge chair this week too rather than a stand as it is all in one and I won't have to keep getting chairs and tables moved. Looking forward to the wheel haven't had one since the xbox days 👍 :))
Congrats on the purchase. You will love it! :)

Well all arrived and all I can say is OMG:drool:, I am very pleased with the quality of both. The Challenge fold up seat was very easy to put together and although it folds is very robust, good seat material and comfortable. Tried out for a few hours now. Although once in I forgot the remote control and then the headphone adaptor and then the phone went which I couldn't reach!!... so getting in & out quick might need some practice with all the wires everywhere- I can see a wheel/chair accident coming up after a few beers :lol:

The T300RS wheel I spent a while trying to use and then read you have to switch on with DS4 then log in with wheel which wasn't too clear..Another 2 hours messing with settings on the FFB and think I have now found my perfect set up and had a 10 lap race with GT3 cars and another OMG :bowdown:! what a difference to using a controller.

Anyone in 2 minds whether to get a Wheel or not all I can say is Buy one or save up. It was like being there, the immersion and concentration needed lol I had to have a break from wrestling the wheel and that is only on 70%!..

Perfect and 10/10 from me..Thanks guys for the recommendations after a while of deciding between wheels and set ups and even the pit guy comes through the speakers now although he always talks at the wrong time just when a corner is coming up!..👍:gtpflag:

p.s The fan ran on the wheel for a while when playing and even when I put the PS4 in rest mode it was still going and I was only on an hour or two..Do you have to leave plugged in for a bit after use to let the fan run?

t300rs&challengeseat.jpg

Well all arrived and all I can say is OMG:drool:, I am very pleased with the quality of both. The Challenge fold up seat was very easy to put together and although it folds is very robust, good seat material and comfortable. Tried out for a few hours now. Although once in I forgot the remote control and then the headphone adaptor and then the phone went which I couldn't reach!!... so getting in & out quick might need some practice with all the wires everywhere- I can see a wheel/chair accident coming up after a few beers :lol:

The T300RS wheel I spent a while trying to use and then read you have to switch on with DS4 then log in with wheel which wasn't too clear..Another 2 hours messing with settings on the FFB and think I have now found my perfect set up and had a 10 lap race with GT3 cars and another OMG :bowdown:! what a difference to using a controller.

Anyone in 2 minds whether to get a Wheel or not all I can say is Buy one or save up. It was like being there, the immersion and concentration needed lol I had to have a break from wrestling the wheel and that is only on 70%!..

Perfect and 10/10 from me..Thanks guys for the recommendations after a while of deciding between wheels and set ups and even the pit guy comes through the speakers now although he always talks at the wrong time just when a corner is coming up!..👍:gtpflag:

p.s The fan ran on the wheel for a while when playing and even when I put the PS4 in rest mode it was still going and I was only on an hour or two..Do you have to leave plugged in for a bit after use to let the fan run?

View attachment 365767
Knew you love it! ;)

and opened up and ready to go:

This may seem like a silly question but... what size TV are you using, and how tall is the TV unit? Do you find it is a good height for viewing when racing in your Playseat Challenge? I am thinking of also buying one, but was slightly concerned about how high up the TV would have to be to avoid it being blocked by the wheel and causing neck strain.

Very happy with my playseat challenge, my only hesitation with it was the lack of gearstick placement but i solved that myself :) got the t3pa pedals last day and no problem "hardmounting" those either

I am interested in doing something similar; would you be able to post more detailed photos/instructions on how you managed to mount your shifter to the seat?

Thanks.

I absolutely love my Playseat Challenge! I even modded it to mount my TH8A shifter.

I will say that it's not as easy to move around with the T3PA-Pro pedals, though. I basically disconnect them from the wheel and disconnect that section from the seat. I'm trying to figure out a system to allow me to hide the wires but still disconnect things easily.

Playseat%2BChallenge.jpg

I absolutely love my Playseat Challenge! I even modded it to mount my TH8A shifter.

I will say that it's not as easy to move around with the T3PA-Pro pedals, though. I basically disconnect them from the wheel and disconnect that section from the seat. I'm trying to figure out a system to allow me to hide the wires but still disconnect things easily.

Further to my questions above, would you be able to share details/instructions on how you managed to mount the shifter to the Playseat Challenge?

Thanks.

This may seem like a silly question but... what size TV are you using, and how tall is the TV unit? Do you find it is a good height for viewing when racing in your Playseat Challenge? I am thinking of also buying one, but was slightly concerned about how high up the TV would have to be to avoid it being blocked by the wheel and causing neck strain.

I am interested in doing something similar; would you be able to post more detailed photos/instructions on how you managed to mount your shifter to the seat?

Thanks.

The bottom of my TV is about 2 feet (60cm) abouve the floor. The Playseat Challenge when it is unfolded has the from of the pedal mount about 8 Inches (20cm) from the display. My eyes (at a rough guess) are 4ft 6inches (137cm) from the screen. I will check exactly tomorrow when I put the Playseat up again.

Remember you can move your seat withing PCars forward/back/up/down. I have a great position :)

Hope this helps.

Further to my questions above, would you be able to share details/instructions on how you managed to mount the shifter to the Playseat Challenge?

Thanks.
I drilled 2 holes through the frame on my seat, and using 2 metal plates (one top and one bottom), bolted them down.
Shifter1.jpg

On the other side, I added in 2 1-inch metal spacers and bolted those down as well.
Shifter2.jpg

I mounted mine in-between the seat fabric and the plastic tab that locks down the swivel that the wheel is mounted to. I've seen other people mount it on the other side, but I felt that put the shifter too far away. The location I have it feels much more natural.

My next step is to try and hard mount it, but I think I need to find metal plates that are slightly longer to clear the bolts/nuts I used. Then I'll spray the mount black so it doesn't stand out so much. It works incredibly well, cost me less than $10, and took a total of 10 minutes.

The bottom of my TV is about 2 feet (60cm) abouve the floor. The Playseat Challenge when it is unfolded has the from of the pedal mount about 8 Inches (20cm) from the display. My eyes (at a rough guess) are 4ft 6inches (137cm) from the screen. I will check exactly tomorrow when I put the Playseat up again.

Remember you can move your seat withing PCars forward/back/up/down. I have a great position :)

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your reply. I think the TV unit I currently have is around 35cm tall, so it's looking like it might be necessary to get something a bit taller such that I can actually see over the top of the wheel.

I drilled 2 holes through the frame on my seat, and using 2 metal plates (one top and one bottom), bolted them down.

On the other side, I added in 2 1-inch metal spacers and bolted those down as well.

I mounted mine in-between the seat fabric and the plastic tab that locks down the swivel that the wheel is mounted to. I've seen other people mount it on the other side, but I felt that put the shifter too far away. The location I have it feels much more natural.

My next step is to try and hard mount it, but I think I need to find metal plates that are slightly longer to clear the bolts/nuts I used. Then I'll spray the mount black so it doesn't stand out so much. It works incredibly well, cost me less than $10, and took a total of 10 minutes.

Ahh, thank you! That looks a lot easier than I was expecting. I notice you have attached your shifter to the right side of the seat, do you think it would be possible to do the same thing on the left side?

Ahh, thank you! That looks a lot easier than I was expecting. I notice you have attached your shifter to the right side of the seat, do you think it would be possible to do the same thing on the left side?
Yes, it should be possible!

Latest Posts

Back