I've always wondered why the "unused" cars keep shuffling around like a deck of cards in the back of the garage line-up. So now I'll do some research into this meaningless matter...
I have 284 cars at the moment, and it's day 1543 in NTSC-land. I have presently "driven" 151 of them, which leaves 133 "unused". Since I'm not going to list every unused car, since it would take too long, I'm just going to focus on the last 4 of the unused pile of cars.
The game defaults to a Right-Hand Sort by [^ Driven]. Sort of useless, but there's no other way to keep the driven cars in a static format. Of course, the question here is that the unused cars keep changing positions, and I'm going to figure out why. Presently, these are the last four unused cars in my garage:
Subaru Impreza '99 Sti Sedan (GC) - yellow - 290ps - 6.2 miles
Honda S2000 Type V '01 - red - 247ps - 6.2 miles
Toyota Sprinter Trueno GT-Apex (AE86) '83 - red/black - 129ps - 6.2 miles
Honda Civic SiR-II (EG) '95 - silver - 169ps - 6.2 miles
Well, it's certianly not based on make, alphabetical order, color, power, weight, or acquired date. It would seem that the cars a listed in order of mileage, which almost ended this research question early; but this would not turn out to be the case. And the "sort by nationality" criteria can't quite be proven yet, but they're all from Japan.
The first thing I did was view the yellow Impreza. I didn't get "in" the car, but exited back to the garage. Now the Impreza's shifted down one place to the 3rd to last position, it's "spot" was now taken up by another unused car ('98 Celica GT-Four, black, 6.2 miles). The penultimate car is now the S2000, and the last car is the same Trueno AE86.
So where's that silver Civic? I didn't move it! The car changed over four pages back, behind a red Fiat 500F '65 and a green Camaro LM. That "page" had a mix of cars from used cars with high mileage, a few 6.2 mile cars, and some prize cars. (There weren't any "bought-new" cars here, since I usually hop right in a newly bought car.) The pages before and after it were in the same order, ad far as I could tell, without much rhyme or reason for their order, save for the fact they were all unused cars.
Back to our "gang of four" cars at the tail-end, let's see what happens when we check out (but not "drive") the Impreza once more. No change this time to the order of the last four cars. I go back one page, to see a Triumph Spitfire '74 (special color) is last on the page.
I get into the Trueno, just to see what happens to the by [^ Driven] order in the back. Naturally, the bottom cars shifted down the order, and the Triumph has now joined the Celica, Impreza, and S2000. So we can now rule out that the order is not decided by nationality (the Triumph is British) or by mileage (the Triumph has 0.0 miles).
I change to [v Driven], to see that the last four (from the top) are now:
Mazda AZ-1 '92 - red - lots of miles
Lancia Delta HF '91 - blue - lots of miles
Renault Avantime '02 - yellow - 0.0 miles
TVR Speed Six '97 - orange - lots of miles
Changing back to [^ Driven] shows the previous final four cars, with no changes. Changing back once more to [v Driven] changes the order again for the top five unused cars:
Honda Accord Euro-R '00 - grayish blue - lots of miles (first listed unused car)
Mazda AZ-1 '92 - red - lots of miles
Lancia Delta HF '91 - blue - lots of miles
Renault Avantime '02 - yellow - 0.0 miles
TVR Speed Six '97 - orange - lots of miles
So where are the original gang of four? The Triumph can be found at the end of page 9 in the 10th spot, then the Celica in 9th, Impreza 8th, S2000 7th, the mysterious return of the silver '95 Civic in 6th, and the Camaro LM we saw earlier just above that in 5th on same page. But when we pressed the [^ Driven] button again, the last four were the same as just before (Triumph, Celica, Impreza, S2000).
Pressing [^ Acquired Date] shuffled the cars like a deck of cards; the "gang of four" were moved in different places. The order at the bottom was different: the same silver '95 Civic (it moves in mysterious ways), a '69 Isuzu Bellet (gold), '99 Mitsubishi GPX (blue), and a '63 Skyline (metallic tan).
So I viewed the last car ('63 Skyline), but didn't get in it. What do you know? The order reverted back to the original "gang" with the Triumph, Celica, Impreza, and S2000 making up the back once more!
Now I pressed [^ Manufacturer] and then [^ Driven], whcih changed the order completely with the four cars from before getting scattered around in no discernable order. The second group I witnessed were also shuffled.
Pressing various combinations of ordering cars by other criteria showed that when you sort and revert the order of unused cars back and forth, it seems that "clusters" of the cars tend to stay together, retaining whatever previous order you put them, with a few cars completely upsetting the order, and then the previous order reverts.
My guess is that Polyphony intentionally created a shuffling system of the unused cars, so that you don't forget about them. Either that, or the way the PS2 reads the car information form the disk changes things.
If anyone has a clue, backed up with a little evidence...