• 10 comments

VBR

Meme Dissident in Exile...
Premium
England
Yorkshire
ScapeGoat4U
WhippingBoy
I had an idea a while ago about how PD could fix it so that we could have an unlimited amount of cars in our garages, without it slowing down our online experience. After all, that's why PD limited the garage to 500 cars in the first place, & introduced the awful Stockyard.

Here's the idea;

instead of loading the entire garage & then filtering it to find a car, how about choosing what cars to load with the filter options first? Ironically, this is what PD have just given us with the new Car Search function for the dealerships! It doesn't load the entire dealership & then sort it, it only loads the cars you have chosen beforehand with the filter.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
The problem is, that even when you show only a filtered selection, the filter has to run over the whole garage, however big it may be. It performs very well now with 500 cars, so I'm happy they changed it.

It's a good idea, but honestly what makes me mad the most is the Favorite limit. It's less annoying compared to GT5 since the menus load faster but I think it's an unnecessary hassle to go back to your garage to unfave a car and add the one you're looking for; if doing an Arcade race, for course.

The problem is, that even when you show only a filtered selection, the filter has to run over the whole garage, however big it may be.

Google doesn't have to search through the entire internet everytime you type something in, does it? Likewise, I'm sure they can find another way of speeding up searching through a few hundered or thousand cars. And like I said in the OP, they're doing this already with the Car Search for the Dealership.

VBR
Google doesn't have to search through the entire internet everytime you type something in, does it? Likewise, I'm sure they can find another way of speeding up searching through a few hundered or thousand cars. And like I said in the OP, they're doing this already with the Car Search for the Dealership.

…where it takes you a lot more time to set the parameters for your search than opening time would be acceptable in the garage where it should be pretty much instant.

VBR
Google doesn't have to search through the entire internet everytime you type something in, does it?

Technically speaking... Yes, it has. I don't know how, exactly, Google's search algorithms work - and I'd be inclined to guess nobody really does. But a search algorithm will generally look through all the data present in the search field.

It doesn't have to load all of the pages, tho, as it just provides a URL to relevant pages. That's the biggest difference between an internet search engine and a search engine for a videogame with real-time rendered graphics.

I don't think you guys are getting the point, I'll highlight it for you; PD have already done what I'm suggesting with the new Car Search. All they need to do is apply that to the online garage & lift the 500 car restriction.

It's impossible to sort through all the cars some of us own for one suitable for a 400PP online race for instance, as many of them will be in the Stockyard. If they gave us the same search options we now have in the Dealerships, we could search through all our cars while in an online lobby, not just the limited number in the Garage.

Last edited:
The other solution is give us 3 500 car garages.
Have one as the default loaded at game start, or better still select the one you want loaded when the game initially starts.
Switch garages in game using L1 R1 or square circle triangle.
Transfer cars between them using the now defunct stockyard.
No other restrictions let you decide what goes where.
Examples
Premium, Standard, Favourites garages
Race & Track, Road, Tuned garages
Split by PP or whatever else tickles your fancy.
Your choice how you sort them.

Now just load the garage you want to use that session with all cars in it available for online & arcade.

If you want to use something different just accept you have to wait a moment while the new garage loads.

Seriously how hard can it be?

Still cant select from all your cars like you want VBR but far quicker than the stockyard & once you have sorted the garages how you like no tedious time spent transferring cars & wondering where they got to.

Spend a bit of time sorting them & you could have all similar cars lined up how you want them as a bonus.
Old muscles, lightweights, your take on supercars, GT500, GT3, Group C, Rally etc.

Fancy playing in an old muscle, there they all are together.
What shall we take for a spin today.

@Wide Boy - Great idea! PD seem to struggle with the way they approach problem solving, & tend to go for the more convoluted options. I guess that's the price of their genius, that they can't always think in terms of simple, elegant, & optimal solutions.

Last edited:
The other solution is give us 3 500 car garages.
Have one as the default loaded at game start, or better still select the one you want loaded when the game initially starts.
Switch garages in game using L1 R1 or square circle triangle.
Transfer cars between them using the now defunct stockyard.
No other restrictions let you decide what goes where.
Examples
Premium, Standard, Favourites garages
Race & Track, Road, Tuned garages
Split by PP or whatever else tickles your fancy.
Your choice how you sort them.

Now just load the garage you want to use that session with all cars in it available for online & arcade.

If you want to use something different just accept you have to wait a moment while the new garage loads.

Seriously how hard can it be?

Still cant select from all your cars like you want VBR but far quicker than the stockyard & once you have sorted the garages how you like no tedious time spent transferring cars & wondering where they got to.

Spend a bit of time sorting them & you could have all similar cars lined up how you want them as a bonus.
Old muscles, lightweights, your take on supercars, GT500, GT3, Group C, Rally etc.

Fancy playing in an old muscle, there they all are together.
What shall we take for a spin today.
If this was a suggestion you'd have my vote. 👍

VBR
@Wide Boy - Great idea! PD seem to struggle with the way they approach problem solving, & tend to go for the more convoluted options. I guess that's the price of their genius, that they can't always think in terms of simple, elegant, & optimal solutions.

Aww shucks, you can actually take credit as to me most of what you post makes a lot of sense so made me think about it.
Also fits your premise of broadening the games appeal by letting you have control & letting those that like to collect cars actually do so.

Back