Gear Ratio Calculator or Explanation

• Thread starter dazlia
  • 5 comments
d4zlia
Hi,

Before anyone says "use the search function" on here let me assure you i have lol

Quick question for you lads please.

Does anyone know of a really simple gear ratio calculator that allows you to enter a few simple figures taken from the specs for a partuclar car and it will then give you the optimum gear ratio?

I'm new to tuning and im not a complete petrol head so a lot of it i dont fully understand but id like to setup my cars easily and quickly?

Anyone offer me a link?

I did read something on here a few days ago about multiplying HP by torgue or something but i cant find that thread now.

Many thanks

Hi, I think this is the "multiply HP/torque" thread you were talking about: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=199540 .But get out your calculator cos it's very in-depth...

Are you tuning for drag or circuit racing? If circuit, absolute precision in tuning gears is not so critical. So there are shortcut methods to get "near enough is good enough" results without drowning in maths!

Hi, I think this is the "multiply HP/torque" thread you were talking about: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=199540 .But get out your calculator cos it's very in-depth...

Are you tuning for drag or circuit racing? If circuit, absolute precision in tuning gears is not so critical. So there are shortcut methods to get "near enough is good enough" results without drowning in maths!

Hi Nomis, thanks for replying :) Appreciated. However it wasnt actually this thread i was talking about amte it was another one which actualy told you what to multipl by what. We have a le 'sarthe race and im using the 787b stealth car set at 700pp. All i want to do is set my gears up so that i get maximum accelration off the line but still balanced with top end speed for those long straights.

I knwo tuning is complicated but surely there is a simple way of doing this without all the maths.

thanks anyway, any other ideas please?

No worries, here's some methods to try for setting gears (sans integral calculus!)
Rotary_Junkie
Best way to get your ratios as close as possible while still being able to have a high top speed is as follows:
Final drive to max (5.000-6.000 depending on car), autoset/top speed to minimum. Make top gear as short as possible, first gear as long as possible. Space other gears evenly. Set final drive so that your top speed is something reasonable.
Result? First gear is extremely long, tight spacing for the rest. This works exceedingly well with higher power FWD and RWD cars; AWD will need a shorter 1st gear to launch properly.
or
nomis3613
STEP 4: GEARING
Gearing is hard to explain, so I'll just describe a shortcut method which usually gives ok gear ratios:
- decide what maximum speed you want (remembering that higher max speed = less acceleration).
- move the top gear slider all the way to the right
- then adjust the final drive until this speed is achieved at maximum revs in top gear (confirm this by testing on the track, often the “top speed” number in the gear settings is wrong)
- set 1st and 2nd gears all the way left, then space out 3rd, 4th and 5th gears evenly in between.

If a gear is causing wheelspin at low revs, then the ratio can be moved left without reducing acceleration, this will allow the other gears to be spaced closer together for better acceleration. For each track, the gears which are used most should be spaced as tightly as possible. For example if a track mostly uses 3rd and 4th gears: set 3rd as far left as possible and 4th as far to the right. Often 1st gear is only used for standing starts, because it just results in wheelspin for slow corners.

Also, here's a really handy collection of tuning links: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=204024

Hope this helps!

Does anyone know why does my ek9 minimum top speed(autoset) is 180km/h , whereas my friend ek9 and all other videos ive watch is 160km/h. Anybody knows why? I just bought this game and even bought 2 ek9 to confirm and it still the same.

Back