Gear Ratios and Gas Milage

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheToad263
  • 14 comments
  • 1,116 views

TheToad263

(Banned)
Messages
204
Messages
TheToad263
Does anyone know if changing the gear ratio of the car actually changes the gas mileage as well? I set my FGT up at the max top speed for the Indy 500 and realized that is way too high (seeing how I cant even get it into 7th gear unless im drafting) So im wondering, since I am spending most of the race only about 1000rmps below red line pretty much the entire race, will that ruin my gas mileage?

Has no one looked at this, or does no one know, or does no one care? Im just trying to figure out if increasing your transmission enough to where its hitting the top speed the track will allow being in the top gear at a very low RPM as opposed to slightly lowering the top speed and therefore improving acceleration, but also meaning that the top speed the track allows will be at a much higher (almost redline) RPM.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure how PD has set it up, but in real life ...

If you are at wide open throttle, the faster you can go at a lower RPM will give the best fuel economy. It's a bit more complicated than that for part throttle stuff, but it's basically that simple if you keep the throttle flat.
 
Has no one looked at this, or does no one know, or does no one care? Im just trying to figure out if increasing your transmission enough to where its hitting the top speed the track will allow being in the top gear at a very low RPM as opposed to slightly lowering the top speed and therefore improving acceleration, but also meaning that the top speed the track allows will be at a much higher (almost redline) RPM.

Isn't that something you could give a try yourself?
If you wonder you can test it, and then post the results.
 
Isn't that something you could give a try yourself?
If you wonder you can test it, and then post the results.

You could try it, instead of asking other people to do it for you...
 
Your gear ratios are going to have a negligible effect on your gas mileage. Your laptime bonus from running lower fuel will not even dent the hit you're going to take by having the wrong ratios.
 
You could try it, instead of asking other people to do it for you...

That's the exact same thing as I said, only the words are different?
 
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to come off as lazy or anything. I actually have tried to measure this myself, but unless I am missing something there is no way to measure how much gas you have in the tank other than the fuel gauge and that is not accurate enough for me to make any actual conclusions.... does anyone know of another way that I can measure how much gas I have used? It needs to be some kind of quantifiable number or unit, not just a bar that basically only allows me to know when I am 3/4 full, 1/2 full and 1/4 full... I need gallons or liters, and tenths of a gallon/liter would be even better. I just thought that perhaps there was someone on this forum that would have already discovered this and/or has an answer or theory. It's not super important so don't go and try to figure it out and waste your time unless YOU want to know.

And yet again, on par for most people on this site, a bunch of smart ass remarks from people. I asked a question, if you don't have an answer and/or something to say regarding my question then go write your smart ass "I am holier than thou" crap in your journal or something so I or anyone else doesn't have to waste time reading it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to come off as lazy or anything. I actually have tried to measure this myself, but unless I am missing something there is no way to measure how much gas you have in the tank other than the fuel gauge and that is not accurate enough for me to make any actual conclusions.... does anyone know of another way that I can measure how much gas I have used? It needs to be some kind of quantifiable number or unit, not just a bar that basically only allows me to know when I am 3/4 full, 1/2 full and 1/4 full... I need gallons or liters, and tenths of a gallon/liter would be even better. I just thought that perhaps there was someone on this forum that would have already discovered this and/or has an answer or theory. It's not super important so don't go and try to figure it out and waste your time unless YOU want to know.

When you go into the pits, you will see the exact amount of fuel you get to fill up your tank.

If you're really into this, you'll need to drive 20 laps or so on Indy, with Higher than needed gearing, after that you max out the gears, and do another 20 laps. Go!
 
Your gear ratios are going to have a negligible effect on your gas mileage. Your laptime bonus from running lower fuel will not even dent the hit you're going to take by having the wrong ratios.

And thank you Mopatop! It's people like you that are the reason why I haven't given up on this site yet. I just don't understand why so many people troll this forum for threads that are made by people who are asking real questions so they can make underhanded comments about how they are so much smarter than you and such.
 
And thank you Mopatop! It's people like you that are the reason why I haven't given up on this site yet. I just don't understand why so many people troll this forum for threads that are made by people who are asking real questions so they can make underhanded comments about how they are so much smarter than you and such.

Advising someone to go and figure it out themselfs, after no one gave you an answer, is trolling?

Or am I missing something?
 
Advising someone to go and figure it out themselfs, after no one gave you an answer, is trolling?

Or am I missing something?

Maybe I took your post in the wrong context... Only you will ever know if you said that sincerely or sarcastically. If you were sincere then I apologize.

Later on in the thread someone actually did answer the question, and I suppose I should have put in my original post that I did try it and couldn't accurately measure it but oh well.

Im not trying to insult anyone but I just get frustrated sometimes with all of the immature and mean-hearted insults and comments that people write in these forums. Perhaps its just a few bad apples, but they seems to pop up quite often... I thought these forums were made for people to quickly and easily exchange information, ask questions and discuss Gran Turismo, not so people can go around and try to make people feel stupid and/or incompetent.

So I say again, I apologize for accusing you of being mean-hearted in your response. I know you can't really decipher someones tone on the internet so it's sometimes impossible to figure out what someone means. I truly am sorry.
 
Does anyone know if changing the gear ratio of the car actually changes the gas mileage as well? I set my FGT up at the max top speed for the Indy 500 and realized that is way too high (seeing how I cant even get it into 7th gear unless im drafting) So im wondering, since I am spending most of the race only about 1000rmps below red line pretty much the entire race, will that ruin my gas mileage?

hold it in 7th gear and see if you can do longer stints?
 
You could try it, instead of asking other people to do it for you...

This is actually the quote that I was talking about as being smart-assed.... all the other posts were helpful and pleasant. And by the way, just because I ask a question doesn't mean I am asking someone to go out and perform an experiment, I simply wanted to know if anyone knew the answer to my question.... isn't that what the forums are for? Asking other GT players questions that you don't know the answer to in the hopes that someone else on the site does? Or am I the one who is missing something.
 
Maybe I took your post in the wrong context... Only you will ever know if you said that sincerely or sarcastically. If you were sincere then I apologize.

Later on in the thread someone actually did answer the question, and I suppose I should have put in my original post that I did try it and couldn't accurately measure it but oh well.

Im not trying to insult anyone but I just get frustrated sometimes with all of the immature and mean-hearted insults and comments that people write in these forums. Perhaps its just a few bad apples, but they seems to pop up quite often... I thought these forums were made for people to quickly and easily exchange information, ask questions and discuss Gran Turismo, not so people can go around and try to make people feel stupid and/or incompetent.

So I say again, I apologize for accusing you of being mean-hearted in your response. I know you can't really decipher someones tone on the internet so it's sometimes impossible to figure out what someone means. I truly am sorry.

I know what you mean 👍 , and it's ok.

Did you give it a go already?
 
Well mine can do 50 laps in B spec Indy with long gears so its nice and easy to remember
 
Back