Gearbox Changing

China
Hong Kong
How to change a 5-speed gearbox to a 6-speed one. I have looked for the solutions from quite a number of sites including the Hybrid ones but without goal. Anyone who has the knowhow please instruct me or refer me to where I could find a clear answer to it. Thank you!

Actually that is easy, think of it as a GT3 hybrid, collect your values easy with the Dev Mode on the Windows calculator, say you want a sixth gear, but the fifth gear ratio is 0980 in decimal. You will need the transmission codes to do this, please refer to this site here for the base codes. It's VERY useful.

Site: http://pupik-gt2.tripod.com/

I can give you the bases if you want, but here they are.

VERSION 1.2 Hybrid Gearing Codes (NTSC U/C)

1st Gear
801cd59e XXXX

2nd Gear

801cd5a0 XXXX

3rd Gear

801cd5a2 XXXX

4th Gear

801cd5a4 XXXX

5th Gear

801cd5a6 XXXX

6th Gear

801cd5a8 XXXX

7th Gear

801cd5aa XXXX

Final Drive

801cd5ac XXXX

Thanks at @Pupik

These are going to alter 4 bytes to the memory of your first car of your garage, and nothing else. Be wary on how you use it, and also your calculations are important.

Thanks! I have tried this before but first in the setting screen it doesn't show all the 7 gears and final drive. It's still the standard five. The second thing is if it does how to calculate each of the gear numbers - the xxxx thing. The xxxx are not actual numbers which really puzzles me.

Thanks! I have tried this before but first in the setting screen it doesn't show all the 7 gears and final drive. It's still the standard five. The second thing is if it does how to calculate each of the gear numbers - the xxxx thing. The xxxx are not actual numbers which really puzzles me.
Those are the altering hex bytes. You just need to do a simple number decimal to hex. It's relatively easy to understand to do and on how it works, just don't alter your settings.

I did it at last and it seems I have made a completely new 6-speed gearbox. I don't know if my making was exactly right yet it is working so good. The lap time had been reduced by a second using the same car at the same track.

That's for PAL unfortunately so I don't think that will work for you (values should though, just not the base code).

The only way I know of to get the 7-speed is to change the car's name to the Subaru Pleo, buy it's 7-spd transmission, revert to your car's original name, then set it using the codes below)
I've never found a value that worked for the 7-speed on PAL :/ Although 6 is way more than enough for this game's physics :P

"Transmission
801cd5a0 ????
&Choice
$00F4 6 speed
$0841 4 speed

This used with the PAL version of the gear ratio modifiers (because when making hybrids, going into the settings menu will revert to original, so if you want to mod the added gears, you have to use this):

"Reverse
801cd5cc ????
?0000-FFFF
"1ERE
801cd5ce ????
?0000-FFFF
"2NDE
801cd5d0 ????
?0000-FFFF
"3EME
801cd5d2 ????
?0000-FFFF
"4EME
801cd5d4 ????
?0000-FFFF
"5EME
801cd5d6 ????
?0000-FFFF
"6EME
801cd5d8 ????
?0000-FFFF
"7EME
801cd5da ????
?0000-FFFF
"FINALE
801cd5dc ????
?0000-FFFF
"AUTO.
801cd5de ????
?0000-FFFF

That's for PAL unfortunately so I don't think that will work for you (values should though, just not the base code).

The only way I know of to get the 7-speed is to change the car's name to the Subaru Pleo, buy it's 7-spd transmission, revert to your car's original name, then set it using the codes below)
I've never found a value that worked for the 7-speed on PAL :/ Although 6 is way more than enough for this game's physics :P

"Transmission
801cd5a0 ????
&Choice
$00F4 6 speed
$0841 4 speed

This used with the PAL version of the gear ratio modifiers (because when making hybrids, going into the settings menu will revert to original, so if you want to mod the added gears, you have to use this):

"Reverse
801cd5cc ????
?0000-FFFF
"1ERE
801cd5ce ????
?0000-FFFF
"2NDE
801cd5d0 ????
?0000-FFFF
"3EME
801cd5d2 ????
?0000-FFFF
"4EME
801cd5d4 ????
?0000-FFFF
"5EME
801cd5d6 ????
?0000-FFFF
"6EME
801cd5d8 ????
?0000-FFFF
"7EME
801cd5da ????
?0000-FFFF
"FINALE
801cd5dc ????
?0000-FFFF
"AUTO.
801cd5de ????
?0000-FFFF
Pupik's website codes worked for me though, it would be recommended to use that site for hybrids. I have yet to make a super hyper car with these codes.

But I guess, I can test them once I get home.

Yup. Pupik's probably the best site around left for examples and values. I even made a full save of his GT2 and GT1 pages on my computer a few years ago.

Yup. Pupik's probably the best site around left for examples and values. I even made a full save of his GT2 and GT1 pages on my computer a few years ago.
I haven't tried GT1 hybriding yet, but every time I search for hybrid codes for the game it's just hard to search through Google's pages to find a resource sadly.

True. There was a site a while back that had quite a few good codes I think for GT1, but it's now dead. However thanks to the internet archive you can still find it: https://web.archive.org/web/20060220130306/http://gthybridcars.www5.50megs.com/gt1_basecodes.htm

Avast thinks it's a virus though, so you may get an alert with it.

EDIT: one thing to note: I've never found/nobody ever made a code to change drivetrain or swap engines :C and I don't have the hacking skills to look for anything more complicated than a "choose what lap you start on" or a money modifier...

EncounterGTR recently made a code for me that fixes the miscoding of 4 cars that are supposed to be 4WD but handle as FWD, it doesn't change the actual drivetrain of the car though.

Last edited:
I can make a 7-speed gearbox to all the cars I modify for GT1 v1.1. You don't have to change the name of the car. This is what I use :-

"1st car mod\Turbo
8009BAC8 00F5
"1st car mod\Suspension
8009BAC4 017B
"1st car mod\Tires
8009BAC6 040C
"1st car mod\Transmission
8009BAB0 0196

Gears
1st 2.785
2nd 1.950
3rd 1.407
4th 1.031
5th 0.853
6th 0.690
7th 0.598
Final 4.679

Always use close ratio through the 1st to 7th gears but a lower gear for the Final Drive. This will make the car go faster.

BTW, submaniac, I just heard you mentioned about EncounterGTR. He posted the autopilot code for the GT1 Japanese version some time ago but it doesn't work for me. Do you know where I can find the J codes?

I thought we were talking about GT2? lol

Yes, in GT1 you can apply a 7-speed with a code and the way the game works, unlike GT2, you can actually set it directly in the settings menu (hybrids don't reset in the settings menu on GT1).
For GT2, if you have (like apparently you do :) ) a code that puts a 7-speed onto your car yeah, you can simply set it. Actually... let me see if your value works on PAL.

As for your question, I don't have any good sources, because I haven't tinkered with GT1 J much. Apart from a playthrough a week or 2 ago. But this should help you hopefully. You better make use of a translator though, unless you can read German or Dutch... I don't know which one it is. http://gamehacking.org/game/94768

If you want to make hybrids though, the page I linked above via the web archive seems to have the codes for every region of the game.

I'm actually thinking about saving them before they get lost forever.

EDIT: Welp, 0196 for the transmission code doesn't work on PAL *sadness*. Bah, I don't really need it. Worth a try :P

Thanks, submaniac, I read roughly that page weeks ago. It seems it doesn't have a code regarding autopilot. I'll read it again in a more thorough way this time.

submaniac, this is the gears for GT2 US version 94455-94488

"1st car mod\7-speed gearbox
801CD570 0669
801CD59E 0AE1
801CD5A0 0776
801CD5A2 057D
801CD5A4 0426
801CD5A6 034B
801CD5A8 02B3
801CD5AA 0248
801CD5AC 1393

I believe it work for PAL also.

Oh don't worry I don't need the ratio modifier. It's the actual upgrade/part that i'm missing. Thanks anyway ^^

O.K. If you don't mind telling me what upgrade part you're missing, may be I'll try looking it up for you.

Good news to me, submaniac, thanks to EncounterGTR, his autopilot code for GT1 JP version works perfectly only that I had to use auto transmission mode...that simple.

submaniac93, the 7-speed gearbox for GT2 US version I posted here in 2017 was something I totally forgot. I'm trying to convert it to JP version, yet all the info I have for the conversion are no use. Do you have the JP version of the said gearbox? Thanks.

Another thing is I don't like the autopilot of the US version since during the reply I have to stick to my own car. If I change to either of the AI car my own car will go off the track and whole reply will no longer complete. I hope you know what I mean.

Last edited:
The autopilot issue is because the buttons mapped to enable/disable it are up/down, which are also the buttons used to move to an other car. The inputs that aren't 0001 and 0000 parts of the code are the button input. Find a joker command chart and you can edit what does what. Also keep in mind that unless you enable the AI driving at the exact same moment you did in-game, your replays will always be slightly different from your actual gameplay.

And i don't have the jp gearbox code. I assume the value will be the same or nearby since the amount of cars didn't change too much but yeah.

The autopilot issue is because the buttons mapped to enable/disable it are up/down, which are also the buttons used to move to an other car. The inputs that aren't 0001 and 0000 parts of the code are the button input. Find a joker command chart and you can edit what does what. Also keep in mind that unless you enable the AI driving at the exact same moment you did in-game, your replays will always be slightly different from your actual gameplay.

And i don't have the jp gearbox code. I assume the value will be the same or nearby since the amount of cars didn't change too much but yeah.

Thank you for your reply. You know after three years I have forgotten how to build a 7-speed gearbox completely not even the US one that I did before.
The US version I did is working fine. Well let's forget about the gearbox now.

I did checked the codes of the autopilot between US and JP versions these few days but I didn't know how to do with them. As you just gave me hints regarding the mapping of the buttons, I will try to fix the US version to see whether it could work like the JP ones. Thank you once again for all you did.

submaniac93, I did it. Just change one of the values of the us version to the JP version's. That's it.

Last edited:
submaniac93, again I want to let you know that the US version 7- speed gearbox is perfectly ok, while the making of the Pal and JP versions just don't work at all even have I used the respective addresses and values. I really don't understand. Any idea?

[I just found that a person called Fatgoat from this site (should be a man, I guess) saying that the transmission code value is 067C with which I tried on the Pal version and it really works! As 0669 is for the US and 067C should most likely for the Pal version, but sadly it doesn't work for the JP...]

Last edited:
Back