Gears on RWD questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jdmyo93
  • 6 comments
  • 679 views
Messages
240
Well I have been experimenting with a couple of my cars (Mainly Mazda RX7 FC3S, Callaway C12) and I've noticed this in most tuned RWD (FR) cars. Is the first, second, and third gear like... the weakest gears? Im not sure how to explain this but you know when the race starts and the car goes overrev and if you shift its so slow, you are way behind the pack? Or when you just crashed into a wall and once you get back on the track , its normal that you have to fight the sliding momentum?

Sorry Im still a noob :nervous: at tuning and I've been recently curious about them.
 
It's not about your tuning so much as it's simply a power vs available grip issue. You only have two drive wheels and you don't have the weight of the engine and trans over the drive wheels. You need to learn to feather the throttle. Stickier tires will help, adjusting the LSD will help a little maybe, but the real bottom line is there's only so much available contact patch and grip with which to put the power to the ground. The lower the gear, the more slip you will experience.
 
Wow that just pretty much answered my question
Thank you so much.

Also as in "you need to learn to feather the throttle..." is throttle controling am I correct? I could put the Traction control high for that but I dont like inserting driving aids at all.

I'll try putting the gear ratios a bit higher and I'll see the difference. Thanks so much
 
Wow that just pretty much answered my question
Thank you so much.

Also as in "you need to learn to feather the throttle..." is throttle controling am I correct? I could put the Traction control high for that but I dont like inserting driving aids at all.

I'll try putting the gear ratios a bit higher and I'll see the difference. Thanks so much

Traction control could work but imho it's kinda the cheap way out and it takes a lot away from your actual control of the car. I know I'm much quicker without it, too, though that may be different for others.

You could try changing your controls to use the trigger as the accelerator instead of X as it has a much more variable range. Analog stick works for that, too. Honestly this is why I'm so glad I bought a steering wheel and don't have to mess with trying (and often failing) to go half throttle out of corners with the X button. :)
 
Yup I changed the controls when I first got the game. But now that throttle controlling is so important I've been working on the throttle controlling, especially for exiting a corner, much more now. Especially since i have a better knowledge about them now =)

I use to have a wheel that didnt work with GT5. But was flawlessly beautiful with rFactor.
 
Yup I changed the controls when I first got the game. But now that throttle controlling is so important I've been working on the throttle controlling, especially for exiting a corner, much more now. Especially since i have a better knowledge about them now =)

I use to have a wheel that didnt work with GT5. But was flawlessly beautiful with rFactor.

For learning throttle control it may be better getting used to something with a bit more power where throttle control is vital (my way of perfecting my throttle control ... I used the Zonda R / Corvette ZR-1 C6 RM :P)

You'll notice with some cars you wont have to worry about your throttle as much, such as the Castrol TOM's Supra, that car is brilliant :)

Also as said above focus on your LSD settings which will help your wheel spin ... I like to use: Initial Torque - 8, Accel - 50, Decel - 50.
 
Alright thanks Hig

Practice and practice on this throttle controlling and expanding my tuning knowledge is going to help me get better for sure I know it :)
 
Back