Cowboy

Lariat Member
Premium
United States
North Dakota
GTP_Cowboy
RacingCowboy570
From Motor Trend:

"To reduce weight and improve fuel economy, GM may introduce carbon fiber beds on its future pickups. Although the automaker hasn’t confirmed the news, two sources familiar with the plans say the company will use the high-strength material on its new full-size trucks. The carbon fiber beds could arrive on GM pickups within the next two years. They’ll launch on premium trucks, but the special beds could eventually trickle down to lower trims as GM makes the production process more efficient, reports The Wall Street Journal.

GM is expected to use carbon fiber as part of a mix of materials on its pickup boxes, says one source. The mix would include aluminum, another lightweight material. GM’s rival, the Ford F-150, has featured an aluminum body since 2014. GM could use carbon fiber reinforced thermoplastic technology that it has been working on for several years with partner Teijin Limited. This process is said to be a faster and more efficient way to make carbon fiber composites, and it could help the material become more mainstream in automotive applications.

The reports come as automakers are trying to meet more stringent fuel economy regulations in coming years. Although GM declined to comment on its next-gen pickups to Automotive News, a spokesman did reveal to the publication that the company is generally focused on using “the right materials in the right place” to reduce weight “without any sacrifice of safety, ride dynamics or utility.”

Redesigned versions of the Silverado and Sierra will go on sale next year, but they won’t include the carbon fiber beds at launch."

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/www.moto...-future-gm-trucks-will-carbon-fiber-beds/amp/

Thoughts?

For beds:
How much to replace?
How much for "Paintless" dent repair?

I don't own or drive a full size truck, but I drive a couple utes for work('18 HiLux dual cab & Cab Chassis and BT-50 dual cab). Would make sense for interior items like seats, dashboards, door trims. Mirror, bonnets and roofs. Anyway, cool that they'll find a way to do this.

I can't wait to see what a 2.5 ton load of stone does to that.

Carbon Fibre isn't the exotic material it once was. There is cheap grade stuff flooding the industry now, for example you can buy cheap carbon fibre bicycles.

All that is doing is testing what the sheer rate difference between the two is based on torque load through it. It says nothing about load capacity per square yard based on thickness and material used or how it will hold up over time and abuse.

Last edited:
All that is doing is testing what the sheer rate difference between the two is based on torque load through it. It says nothing about load capacity per square yard based on thickness and material used or how it will hold up over time and abuse.

It demonstrates that when constructed in the correct direction for use it's incredibly light and strong. The beds aren't going to be solely carbon fibre, I'd be surprised if your load of stone was going to go directly onto the carbon fibre... but overall the bed can be stronger, lighter, and just as fit for purpose.

Interesting idea.

The question is will this be a flop like the Pro-Tech Composite beds they offered in the early 2000's.

My Tacoma had a composite bed and it never had an issue with anything I put in it. Ran it all the way up to northern Michigan with a pretty heavy quad in it, and routinely put around 2,000 lbs of mulch in the back (which was 500 lbs over the rated capacity) without issue.

I imagine the new GM trucks won't have an issue carrying anything, especially after they made those stupid commercials about the F-150's aluminium bed.

I can't wait to see what a 2.5 ton load of stone does to that.

You should write a letter to GM entitled "Have your engineers considered designing a truck bed that can withstand rocks?" I'm sure they'd appreciate the suggestion.

Pickup truck beds are not exactly design really well for stratchy stuff now. Painted metal seems to be a pretty poor surface for a truck bed... thus all the liners. Seems like GM is finally able to consider an all-around better approach out of the factory.

Last edited:
you can buy cheap carbon fibre bicycles
And sadly it's coloring peoples' opinion of the good ones. Companies that make the good ones don't rely on any particular number of new cyclists buying carbon bikes, but it's a figure worth considering. Also worth noting that good bikes aren't good simply because of the grade of weave used, but also how it's used.

You should write a letter to GM entitled "Have your engineers considered designing a truck bed that can withstand rocks?" I'm sure they'd appreciate the suggestion.

Pickup truck beds are not exactly design really well for stratchy stuff now. Painted metal seems to be a pretty poor surface for a truck bed... thus all the liners. Seems like GM is finally able to consider an all-around better approach out of the factory.

The only difference between a brand new bed out now and one off grandpa's 84 Square body (roughly speaking for sake of comparison) is the besides and a liner. Sheet metal is exactly the same thickness, design wise it just changed for the body style. They are both galvanized and they both rust the same.

It's not about a painted steel surface or having a liner. That said GM trucks do not come with liners out of the factory. They are done typically at the dealership. I work with them brand new right off the hauler every day. Rarely does one come pre-lined unless special order. Anyways, it's about having the floor flex and bow out after having several loads dropped in it. I've seen it happen over periods of years on extensively used steel bed work trucks or average trucks that had an excessively large overload in the bed, but not enough to wear it's crossmember supports underneath have buckled.

My question is how well will that stand up over time and use as compared to standard high strength steel. There's a reason they stopped using wood bed floors.

Now I can see outer bed sides being used in said material. But using it across an entire bed seems...well, a poor choice. Especially when your loading a couple face cords of logs, a few tons of crushed slate stone, or what have you. A few 2x4's in a 1500 would be ok, but when you start getting into the heavy duty trucks I can see how this would be a bad idea, especially if you live in the rust belt, where guys attach salt spreaders that weigh a few thousand pounds directly over the hitch. I feel like that would be prone to tearing especially after chronic salt exposure.

The other argument is that "oh most people who buy a truck won't work it like that". Bull:censored:. Jump on any page dedicated to a certain year pickup on Facebook and you'll see it all over the place. For every person who buys a truck as a commuter there are one or two, especially in fleets, who work them HARD.

This is why Ford is getting a lot of flack for using an aluminum bed. Take a corner too hard with a good load and youll rip the entire bed in half. Last I knew according to higher ups at work, word was GM is to follow suit within the next few years

Last edited:
especially if you live in the rust belt, where guys attach salt spreaders that weigh a few thousand pounds directly over the hitch. I feel like that would be prone to tearing especially after chronic salt exposure.

Carbon fiber is chemically neutral so the salt doesn't react with it. Same goes for plastic. The metal attachments are what you need to worry about. In my Tacoma, the only thing that shows signs of corrosion in the bed were the bolts that held it to the frame.

The other argument is that "oh most people who buy a truck won't work it like that".

But there is some truth to that. While there are a ton of commercial sales for trucks, I'd wager most non-commercial purchases are from people who really don't need a truck. They pull a boat a couple times a year or go and get lumber once a summer. Hell, I didn't even need a truck when I bought one, I just needed something with 4WD that could also pull a Dodge Neon.

Carbon fiber is chemically neutral so the salt doesn't react with it. Same goes for plastic. The metal attachments are what you need to worry about. In my Tacoma, the only thing that shows signs of corrosion in the bed were the bolts that held it to the frame.

But there is some truth to that. While there are a ton of commercial sales for trucks, I'd wager most non-commercial purchases are from people who really don't need a truck. They pull a boat a couple times a year or go and get lumber once a summer. Hell, I didn't even need a truck when I bought one, I just needed something with 4WD that could also pull a Dodge Neon.

The salt reacting with it as you said is chemically neutral. Not so with the steel around it. When that inevitably rusts, when the fibers structural integrity is put in jeopardy, then what?

That's not to say most trucks won't be traded in by that time, but given how many out there won't be, it makes me worry. Then you have to factor cost of repair. It's just going to make it that much harder to fix them.

Yes there is some truth to what your saying, but as I said it goes both ways. Many many fleets out there millions of trucks are sold each year.

The only difference between a brand new bed out now and one off grandpa's 84 Square body (roughly speaking for sake of comparison) is the besides and a liner. Sheet metal is exactly the same thickness, design wise it just changed for the body style. They are both galvanized and they both rust the same.

It's not about a painted steel surface or having a liner. That said GM trucks do not come with liners out of the factory. They are done typically at the dealership. I work with them brand new right off the hauler every day. Rarely does one come pre-lined unless special order. Anyways, it's about having the floor flex and bow out after having several loads dropped in it. I've seen it happen over periods of years on extensively used steel bed work trucks or average trucks that had an excessively large overload in the bed, but not enough to wear it's crossmember supports underneath have buckled.

So... stronger then?

My question is how well will that stand up over time and use as compared to standard high strength steel. There's a reason they stopped using wood bed floors.

Just a guess that they're on top of that. In fact, it's probably quite a few peoples' actual job to be on top of that.

Now I can see outer bed sides being used in said material. But using it across an entire bed seems...well, a poor choice.

Because... why? Salt? No. Impact resistance? No, that's easily taken care of. Strength? No, carbon fiber can be very strong if it is designed properly. Not sure how this is a poor choice except that probably it costs more.

You're assuming that it will be worse. I'm not sure why. There is every reason to expect that their carbon fiber bed can outperform in every respect. Could it be done badly? Absolutely. People bungle projects all the time. But assuming it will be done badly doesn't seem like a good move. My guess is that GM is actually paying attention to how much abuse it can handle, because... it's part of their brand.

So... stronger then?

Just a guess that they're on top of that. In fact, it's probably quite a few peoples' actual job to be on top of that.

Because... why? Salt? No. Impact resistance? No, that's easily taken care of. Strength? No, carbon fiber can be very strong if it is designed properly. Not sure how this is a poor choice except that probably it costs more.

You're assuming that it will be worse. I'm not sure why. There is every reason to expect that their carbon fiber bed can outperform in every respect. Could it be done badly? Absolutely. People bungle projects all the time. But assuming it will be done badly doesn't seem like a good move. My guess is that GM is actually paying attention to how much abuse it can handle, because... it's part of their brand.
I'm not saying it won't be good, but given GM's history...

All I'm saying is that is has a loT of living up to do.

GM already shot themselves in the foot when they started making those "GM steel bed is better than weak aluminum Ford bed" commercials. They basically committed at that point to never use anything other than steel so now that they are, if true, was highly predictable to me and pretty hypocritical. But GM is an old school company who are not known for innovation or pioneering anything. I knew this would eventually happen and I think it's funny.

Have specifics regarding where and how the material will be utilozed, apart from "the bed?" No point worrying about how it might handle abuse until more details are officially made public.

The article says the carbon fiber beds will be used only on the "premium" trucks at first, which are generally the high end, "look at my paycheck" models that aren't used for actual dirty work. I'm sure it'll be fine for whatever light duty that suburbanite life requires of it.

The article says the carbon fiber beds will be used only on the "premium" trucks at first, which are generally the high end, "look at my paycheck" models that aren't used for actual dirty work. I'm sure it'll be fine for whatever light duty that suburbanite life requires of it.
Exactly. They should cope with mattresses and Power Wheels just fine. ;)

Back