Get back into GT1!

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to put GT1 on and have a go, something I have not done for a long time. From the stunning intro movie (Easily the best of all those produced) through to the addictive gameplay and challenging races and leagues. Even though this game is nearly 10 years old, it's still as fun and challenging as ever. Obviously, being the first in the series means it is shorter but for those after nostalgic fun you can't better it. If you have the original GT on a shelf somewhere gathering dust, get it out and give it a go! Similarly those who want to get their hands on GT4 and are waiting for that Birthday/ Payday etc. This is a great game to fill up the time with, it won't take you that long to complete either.

C'mon guys, let's get talking about this game again!

NickEriksson
Hi,

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to put GT1 on and have a go, something I have not done for a long time. From the stunning intro movie (Easily the best of all those produced) through to the addictive gameplay and challenging races and leagues. Even though this game is nearly 10 years old, it's still as fun and challenging as ever. Obviously, being the first in the series means it is shorter but for those after nostalgic fun you can't better it. If you have the original GT on a shelf somewhere gathering dust, get it out and give it a go! Similarly those who want to get their hands on GT4 and are waiting for that Birthday/ Payday etc. This is a great game to fill up the time with, it won't take you that long to complete either.

C'mon guys, let's get talking about this game again!
I played it about 7 years ago :crazy:
But i played it last year and it reminded me of the old days :) :)
Absolutely stunning intro like you just said.
This game will be a classic in years to come don't you think? :)

This is how it always is: I loved the original Tomb Raider with its sparse action but heavy background detailing. The later ones had better graphics and more and more features, but there's something about the original that is missing from later versions. You FEEL like you're on an archaeological dig gone awry.

Likewise, the original GT also has something missing from later games, tho I can't judge GT3 or 4 yet since I don't own them. One thing for sure, the races are TOUGHER than GT2. GT1 starts off with an advanced feel to it, whereas GT2 is alot more accessible to newbs. I also looooove the car wash (GT2 it doesn't do anything) and the way you can watch the front of your car during replays. The turbo boost gauge was tweakable, SSR11 was under construction yet you could still race on it, the Viper (my fave in GT1) sounded better than the smoother GT2 engine, etc. On the other hand, the thing that bugged me about it is the way most of the cars are Japanese, with a pitiful handful of American and British cars thrown in. Of course, this was the original game so I'm forgiving of this, but it's also the reason I moved on to GT2 after just 4 months of GT1.

Last edited:
Yeah but don't you find that a lot of the cars in GT2 are very simular, a hot hatch is a hot hatch whoever makes it. Also when you first start playing didn't you find the car selection a bit overwhelming?

I agree that they have too many of the same MAKE of car (like 30 different versions of R33 and R34 Skylines, Silvias, etc, Civics, too many Kei compacts) but I personally don't have a problem with the fact that the Honda Logo sits beside the Civic which races against the Mitsubishi Mirage. I've found that a lot of them boast subtle differences on the tracks. Then when you put a Alfa 145 up against a Japanese compact, you really get a different feel. Now try a VW Golf ...a BMW 323 ti...a Dodge Neon. I'm a lover of variety, I guess. It seems there's always a car I haven't tried in GT2 that I'm curious about, even after a year and 3 months.

I have to agree with you about the car selection being overwhelming (even now sometimes!) but I don't see this as a BAD thing!! I'd rather have choices choices choices, dude. Again, my only complaint is that there are too many of the same make of car. They could have cut some of the repeats to make more space for less grainier graphics.

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
I agree that they have too many of the same MAKE of car (like 30 different versions of R33 and R34 Skylines, Silvias, etc, Civics, too many kei compacts) but i personally don't have a problem with the fact that the Honda Logo sits beside the Civic which races against the Mitsubishi Mirage. I've found that a lot of them boast subtle differences on the tracks. Then when you put a Alfa 145 up against a Japanese compact, you really get a different feel. Now try a VW Golf ...a BMW 323 ti...a Dodge Neon. I'm a lover of variety, i guess. It seems theres' always a car i haven't tried in GT2 that i'm curious about, even after a year and 3 months

I have to agree with you about the car selection being overwhelming (even now sometimes!) but i dont' see this as a BAD thing!! I'd rather have choices choices choices, dude. Again, my only complaint is that there are too many of the same make of car. They could have cut some of the repeats to make more space for less grainier graphics.

Yeah I agree that they should have cut some of the endless repeats of cars for either better graphics or more exclusive cars but is there really any difference between a VW Golf and the Alfa 145. I remember I was disappointed by the handling of the Golf when I bought it, and during the races it seemed to struggle to get anywhere. I must admit that I have only dabbled in GT2 as most of my energy was towards completeing, by my standards, GT1.

I've just bought a copy of GT1 and 2 off ebay to get back into them as my brother stole my ps1 and all my games when he moved house, i miss them so much! i loved the dodge concept(copperhead) in GT1 and the GTO LM race car and the FTO LM - but my fav cars for handling and accelleration was either the skyline or the subaru impreza rally car - (did anyone else notice in GT1 when you boughht a silver car you could tune it up more, e.g. i liked the purple skyline then racing mod red and yellow outline but it would only tune up to 650bhp or something but if you buy a silver one it would tune up to 900+bhp???)

TMM: sure there's a difference between the VW & the Alfa. I don't even have to jump into them to know that! The Golf -like you said, feels heavier and needs more tuning. Also, the back end tends to swing a bit since it's made for hauling stuff, so you're dealing with understeer and mild body-sway oversteer as well. The 145 (as I remember) feels more nimble and handles like a dream right out of the box. Sports tires & suspension make it unstoppable for most B & A license races it'll qualify for. It's one of those cars that'll tackle any corner with ease. The back end of the 145 is a lot more tame. Aside from looks (which is a variety in and of itself), they definitely have different personalities. I woulda gotten bored with GT2 a long time ago if it was just packed with Civics. :)

Barryl85: I don't know the answer to your question, but I just wanted to say that totally sucks you lost your original copies!

Last edited:
barryl85
(did anyone else notice in GT1 when you boughht a silver car you could tune it up more, e.g. i liked the purple skyline then racing mod red and yellow outline but it would only tune up to 650bhp or something but if you buy a silver one it would tune up to 900+bhp???)

I didn't know that, are you sure it was only the colour that was different and not the spec?

Parnelli Bone
TMM: sure there's a difference btwn the VW & the Alfa. I don't even have to jump into them to know that! The Golf -like you said, feels heavier and needs more tuning. Also, the back end tends to swing a bit since it's made for hauling stuff, so you're dealing with understeer and mild body-sway oversteer as well. The 145 (as i remember) feels more nimble and handles like a dream right out of the box. Sports tires & suspension make it unstoppable for most B & A license races it'll qualify for. It's one of those cars that'll tackle any corner with ease. The back end of the 145 is alot more tame. Aside from looks (which is a variety in and of itself), they definately have different ‘personalities’. I woulda gotten bored with GT2 a long time ago if it was just packed with Civics.

I wasn't including looks or even engine power as 1 car could have 50HP more than the other, I was thinking of handling. I hadn't tried the Alfa 145 as I had only dabbled and was dis-appointed by the Golf, which I was led to believe was suppoed to be a hot hatch and something of a great car. Maybe I should buy all the European hatchbacks and try each of them, naw I haven't the time. I will just relie on the opions of others and try to make some good choices.

TMM
I wasn't including looks or even engine power as 1 car could have 50HP more than the other, I was thinking of handling. I hadn't tried the Alfa 145 as I had only dabbled and was dis-appointed by the Golf, which I was led to believe was suppoed to be a hot hatch and something of a great car. Maybe I should buy all the European hatchbacks and try each of them, naw I haven't the time. I will just relie on the opions of others and try to make some good choices.

I'm into looks, so that's a factor for me. When i'm racing, I'm actually pretending to drive that car. At my work (mechanic) I'm constantly jumping into cars all day..all different types and makes, so the game is an extension of this. Yeah, I was also led to believe the Golf is a super-handling car after hearing how many successes it's had in rallying and stuff; but remember, when you buy the Golf in the game, you're buying a car that's built for the average everyday practical family type...it hasn't been souped up yet!

So that's where it stands, I'm a GT2 fanatic, I love the variety & fun of it, and I like making it more challenging. I think you're a GT1 fanatic since it's more of an expert's game, not quite as wussy as GT2, and perhaps you're not as easily bored as I am. :)

BTW, my thoughts go to you TMM, and anyone else in England or any part of the world that's been bombed. Hopefully you, your friends, & family weren't affected by this crazyness.

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
BTW, my thoughts go to you TMM, and anyone else in England or any part of the world that's been bombed. Hopefully you, your friends, & family weren't affected by this crazyness.

Thanks PB. As far as I know no-one I know was caught up in the bombing. What can you say, the Irish tried for years to undermine the establishment with bombs, although they generally gave warnings first, to no avail. How long the world will have to bow to the threat of these cowardly attacks who can say, lets hope that by 2012 when London hosts the Olympics the world politics will have moved into a more peacful era.

TMM
Thanks PB. As far as I know no-one I know was caught up in the bombing. What can you say, the Irish tried for years to undermine the establishment with bombs, although they generally gave warnings first, to no avail. How long the world will have to bow to the threat of these cowardly attacks who can say, lets hope that by 2012 when London hosts the Olympics the world politics will have moved into a more peacful era.

It doesn't help when people say "the irish" instead of the ira, most people in the republic dont care about the north and all that crap so we're not all killers. Anyway, this is a gt1 forum, what the hell are you talking about?!!

Ah man, I can't remember the GT1 intro! :scared: My copy got really scratched (fell out of it's case inside a bag) and now the intro won't play. bugger. :grumpy:

Parnelli Bone
... the Viper (my fave in GT1) sounded better than the smoother GT2 engine...

Yeah, the Viper was gorgeous. Remember I held a drift through the whole long corner at Autumn Ring Full, being ill and home from school. The Viper was a king in GT1! 👍

barryl85
I've just bought a copy of GT1 and 2 off ebay to get back into them as my brother stole my ps1 and all my games when he moved house, i miss them so much! i loved the dodge concept(copperhead) in GT1 and the GTO LM race car and the FTO LM - but my fav cars for handling and accelleration was either the skyline or the subaru impreza rally car - (did anyone else notice in GT1 when you boughht a silver car you could tune it up more, e.g. i liked the purple skyline then racing mod red and yellow outline but it would only tune up to 650bhp or something but if you buy a silver one it would tune up to 900+bhp???)

If you bought a copy of the 2nd game, you will soon find out that it actually got the Honda Accord Type-R, which you are saying is missing from the GT Series.. ;)

eiriksmil
Yeah, the Viper was gorgeous. Remember I held a drift through the whole long corner at Autumn Ring Full, being ill and home from school. The Viper was a king in GT1! 👍

I totally learned to drift in a Viper by accident. I remember reading the GT manual where it explains what drifting is and I thought yeah, but that's advanced stuff, I'll never be able to do that. But one day at Grand Valley in turn 1 sure enough I got sideways with full opposite lock steering without even trying!

Funny thing was, in GT2, I barely touched the Viper since there's hundreds of other sports cars....but in GT1? I lived in that car for a couple months, man.

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
I totally learned to drift in a Viper by accident.

Exactly. My king drift was also made by accident. Oh, how I love the GT1. The Viper from GT1 isn't in GT4, is it? I know the GTS is still in, but that's the 99 version. On GT1 it was the RT/10 and the... Classic blue with the white stripes!

Indeed, the viper is the production car king in GT1 :) . The first car i attempted to slide with was the Tom's Castrol Supra GT. It drifted through the corner just as good as a Scalextric car is on its magnetic rails. :)

That's true. The blue & white Viper is only in GT1. In GT2 & 3, they've got black & white, silver & blue, and red & white. I think somewhere i read that the blue & white version was some sort of special based on a race car..I forget.

Last edited:
I love this game so much. It reminds you of the old days when you raced cars just cuz they look cool or were just fun to drive. I remember when I found the ultimate cheat for this game. YOu just save your money for a Viper and do the Unmoded car championship and end up with millions when your done.

Back