Get back on the track.... after crash or spin

• Thread starter Mixolydian
  • 14 comments
What do you do to get back on the track after you're off? It doesn't matter if it's a crash or spin.
Especially in the daily races or FIA.

The goal is to be back as fast as you can, so with little time loss or just accept your time loss.

Last edited:
If you've crashed your car is most likely ghosted so pulling straight back out onto the racing line is fine.

Not necessarily. I've been knocked off track plenty of times by people going off-track and swerving back on. Today's manu being a perfect example.

It's just a question. No judgement. I'm just curious to know what people do.
Are you just accepting the time loss and stay calm or do you want to come back on track and how do you do it.

It's just a question. No judgement. I'm just curious to know what people do.
Are you just accepting the time loss and stay calm or do you want to come back on track and how do you do it.

Honestly, it depends on where you are after you've been knocked off track. Also, daily races tend to respawn you back onto the track if you're more than a few meters off the track or facing the wrong direction. FIA races don't.

If you're head on into a barrier, you may be better off reversing away from the barrier before trying to turn yourself back into the right direction. If you're in sand or gravel, drop into low gear and ease onto the throttle to gain some traction. Either way, you're going to be dealing with dirty tires for a while after you get back onto the track; which means you're going to have reduced traction until they clean themselves off.

As other have said, you want to get back on the track safely as well as quickly. It's common for people to swerve back onto the track with no regard for oncoming traffic. I've seen it happen many times where somebody swerves back onto the track in such a way that it's impossible for oncoming traffic to avoid them and another crash is caused. Take a moment to get your bearings.

If you've crashed your car is most likely ghosted so pulling straight back out onto the racing line is fine.

You'd think so but the ghosting does not always work, eventually you'll cause a crash doing this. Either you'll un-ghost at just the wrong time for another car (like one inside you) or your ghost car will be solid for others. I always try to avoid any ghost cars for these two reasons.

Then if the driver was lower rated than you are, the risk of a crash rejoining like that would be far greater too, as the other drivers would have less skill and will be less likely to anticipate and avoid the rejoining car.

The best thing to do is join in a predictable manner, carefully easing back on, no sharp angle rejoins for instance, of course this is likely not the quickest way to recover and it isn't always possible and you could still accidently end up in someone's way, however you rejoin the track.

When I get knocked off track, I seem to end up in last place 10 seconds behind the rest of the field. Other cars go off just in front of me, or just behind me, and 2 corners later they're back on my tail - don't know how they manage it!
Auto drive perhaps? Saw someone in a lobby yesterday always hitting auto drive for the death chicane! It wasn't quick but he didn't crash. Have seen some people get away with incidents in very strange ways too and assumed they'd hit the button to go into auto drive

Not that there's a better way but I do hate how inconsistent the crashes are.

Sometimes it re spawns sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you can get right back on the road, sometimes you spin around over and over. Sometimes cars need TCS to get moving. Sometimes the car ghosts as you re enter, sometimes you get hit by multiple cars.

Again, there's no better way, accidents are random. But I do wish there was a limit of maybe 2 seconds max. to get back to running speed.

I wait until it's safe and reenter the track. My goal is to not ruin someone else's race while trying to save mine. Getting back on track as soon as possible runs the risk of causing a collision and ruining your race even more.

Seems respectful and logic!

Honestly, it depends on where you are after you've been knocked off track. Also, daily races tend to respawn you back onto the track if you're more than a few meters off the track or facing the wrong direction. FIA races don't.

If you're head on into a barrier, you may be better off reversing away from the barrier before trying to turn yourself back into the right direction. If you're in sand or gravel, drop into low gear and ease onto the throttle to gain some traction. Either way, you're going to be dealing with dirty tires for a while after you get back onto the track; which means you're going to have reduced traction until they clean themselves off.

Indeed, but with tCS at 0 it's hard to get back ofcourse

When I get knocked off track, I seem to end up in last place 10 seconds behind the rest of the field. Other cars go off just in front of me, or just behind me, and 2 corners later they're back on my tail - don't know how they manage it!

I see that too in races, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they do that all the time. Maybe they're just lucky that time. You also see a lot of crashes where the cars are offtrack for a longer time. But if they have found a way how to do it fast, then I'm very fond to learn it;-)

Auto drive perhaps? Saw someone in a lobby yesterday always hitting auto drive for the death chicane! It wasn't quick but he didn't crash. Have seen some people get away with incidents in very strange ways too and assumed they'd hit the button to go into auto drive

Auto drive works in chicanes ofcourse, but the ghosting happens a few seconds later then the beginning of the auto drive.
But auto drive does not work after you crash, eg. on sand or in the grass

Not that there's a better way but I do hate how inconsistent the crashes are.

Sometimes it re spawns sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you can get right back on the road, sometimes you spin around over and over. Sometimes cars need TCS to get moving. Sometimes the car ghosts as you re enter, sometimes you get hit by multiple cars.

Again, there's no better way, accidents are random. But I do wish there was a limit of maybe 2 seconds max. to get back to running speed.

Yes, the crashes seems to be very inconsistent. You never know how the game responds to the crash or spin. Sometimes you can come back very easily, sometimes it's very hard to even hit the gas very gently and you're only spinning around.

Nice to read all the experiences

What do you do to get back on the track after you're off? It doesn't matter if it's a crash or spin.
Especially in the daily races or FIA.

The goal is to be back as fast as you can, so with little time loss or just accept your time loss.
Depending where I go off, I'll enter as close to the edge of the track as possible.

If there are a pack of cars coming, I'll try to ride on the grass or runoff until a gap.

Tracks like last week Race C, there are barriers each side with no run off or grass. I would make sure to hold a line and allow the car behind, enough time to take the beneficial inside line or the racing line, to the next corner.

Be safe out there.

I get back on the track as quickly as possible, but in a predictable way. Slowly creep on to the track being mindful of the racing line.
A collision with someone else will only slow me down further.

Back