Get 'vibration' into home build cockpit?

• Thread starter Gosser
  • 11 comments
TGOSVIG
Hello everyone

Yesterday I finished my project of building a racing cockpit, and I love it :bowdown:

I was wondering, if it is possible to add some kind of vibration, to make the experience even better? Have any of you guys experienced with that? How did you do, and what were your results?

Looking forward to hear from you!

Best Regards,
Thomas

There are several threads on using a Buttkicker or similiar product. It primarily depends on your setup. There is a Buttkicker Gamer which is best used if you don't have Home theater with a receiver. The Buttkicker Wireless is a great setup if you have a Home theater setup. Can you post pics of your cockpit and we can try and help you.

Link to Buttkicker Gamer: ( www.buttkicker.com )
http://www.thebuttkicker.com/gaming/index.htm

Last edited:
There is also a product called the "Earthquake", just as good as the Buttkicker but cheaper, you aren't paying extra for a fancy look and the name.

Thank you, but I am not prepared to spend about $5-600.

Would it be stupid to choose two "Aura Pro Bass Shakers“ instead? Thanks.

Your best bet is to go for the new "Buttkicker Gamer 2"
Its an all in one package with everything you need.

These are about $130 on amazon or if your UK based you have to buy through the UK auth dealer, these guys "The Shaker Centre" but expect to pay £150

By all means if you dont mind spending more the "BKA 300" is a unit several of us here use. This has more asskicking power with 300 watts of amplification and a wireless remote but quite a bit more expensive particulary so in the UK @ £400. Indeed as DOC says it is also possible to buy various makes/models of transducers on their own like the "Quake" but these require high demands on amplifers and usually operate @4ohms and not the typical 8ohms. More headaches this way but of course better results are possible.

Dont try to compare these "transducers" to like adding a subwoofer.
They give much more punch in their effects and the result from the devices is different.

If not already clear I highly recommend everyone with a cockpit go with one of these, its quite striking how cars,tracks and tarmac can feel different.
Im going to utilise both audible rumble from dual subwoofers and multiple Buttkickers but its a bit of an ongoing experiment for my own cockpit.

Last edited:
Your best bet is to go for the new "Buttkicker Gamer 2"
Its an all in one package with everything you need.

These are about $130 on amazon or if your UK based you have to buy through the UK auth dealer, these guys "The Shaker Centre" but expect to pay £150

By all means if you dont mind spending more the "BKA 300" is a unit several of us here use. This has more asskicking power with 300 watts of amplification and a wireless remote but quite a bit more expensive particulary so in the UK @ £400. Indeed as DOC says it is also possible to buy various makes/models of transducers on their own like the "Quake" but these require high demands on amplifers and usually operate @4ohms and not the typical 8ohms. More headaches this way but of course better results are possible.

Dont try to compare these "transducers" to like adding a subwoofer.
They give much more punch in their effects and the result from the devices is different.

If not already clear I highly recommend everyone with a cockpit go with one of these, its quite striking how cars,tracks and tarmac can feel different.
Im going to utilise both audible rumble from dual subwoofers and multiple Buttkickers but its a bit of an ongoing experiment for my own cockpit.

I don't have any experience with the Buttkicker Gamer, but I do use the BKA300 with an Onkyo 805 reciever. The reciever allows me to adjust BK as necessary depending on the game I am playing. But like Mr Latte said "feeling" the tarmac, rumble strips in the curves, Walls :crazy:, and for Rally - Jumps you will never play without a transducer (BK, etc) again. FPS are another story, I play with many GTP'rs on Battlefield Bad Company 2 and the BK allows me to "feel" the explosions and gun shots. The unfair advantage of the BK to other players is I can "Feel" any tanks that are coming in my vicinity, I can "Feel" if someone is walking on a floor in a building I am occuping that I may be "Sniping" from. The list goes on, and I have used my BKA300 for about a year and a half now and I can't imagine gaming without it.

The only slight problem with these and GT5P is the wind noise, to get decent rumble from kerbs you have to set the output quite high, trouble is that the wind noise seems to be at about the same frequency as the kerb/collision noise, meaning you get alot of rumble at high speed.

While some might say a car will vibrate at high speed, it won't vibrate that much, unless you hit a large pothole etc.

Hopefully this will get fixed in GT5, as I always thought the sound effects from the in car view sounded like the car had no windows, you hear other cars engines much too loudly and can't hear your own at times.

Having said all that, having one of these LFE devices does add to the overall immersion, and hopefully this will only improve wih GT5.

jswilli1

It was actually you that got me into these and your comments last year made me purchase the BKA 300.

Doc makes a good remark about the wind in GT5P, although personally I find cockpit view is best in GT5P with the Buttkickers as it isnt effected as much with the wind noise. Cars themselves create a lot of bass in the 2-4K rev range and then as the speed increases the higher rev sound does less but by then the wind/tarmac rumble increases to the point it takes over.

Im no expert at all but have been testing my combination of subs and Buttkickers thats going into the cockpit Im doing for the past few weeks at weekends.
If you guys want more control over how each game will effect your Buttkicker then add in an equaliser. This will let you have manual control over all the various bass frequencies. The BKA 300 and new Gamer 2 does have presets but with those you dont get manual control. With a seperate amplifer inc equaliser I can now alter how my subs and Buttkickers for the steering and pedal sections respond with the eq control :)

Last edited:
Back