Getting a better launch?

  • Thread starter Thread starter iiAmLucifer
  • 14 comments
  • 1,089 views
Messages
15
Messages
meldogg
Alright so I've been doing some drags online with friends, and I've noticed off the line they always get a MUCH faster launch. I never really paid attention to my launches during the a spec races cause I would always catch up, and never saw any particularly fast launching. How do I get a better launch in general?
I'm using a DS3 not a wheel.
 
You need more info.

For instance-

Are your online starts penalized, or not? Makes a big difference.
Have you tuned any suspension settings?
What is everyone, including you, driving?

I'm sure there are more, but I'm too sleepy to answer vague questions.

Without knowing more, I can only offer the engineers answer for everything...

"It depends."

OT- I want my f'n Ferrari. I gave you my soul years ago, and still have no Ferrari. Grrr!
 
I have the whole car tuned, Nissan GT-R specV. And what do you mean by penalized?
Also use: Fully Tuned Amuse S2000 GT1, Fully Tuned Veyron when people are using them, Fully tuned Corvette ZR1 C6 RM, and My Tuned Samba bus when people are running with them for fun.
 
Your RPM is also a big key to get a good jump. Know the power curve of the car that your using.
 
Your RPM is also a big key to get a good jump. Know the power curve of the car that your using.

Not true.

Accleration off the line is determined by many much more important aspects. Besides, it torque which plays a bigger part in acceration, whereas I feel you believe it to be bhp. Correct me if I'm presuming you wrongly.

Many cars have a peak bhp around 6-8000rpm, but you'd see a better launch at around 3-5000rpm. ie, in the peak torque band, preferably towards the lower end so that you can accelerate in to the peak torque rpm band.

Even then, it's the traction (tyres and road surface) which determines if this is the optimal rpm to a pull away.

When they tested the new 2011 GTR, they found they could get the same 0-60 time by pulling away at 4000rpm as the could from not revving and just pulling away at idle.

Bottom line - there are things to bear in mind to get the best launch, but there are no defining sets of rules.
 
Last edited:
Hold handbrake.... rwd & 4wd cars only.
 
Alright I'm gonna be more specific now, I was too vague.
I'm using a GT-R specV '09, fully tuned, top speed is around 230-240, Sports Soft tires, Max. Power- 843HP/7400RPM
Max Torque- 644ft-lb/6400RPM
I'm doing 1/4 mile drags on indy.

Do I just need to experiment until I find the best launch?
 
Last edited:
Let go just after 1 on the countdown!
 
Alright I'm gonna be more specific now, I was too vague.
I'm using a GT-R specV '09, fully tuned, top speed is around 230-240, Sports Soft tires, Max. Power- 843HP/7400RPM
Max Torque- 644ft-lb/6400RPM
I'm doing 1/4 mile drags on indy.

Do I just need to experiment until I find the best launch?

1. Your speed is wayyy to high. At Indy with that car, set your top speed to 160 (we're talking mph right?)

2. You need to break that car in. It is capable of getting 868 HP

3. TCS off, 1st gear should be as long as possible shortening the other ones.

4. Take off any areo kits you installed. They will not help you on drag.

That is all I will say :)
 
It can heavily depend on what car your using for example I know a lot of people who use high powered RWD cars who have trouble launching and a simple fix for that is to try and launch in higher gears such as second or third. You can also go into the tuning aspect of things but I wouldn't be the one to know to much about that.

Edit: I just saw that you were using a GTR which means your launch should be great for the 1/4 mile at Indy, sure you can improve it some but it should be pretty damn good already.
 
LSD:

Maximum
Minimum
Minimum

it works better with AWD and FR/MR...
 
Not true.

Accleration off the line is determined by many much more important aspects. Besides, it torque which plays a bigger part in acceration, whereas I feel you believe it to be bhp. Correct me if I'm presuming you wrongly.

Many cars have a peak bhp around 6-8000rpm, but you'd see a better launch at around 3-5000rpm. ie, in the peak torque band, preferably towards the lower end so that you can accelerate in to the peak torque rpm band.

Even then, it's the traction (tyres and road surface) which determines if this is the optimal rpm to a pull away.

When they tested the new 2011 GTR, they found they could get the same 0-60 time by pulling away at 400rpm as the could from not revving and just pulling away at idle.

Bottom line - there are things to bear in mind to get the best launch, but there are no defining sets of rules.

This is true about the GTR, but keep in mind some of the Drag people are pulling away from the line at a higher RPM. Try pulling away from the line in a F10 at 5500 RPM and then try it at 6500 RPM and you'll see what I'm speaking of.
 
Simple launch just to get going: full throttle and brake, then release brake when it's time to go.
 
Thanks everyone, I did some reading on drag tuning and I'm about to test my new tune on the GT-R.
 
Back