Getting a new amp.Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ryan2
  • 12 comments
  • 658 views
Messages
3,769
Well, I have to get a new amp since the service to my old one will more than likely be more than I payed for the thing. I'm thinking maybe a Marshall 15, 30, or 50 watt combo (Specifically, the MG series), or maybe a little Crate or something..any suggestions?
 
Can you afford the Fender Princeton?
Musician's Friend has them pretty reasonable.
Good Amp, lots of power, lots of "headroom" if you like a clean amp. It will also get a "dirty" sound really easy with some knob turning.
 
Do you want tubes or solid state? Do you want to use it for gigs, or just practice? What features do you need?
How much do you want to spend? $100, $200 or $400 dollars?

Marshall makes a nice solid state practice amp that is 6.5 inch speaker and 15 watts of power. It goes for $70.00 at www.musiciansfriend.com and at other places.

Peavey makes a small practice amp that is solid state called the Rage 158. It has "tube emulation" called "Trans Tube," but it's 100% solid state. It has 15 watss and an 8 inch speaker. It goes for around $100.00. I have an old model and it's a handy, beefy sounding amp with lots of overdrive.

Let me/us know what you need and I/we can help you more.
 
Originally posted by Solid Lifters
Do you want tubes or solid state? Do you want to use it for gigs, or just practice? What features do you need?
How much do you want to spend? $100, $200 or $400 dollars?

Marshall makes a nice solid state practice amp that is 6.5 inch speaker and 15 watts of power. It goes for $70.00 at www.musiciansfriend.com and at other places.

Peavey makes a small practice amp that is solid state called the Rage 158. It has "tube emulation" called "Trans Tube," but it's 100% solid state. It has 15 watss and an 8 inch speaker. It goes for around $100.00. I have an old model and it's a handy, beefy sounding amp with lots of overdrive.

Let me/us know what you need and I/we can help you more.
I have the same little Peavey!'
Cool little amp, and it distorts real nice once it's been on for a bit. Just like a real Tube amp.:D
 
Originally posted by Gil
I have the same little Peavey!'
Cool little amp, and it distorts real nice once it's been on for a bit. Just like a real Tube amp.:D

My theory is, you can't call yourself a real guitar player unless you have owned a Peavey Rage at least once in your life. :lol:

My son is using this amp mostly now. It still sounds like a modern day amp with that beefy sounding distortion. Have you figured out how Peavey makes it sound so thick?
 
Originally posted by Solid Lifters
My theory is, you can't call yourself a real guitar player unless you have owned a Peavey Rage at least once in your life. :lol:

My son is using this amp mostly now. It still sounds like a modern day amp with that beefy sounding distortion. Have you figured out how Peavey makes it sound so thick?

No, I haven't figured out what Peavey is doing with them. But If I ever get the Gibson ES-135 I've been pining over, I want a 40 watt Peavey to play it thru.👍

Peavey equipment may be as bulletproof as Fender's, If not moreso.
 
Well what I'm looking for is something that's suitable for jamming with drummer friends and practicing at home, so around 30-60 watts..I see that the one Fender amp that Gil mentioned is 65, that'd probably be about perfect..I'd say I'd have to go to a music shop and play the different amps, though.
 
Originally posted by Ryan
Well what I'm looking for is something that's suitable for jamming with drummer friends and practicing at home, so around 30-60 watts..I see that the one Fender amp that Gil mentioned is 65, that'd probably be about perfect..I'd say I'd have to go to a music shop and play the different amps, though.

If you're going to be carting the amp back and forth a lot, Solid state amps have two major pluses.
First, they are a whale of a lot lighter in weight.
Secondly, they tend to be sturdier than tube amps electronically.
 
I'd satay away from Peavy. I had a Fender DeVille 4X10. I loved that thing. Excelent power, overdrive, and reverb. I never turned it more than halfway up, ever. If I ever get another, though, I'd get a Fender Twin. It has to be tubes or you'll end up getting a tube emulator anyway, so why be fake? The DeVille should run about $500 if you look hard enough.
 
So many toys, so little time.. Have a Dynacord Echocord sitting on the shelf next to me, laughing, and begging to be used more often.. Fully tubed with a tape echo / reverb unit.. (One record, three playback heads).. You can basically buy any amp and just slap this 35 yo baby in front of it and get the phattest tube sound.. Have NO idea what it's worth these days though. But probably not much... Find an Echocord son - Find an Echocord....
 
Originally posted by milefile
I'd satay away from Peavy. I had a Fender DeVille 4X10. I loved that thing. Excelent power, overdrive, and reverb. I never turned it more than halfway up, ever. If I ever get another, though, I'd get a Fender Twin. It has to be tubes or you'll end up getting a tube emulator anyway, so why be fake? The DeVille should run about $500 if you look hard enough.

The Twin is one hell of an amp. Not a good choice for Ryan. First off, it weighs a ton, it cost as much as a small used car, it needs a lot of tender loving care and it's very expensive to take care of. On the plus side, it has tones for days and it's one diversified amp. It can play any style of music.

The amp very close to the Twin is the 65 Deluxe Reverb. It's a single 12 inch speaker combo with 22 watts of power. It sounds just like the Twin, but a touch sweeter, and little less "in your face." It's also about $400.00 cheaper than the Twin.
 
Originally posted by Gil
No, I haven't figured out what Peavey is doing with them. But If I ever get the Gibson ES-135 I've been pining over, I want a 40 watt Peavey to play it thru.👍

Peavey equipment may be as bulletproof as Fender's, If not moreso.

The Rage doesn't have a completely dry signal. Peavey runs it with a little touch of delay and reverb, mixed with a slight octave effect. You can hardly tell it's there. This plus it's slow attack rate really makes it sound thick and fat. You can really hear the difference if you pick and mute the string very quickly, and compare it with a Marshall.
 
There's also Mesa Boogie. Very expensive. A dream brand of sorts. I've never been able to afford one but they are all hand made in the USA and are effing amazing.
 
Back