Getting back in to riding bikes and well......

NocturnalPS

?¿That's Odd?¿
Staff Emeritus
United States
Tx, Alamo City
XRaptor529
First off after some how getting side tracked about 5 years ago im finally going to get back in to riding bikes. Went to a bike shop today and just wanted to see what you guys think. Im looking at a Gary Fisher SUGAR4+. Very sweet looking bike. Took it out for a test ride and well let me tell you, this bad boy is very responsive. You hit the pedals and you take off. You tap the breaks and be prepared to stop in a hurry. Most of the components are shimano, and all I have to say about this bike is a very big improvement from what I had before. For those of you in to mountain biking do you think paying $1,100 too much? Or is there some other bikes that you may know of i should get for that price?:P Any info would be appreciated.

I have a bike that cost about $400, down from $600. It is a "Learsport" BW 3000. If you're really into bikes, $1,100 will probably be a suitable price for a Very Good Mountain bike, but if you are just using it for casual riding, you might want a lower priced bike...unless you have a lot of spare cash lying around.

EDIT: I just realised 1,100 is about 2,000 AU Dollars! Really, i don't see a need for such an expensive bike unless you regularly compete in events...:eek: Remember my bike is only in AU, so it would've cost about $400 US.

Well im would use it every weekend, weather permitting, but hey i would love to enter a bike race at some point. Nothing professional or anything. My last mountain bike i purchased was about $800 US dollars. :) But i do know pretty much what im looking for and just trying to get other ideas. See if theres any other bikes that are going for that price with pretty much the same set of features as this gary fisher one. Plus weight is pretty important to me. I think this one is a little over 20 pounds.

In my opinion i think you can't get a pretty good all around casual/racing bike (road or mtn) for under a $1000 U.S. I like to mtn bike but i mainly stick to the road. I have a $800 Lemond Nevada City. I can't afford a $1000 bike but it's working for now but as soon as i get a bunch'a money i'm gonna get a nicer bike.

Glad to see there's some other cyclists on the board. (Road bikers, Speak Up!!)

1100 is quite a bit of money. How hard do you plan on riding? I just got a 2002 Yukon(1 model down from Iguana) for around 350. It's a nice hardtail, RockShox Judy TT, with lifetime warrenty for frame, 1 year for all parts.

If you go really hard core, perhaps full suspension, I don't know though...

Check out www.bikemag.com and use their forums. Those guys know their stuff!

Originally posted by Raptor65
In my opinion i think you can't get a pretty good all around casual/racing bike (road or mtn) for under a $1000 U.S. I like to mtn bike but i mainly stick to the road. I have a $800 Lemond Nevada City. I can't afford a $1000 bike but it's working for now but as soon as i get a bunch'a money i'm gonna get a nicer bike.

Glad to see there's some other cyclists on the board. (Road bikers, Speak Up!!)
Yeah i still have my old road and mountain bike. I spent $800 + on each one so thats what i want to keep the price around. ;)

Oh yeah almost forgot. Im about 90% sure im getting it tomorrow. Heres the pic of my baby...:drool:

Attachments

• sugar4plus.jpg
    sugar4plus.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 82
That looks really nice!! My dad has a Gary Fisher Big Sur hardtail. I use it every now and then.

Go tear up the trails. Do you guys even have mtns in San Antonio? We can't get away from them in Greenville. I love the mountains.

P.S- Check out my Graham Watson thread!!:D Please :(

Make sure that the store you buy your bike from has a good name to it. Also, make sure that the shocks, fork, and wheel have good reputations as well. I can't really say anything for the other components, mostly because many people put all new components on regardless of what came on their bike. They like their bikes "specialized," but when everyone puts the same components on, is it specialized then?

Originally posted by Raptor65
That looks really nice!! My dad has a Gary Fisher Big Sur hardtail. I use it every now and then.

Go tear up the trails. Do you guys even have mtns in San Antonio? We can't get away from them in Greenville. I love the mountains.

P.S- Check out my Graham Watson thread!!:D Please :(
Not too many here in SA but just north of here about 20 -30 min drive is the hill country and well.... no Big mountains or anything but pretty big hills. :P

Oh BTW cant get it as of yet. Pretty sure though by next month or begining of Jun.

Originally posted by rjensen11
Make sure that the store you buy your bike from has a good name to it. Also, make sure that the shocks, fork, and wheel have good reputations as well. I can't really say anything for the other components, mostly because many people put all new components on regardless of what came on their bike. They like their bikes "specialized," but when everyone puts the same components on, is it specialized then?
As for the componets its like i said before..
Most of the components are shimano
You just cant go wrong with those. As for the fork its a pretty well known name Manitou and the rear shock is a Fox. Both names are pretty well known.

$1,100 isn't too much for a bike. I had a set of halogen lights on my old Specialized that cost about $550.:banghead: Best damn lights ever, though.:lol: My dad uses an S-Works E5 Road(MSRP is a ridiculous $4,120 USD) for his triathlons. I've never even touched it - too scared. I have a slightly modded(cf handlebar, cf seat post, aftermarket pedals) Specialized Epic Disc now. It's baaad. I've never had a nicer, smoother bike before this, and I've owned several Specialized bikes in the past. I need to take it out to the ole' national forest, and tear it up a bit. All I've been doing lately is girlie neighborhood/trail riding - bah.

That bike looks great, and all, but I won't ever ride another bike w/out disc brakes again. Once you go disc, you'll never go back.:P

Mmm, Karpiel.:drool:

Attachments

• karpiel.jpg
    karpiel.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 63
Originally posted by Josh
$1,100 isn't too much for a bike. I had a set of halogen lights on my old Specialized that cost about $550.:banghead: Best damn lights ever, though.:lol: My dad uses an S-Works E5 Road(MSRP is a ridiculous $4,120 USD) for his triathlons. I've never even touched it - too scared. I have a slightly modded(cf handlebar, cf seat post, aftermarket pedals) Specialized Epic Disc now. It's baaad. I've never had a nicer, smoother bike before this, and I've owned several Specialized bikes in the past. I need to take it out to the ole' national forest, and tear it up a bit. All I've been doing lately is girlie neighborhood/trail riding - bah.

That bike looks great, and all, but I won't ever ride another bike w/out disc brakes again. Once you go disc, you'll never go back.:P

Mmm, Karpiel.:drool:
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: WHAT IN THE HELL IS THAT THING? What kind of crotch rocket did you create? It looks soo ugly yet soo cool at the same time!

:odd: And is the front wheel smaller then the rear one?

It looks cool, but I've never really liked mudguards on a bike, I mean, whats the point of going offroad without getting a bit muddy?

Originally posted by Cobraboy
It looks cool, but I've never really liked mudguards on a bike, I mean, whats the point of going offroad without getting a bit muddy?
No kidding... I think that would just add extra unwanted weight.

I'm too unfit too ride my bike seriously now, I took a ride over some hills a week ago (2km, twisty as well) and got about 100m up and stopped and pushed the rest of the way up the hill. But it was fun going down, I think I might've hit about 70km/h, squeezing the front brakes was fun, luckly the shocks took up the force of the braking, or else I would've gone over the bars.

I love speed.

That isn't my bike, and I friggin' hate those mudguards as well.

I've had a Specialized for about 8 years now. I guess it's time for a new bike (: The one I have is a Crossroads ... kind of a trail bike I suppose.

A new bike for me would have to be a road bike, though, because I like to actually cover a lot of ground when I go riding.

Gerrr im getting tired of sitting on my a** (butt) I need to get the money for this bike. I hate wating.

I wish i had about 2,000 lying around...my bike is fine now, there is a bit of bush down around near my house...and a very steep downhill driveway that i've gone down once, with my friend on a scooter. (I was on my bike..going down on a scooter would've been pretty scary...he almost went off when he went off the actual asphalt and hit the dirt, lucky he didn't go off the cliffside, rather the rock side...there's a cliff drop of at least 50m on the side of the asphalt driveway...)

Originally posted by DODGE the VIPER
I wish i had about 2,000 lying around...my bike is fine now, there is a bit of bush down around near my house...and a very steep downhill driveway that i've gone down once, with my friend on a scooter. (I was on my bike..going down on a scooter would've been pretty scary...he almost went off when he went off the actual asphalt and hit the dirt, lucky he didn't go off the cliffside, rather the rock side...there's a cliff drop of at least 50m on the side of the asphalt driveway...)

ahhh, that would be fun

Where I go, there's this one steep entrance to a trail, it's an asphault entry, but on the bottom there are holes in the asphault that are about 6" deep and about 1.5-2 feet long and wide. Needless to say, when you bomb that hill and go around the bend at the bottom, watch out!:eek:!

Well im getting this bike tomorrow. Finally after a few weeks of talking about it i finally get to get this baby. :)

Man this bike is the (S***) Poo. Love it soo much. Anyhow i ended up paying $1,519.11for all my items. Shoes and shorts and all that good stuff. Man i love this bike. :)

Back