Getting hit from behind is my fault?

• Thread starter slthree
  • 16 comments
United States
Fact Central Florida
slthree
I decided to come back to GTS after not playing it for a very long time. I normally play PC2.

I was doing the group 4 races at Monza. My expectations are low as I only aspire to move up in the field. It doesn't matter if it's only one spot. If I can move up a spot it's a success to me.

I am not fast but my sportsmanship rating is an S.

Perhaps that's more information than anyone needs but here's what happened to me:

In two separate races I was hit from behind. In both instances I was given a one second penalty and an SR down message for "collision with another car".

How is this possible?

I decided to come back to GTS after not playing it for a very long time. I normally play PC2.

I was doing the group 4 races at Monza. My expectations are low as I only aspire to move up in the field. It doesn't matter if it's only one spot. If I can move up a spot it's a success to me.

Perhaps that's more information than anyone needs but here's what happened to me:

In two separate races I was hit from behind. In both instances I was given a one second penalty and an SR down message for "collision with another car".

How is this possible?

Because Polophony has no idea how to create a penalty system. It has been nothing short of a joke for well over a year.

Because Polophony has no idea how to create a penalty system. It has been nothing short of a joke for well over a year.
Thank you for the reply.

That's quite a shame. If this happens often what is to prevent somebody (a poor sport) from purposely hitting the vehicle in front of them to give them a one second penalty?

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply.

That's quite a shame. If this happens often what is to prevent somebody (a poor sport) from purposely hitting the vehicle in front of them to give them a one second penalty?

Absolutely nothing. If you get high up enough in the ratings, you'll find people quite skilled in gaming the penalty system to their favor.

It's quite frustrating. There are so many good things about this game. The penalty system isn't one of them.

I think it just depends on who's on throttle/brakes when it happens... I ran into the back of someone yesterday and I got a two second penalty for it which I deserved.

The system is definitely broken but many other variables to consider. If you brake early and get hit from behind you'll likely get the penalty... if you brake coming in too hot and hit someone you'll get penalty.

Last edited:
It can be annoying as it forces you to drive an extra car length at some tracks if you don't trust the driver in front. The intimidation factor of riding on someone's backside can be reduced if the driver in front knows he can effectively brake check you without any penalty (other than the risk of being punted into another dimension).

I think it just depends on who's on throttle/brakes when it happens... I ran into the back of someone yesterday and I got a two second penalty for it which I deserved.

The system is definitely broken but many other variables to consider. If you brake early and get hit from behind you'll likely get the penalty... if you brake coming in too hot and hit someone you'll get penalty.
Exactly spot on. For instance if you don't have the pace and are slow off corners and get hit from behind while you were not on throttle you get the penalty. This might be their idea of trying to fight dirty brake checks but most of the time it doesn't work the way it was intended

Exactly spot on. For instance if you don't have the pace and are slow off corners and get hit from behind while you were not on throttle you get the penalty. This might be their idea of trying to fight dirty brake checks but most of the time it doesn't work the way it was intended

This sounds to me like the system may be a little more elegant/complicated/sophisticated than we think, despite the shortcomings?

How is this possible?
My best guest is if you are hit from behind the server may only see your car at the time of penalty if your car has a lower ms ping time then the car hitting you or cause by lag and connection to the internet.

Last edited:
I have a Penalty question , Is there a penalty given to the driver in the front car if he brakes within the first two distance marker of any turn and get hit from behind.

In real life motorsport, the guy behind has the responsibility not to make contact, but the guy in front can't crowd you off the road, weave in the braking zone or brake check.

In GTS world, they love a divebomb and give a penalty to the guy who stops the bomber flying off the corner. Even worse if you then hit a barrier as a result, get a double penalty for that!! :D

How is this possible?

It's obvious and very logical...... if you hadn't been there, you wouldn't have got hit.
Obviously your fault :lol:

How is this possible?
It's a hard one to square properly. If they make it so just guy behind always gets punished then you will just have loads of drivers abusing it by braking early into some corners in full knowledge that the person behind will get the penalty.

After all the ways GT Sport has tried to fix penalty system and failed I'm actually in favour now of how iRacing manages it. ALL contact is punished equally. It's blunt but at least it is consistent.

Last edited:
The guy who hits the rear bumper of a car going to a turn has the advantage of brake lights and distance and a full field of view and the car in front only has a mirror and radar to tell of the intentions of the car following. The only shared penalty is the side swipe where both divers are equal to see possible contact.
Racing and real life driving are one and the same the only difference is the competition factor.

Back